Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Absolute Black Masking Material

Author Topic: Absolute Black Masking Material
Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 02-10-2003 10:43 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In another thread, which I can't find at the momemnt, we were talking about screen masking material and I mentioned that I used a material that was highly light absorbant -- any image falling on it is barely visible -- much more so than regular black velour. At the time I didn't know where we purchased this material or what it was called. A number of forum members asked for swatches which I sent them; the hope being that we would eventually find a source for the material.

It was a simple matter of sending a swatch to Rosebrand, one of the biggest suppliers of theatrical fabrics here in NYC. They sent back a near perfect match (theirs is just a tad heavier than ours, which actually is better for durability). They call it Acetate/Nylon Velvet #NFR, Black (naturally) and it comes in 45" bolts.

Rosebrand: here

Rosebrand also carries black chinese silk, which is essential if side masking covers the L & R speakers clusters. Use the NFR velvet at the mask leading edge and then the black chinese silk for the rest of the mask, or at least the section that would cover the speakers at 1.85 or 1.37. The silk is, for all practical purposes, transparant to sound, an important consideration where the speakers would otherwise be covered by heavier velour material.

Frank

|  IP: Logged

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 02-10-2003 10:49 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This was the thread.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 02-11-2003 04:07 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Absolute black" sounds a bit daunting. I hope you don`t get sucked into another dimension when you come too close to the material.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 02-11-2003 08:35 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The masking on our screen is made of black scrim cloth that has 12" strips of Duvetine (sp?) sewn to the inside edges.

We put two pieces of 1/2" pipe in the pockets sewn into the bottom hem of the curtains to hold them taught. The weight, not only keeps the curtains from wrinkling but it makes the edges of the Duvetine straight to mask off the screen.

Yes, when light shines through the screen from backstage you can see through the scrim cloth and screen. When the house lights are on but all the stage lights are out, you can see the white of the screen through the scrim cloth. But, as soon as the house lights go down to 1/2 light you can't see through the scrim. The whole screen looks like a solid wall.

I have actually surpised a person or two by flying the screen out while they were in the auditorium. They didn't realize that the stage was so huge when the screen wasn't there. [Smile]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: