Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Need info on Dolby Cat 150 Card (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Need info on Dolby Cat 150 Card
Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2003 10:11 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My CP50 has what appears to be a newer version Cat 150 card which doesn't match the schematic found in the manuals section of this forum. What I have is a CAT 150F Rev 5 module.
Could somebody tell me what this card can do and send me info on it?

I am unable to get audio out of my processor unless I press the OPT Failure switch. I have traced the audio signal to pin 10 of the CAT150F card but there is no output on pin 4 of the card. All operating voltages are present and the mono/stereo select line on pin 14 is high. I feel like I have a defective card but maybe there is something else I need to check.
The L, C, R, LED's are solid on with the S LED not lit.

Thanks!

[ 02-10-2003, 11:50 PM: Message edited by: Sam Hunter ]

|  IP: Logged

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2003 01:20 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A CP-50 must have an external fader (100k linear pot) hooked up or you won't have any sound.

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2003 08:01 AM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got that installed.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-11-2003 08:16 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 150F is a pretty good decoder card Sam. There are a couple of voltage regulators on there that run quite hot and one may have failed. You could remove the 150 card and use either the LT or RT input signal to the 150 to jump over to the L,C,R,S output pins and see if the CP50 passes audio ok. If it does then do an RXO for the 150F. Donno what they charge for that, but it may be as much as the 50 cost you....The 50 is still well worth fixing though.
Mark @ CLACO

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2003 08:28 AM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Mark, I bypassed the card and I get audio.
The Prologic IC doesn't feel warm at all.

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2003 12:51 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OAO [dlp] [evil] [eyes]

[ 02-12-2003, 01:29 PM: Message edited by: Sam Hunter ]

Mark Hathaway
Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2003 07:30 PM      Profile for Mark Hathaway   Email Mark Hathaway   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam, while you have your cp50 apart, check for excess ripple from the power supply, its a non regulated pc with just a few caps and diodes, and the caps are probably quite dry by now.

I've seen 1v p-p ripple on the +24vdc rail (I think it was +24vdc) cause the cat150 (early version with sanyo decoder ic) to make strange noises when the surround gate opens and closes.

Mark Hathaway

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2003 08:34 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did see some ripple on the 24V buss but it didn't look excessive. I sent the card back to the company I bought it from and they said they didn't have another card to replace it with and that he would look around for one. In the meantime I have another source who has a working unit for 100 bucks more that what this one cost plus shipping. I think I might see if they would take this unit back and refund the price and buy the other unit.
What do you do in this kind of situation?
Wait and see I guess.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-12-2003 09:43 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
never had a dead cat 150F yet to deal with
is a 110L or 160 installed

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 02-13-2003 12:42 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam, just jump Lt to L and Rt to R and sit in the middle! [Wink]

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2003 08:17 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or use headphones [Cool]

Hey Gordon,
I have the 110L bypass card in my CP. Will update to the LFE card later, money getting low.

Where would I send this card in to be repaired and what would I be expecting price wise?

[ 02-14-2003, 11:16 AM: Message edited by: Sam Hunter ]

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-15-2003 09:08 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am truly frustrated at this whole deal. Surely somewhere in this country there ought to be a CAT150 card someone could let go of. [Mad]

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-16-2003 01:03 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since they don't often fail most people don't keep a spare lieing on the shelf
contact your local dealer and Dolby will do a repair/ exchange on the 150F some of the older ones the chips just aren't made
Basically the dealer will ship you a card and you pay for it and then get a credit on the old one less the repair cost

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2003 04:57 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the saga continues.
I sent my CAT150F off to be replaced and I recieved a CAT116A card instead. I didn't think much about it at the time as not knowing a whole lot about this thing I figured it was an early version CAT150. Anyway, installed it and and noticed that my right/left and surround works ok but no Center. Got to checking and found out that the CAT116 does not perform the same function as the Cat150 [thumbsdown]
The book says that the Cat116 is to be used in conjuntion with a Cat110 module. Is the Cat110 the same as a Cat110L?
Actually by rereading the manual I find that the CAT116A only decodes the Surround.
Here is my card compliment, can somebody please explain to me whats missing or whatever?
2 Cat108
2 Cat22
1 Cat109
1 Cat110L
1 Cat116A (Was Cat150F)
3 Cat64
1 Cat117
1 Cat112
1 Cat114

Thanks!
It just dawned on me what the difference is between the cat110 and the Cat110L.
The Cat110L bypasses the Cat110/160 and also by turning it around and and plugging it into Slot 7 bypasses the decoder card. Anyway it looks like I have 1/4 of a working system [thumbsdown]

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-01-2003 05:21 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the 110/116 is the original low seperation chipset from sansui and is terrible
Contact a reputable Dolby dealer and do a repair exchange on the 150F as it will be cheaper in the long run with far less frustration as well

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: