Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » mic cable (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: mic cable
Bas Haldermans
Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2003 04:58 PM      Profile for Bas Haldermans   Author's Homepage   Email Bas Haldermans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to connect a mic to the cp650

What pins do i have to use of the connector to the cp 650.

Thanks bas

|  IP: Logged

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 02-12-2003 05:24 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The installation manual is available for free download from this very website!

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 02-12-2003 05:27 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The info is on P.24 of the CP-650 installation manual on the Film-Tech site. Looks like standard XLR connector wiring--pin 1 is shield, pin 2 is hot (signal +), and pin 3 is signal -.

Jean-Michel Grin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2003 04:10 PM      Profile for Jean-Michel Grin   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Michel Grin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget to adjust the mic level on the front side trimpot !

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 02-14-2003 04:47 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul,

Don't you mean 1 = shield, 2 = - signal and 3 = + signal? That's the way it is done in all of our studios. Isn't that the NAB standard?

Frank

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 02-14-2003 05:49 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is from a Crest Audio CA Series manual I had handy.

-

This is from the Dolby CP-650 installation manual.

-

Ray Derrick
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2003 08:19 AM      Profile for Ray Derrick   Email Ray Derrick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank

I think you will find that when Cannon 3 pin connectors (EP, XL etc) were first introduced (late 60's I think), the standard everyone opted for was pin 2 hot and pin 3 cold. Then at some point, some renegade US manufacturers decided to reverse pins 2 and 3 (Why? Just to be different I guess!) To this day, the majority of high end studio equipment manufacturers including top end mixing console manufactuers like Neve, Solid State Logic, Harrison and Soundcraft and ALL professional microphone manufacturers, still use pin 2 as hot. Having two conflicting common standards has been an absolute pain in the butt for every professional audio person around the world. Of course Dolby in their wisdom and to their credit, choose the only correct standard. If your studios use pin 3 as hot AND you use professional microphones like Neumann, AKG, Shure etc, then all your recordings are out of phase! Woops!

IMHO those idiots that chose to make pin 3 hot should be nailed up on wooden crosses all the way to Rome.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 02-14-2003 08:28 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Otari tape recorders are wired pin-3 hot. If I recall correctly, Nagras are as well. A phase-flip cable or adapter is the cheap/easy fix (as opposed to rewiring the connectors).

Ray Derrick
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2003 10:25 AM      Profile for Ray Derrick   Email Ray Derrick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott it's been many years since I held a Nagra in my hot little hand but I seem to vaguely recall they also had reverse sex for the connectors (inputs male, outputs female). Is that correct or am I thinking of something else?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 02-14-2003 10:40 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone that wires XLRs as anything but pin-2 "hot" should be shot. One nice thing about Neutrik's "combo" jacks is that pin-2 is hot if tip is hot!

Then again, QSC went through a period where Tip was "-".

JBL for most of it's history has been postive on red mean inward cone movement...the exact opposite of the rest of the world.

Why does there always have to be someone that just has to be different!

Steve

Paul Mayer

- posted 02-14-2003 12:00 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wondered how long it would take for someone to bring up the "XLR pin 2 hot vs. pin 3 hot" thing! [Big Grin] All I know is that all of the theater stages, sound companies, AV companies, and TV production trucks that I work on in 'Vegas and SoCal use the "pin 2 hot" convention. I have heard of "pin 3 hot" but have never had to work with any sound gear actually configured that way. I must've lead a sheltered life.

Bas Haldermans
Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2003 02:39 PM      Profile for Bas Haldermans   Author's Homepage   Email Bas Haldermans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes i understand the connection to a xlr connector. But how do i make the connection to the 9 pin connector (a female 'com' connector) to do b-chain.

Greetings bas

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 02-14-2003 04:28 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Make yourself a 9-pin D to XLR adapter cable...it isn't that hard.

Steve

Paul Mayer

- posted 02-14-2003 04:40 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From page B-5 of the CP-650 manual:

Front panel DB-9 connector pin assignments:

Pin 1 = + mic signal
Pin 2 = - mic signal
Pin 5 = Mic cable ground

NOTES: If using a cable made for use with the CP-500 add a jumper between pins 5 and 6.

Pins 1, 2 and 5 are paralleled with the XLR connector on the back panel. Don't have anything plugged into the XLR if you're using the DB-9 for EQing.

Ray Derrick
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2003 06:13 PM      Profile for Ray Derrick   Email Ray Derrick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Then of course, the importance of the absolute phase of a composite audio signal is somewhat academic, provided all channels in a multichannel system agree with each other etc.

There are some folk out there who claim to be able to hear the difference between an inverted audio signal and an uninverted one. But they fail to take into consideration the complexities of the audio chain, particularly in relation to the phase altering effects of filters and equalisers. For instance, most two-way speakers have the HF driver deliberately wired in reverse phase in order that the phase of HF and LF speakers agree with each other at the crossover frequency.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: