Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Grauman`s Chinese and Radio City Music Hall.

Author Topic: Grauman`s Chinese and Radio City Music Hall.
John Spooner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2003 10:26 AM      Profile for John Spooner   Email John Spooner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Would anyone have some pictures of the projection equipment at these 2 venues If so could you put them up or send them by e-mail to me.
John Spooner. South Australia.

|  IP: Logged

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 02-11-2003 05:59 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 1934 Neumade catalog in the manuals section has a small pic of the RCMH booth as it existed at that time. (Interesting side note: that catalog came from the Williamsburg Theatre, which was the sister theatre to RCMH--both were built by John D. Rockefeller and both opened within a week of each other).

The Chinese theatre had a pair of AA-IIs and a platter as well as of a couple of years ago, although the booth there has apparently been redone. It's a THX house, but sounded horrible at that time. Hopefully, they have improved things there.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2003 07:49 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The good Mr. Hauerslev has an excellent article on the in70mm.com website about Radio City, written by former head projectionist Bob Endres.

Radio City 70mm Film Presentations

I haven't found any pictures of the Chinese booth, either old or new.

Thomas Hauerslev
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2003 02:50 AM      Profile for Thomas Hauerslev   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Hauerslev   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The "Lion King" advert is here.

Will update the images soon.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-12-2003 04:13 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ORC lamphouses? How is anything even visable at all on the screen? Their 2500 watt lamphouses are barely enough to light a 34 foot screen in scope at a distance of 50 feet! Those things suck! I wish it was just my opinion, but it seems to be fact. Please at least tell me that those ORC lamphouses use horizontal and not vertical placement of the bulbs.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-12-2003 10:59 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually those lamphouses use 7K lamps. When properly aligned they can produce a good light. But they require a lot of maintanace to keep it that way

Bernie Anderson Jr
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2003 11:37 AM      Profile for Bernie Anderson Jr   Author's Homepage   Email Bernie Anderson Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It also has been confirmed that since opening day the music hall never could achieved16 foot lamberts. Remember that the Music Hall was never designed to run movies. Actually, it was at Roxy's decision that Radio City would only have elaborate vaudeville shows, (Don't know if you ever heard about the almost 6 hour opening night show that was all stage acts.) It was the RKO Roxy one block down on 49th street that was the movie venue. The irony of it all is that the theaters swapped their formats and the Music Hall for 50 years was the premiere palace of NY. So with that, the story goes and has been confirmed that even with carbon arcs, special prints were struck that weren't as dark just for the music hall to get more light on the screen. Actually, I also heard that they had multiple prints sent to them for back up. I've never understood those ORC's were installed.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 02-12-2003 02:16 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The vertical lamp design of the ORC, reflecting the visible light with a 45-degree dichroic mirror and having an efficient heat sink for the IR, WAS very good in reducing unwanted radiation heating of the film. [Smile] But as noted, keeping everything aligned is difficult, and the plasma in the vertical lamp tended to be unstable, causing visible "candlelight flicker". [Frown] The design was innovative, but somewhat problematic.

Wes Hughes
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2003 10:08 PM      Profile for Wes Hughes   Email Wes Hughes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As of last year, Manns Chinese was still running AA-II's with platters.

John Spooner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2003 09:45 AM      Profile for John Spooner   Email John Spooner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear colleagues, thank you to date for information posted regards these two venues.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: