Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Testing Amplifiers

Author Topic: Testing Amplifiers
Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 02-13-2003 05:51 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe I got a bad batch of used amplifiers (QSC 1400). Or maybe there's something I am missing here...

I noticed yesterday that the amplifier for the subwoofer would not turn on. I tried using other AC outlets but that didn't help. The outlets were tested with another amplifier in the rack. All outlets are working. So that amp must have developed a problem. Anyway, that first amp is dead.

I replaced it with one of the used spares I recently received. It powered up, but I got no noise in the theatre. I double checked the DIP switches (1,2,7 & 8 are up) and I tried in both Bridge and Stereo modes. Nothing in the theatre.

I did a quick check of the speakers and cabling by playing some (low-volume) pink noise (from the CP-45) and temporarily plugging the SW speaker cables into the amp for the Center LF. I got sound in the theatre, so the cables and speakers don't seem to be the cause of the trouble.

So that amp had to come out. I replaced it with another used amp (both came out of a UA theatre) and lo! and behold...nothing.

Could it be that I tried to replace a dead amp with TWO dead amps in a row? I have other spares, but I'm wondering if there's something else I should check before hauling out a third (or fourth) amp.

For instance, I did a quick check of the processor output. With pink noise playing I get a small (mV) reading. I could observe the numbers increase/decrease as I adjust the volume control up and down. So I *think* I'm getting a signal at the output. I checked it at the processor end and I observed the same reading, so I believe there is nothing wrong with the hookup wires from the processor to the amplifier.

Any suggestions? Should I just bite the bullet and try another amp?

In the meantime, I'd appreciate a checklist for doing a quick-and-dirty testing of used amps before buying and after uncrating.

|  IP: Logged

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 02-13-2003 06:01 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does the green light come on? And, has the circuit breaker (the little black button one) next to the power switch been reset?

There is nothing else I can think of other than two bad amplifiers. Even if the speaker outputs were dead shorted, it would not prevent the amplifier from powering up.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 02-13-2003 06:04 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have a booth monitor between processor and amplifier?
edit- of course, you have checked the gain controls of the amplifier. I feel a bit stupid to mention it, but sometimes we overlook the most obvious things in the heat of battle.

Manny Knowles

- posted 02-13-2003 06:15 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for adding that, Michael. Yes, I checked the gains on both of these amps.

Paul I did not check the reset breaker on the first amp. I will test it out tomorrow.

Wouldn't that be a funny thing if I tried to replace an OK amp with two bad spares?

So how should a person test a used amp to make sure that it's OK before buying or installing?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-13-2003 06:37 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I usually place a amp on a dummy load on the bench (several ohmrite resitors 200watts each in a big bank) and drive it for several hours full out with both a sine wave and a pinknoise source
On the USA or 1400 I have had the bridge fail on some as well as the current limiting resistor

Manny Knowles

- posted 02-13-2003 07:41 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the bridge dies, will it still work in stereo mode?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-13-2003 07:54 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
bridge rectifier failure

Michael Rourke
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2003 12:51 PM      Profile for Michael Rourke   Email Michael Rourke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unless the crossover plugs right into the amp I don't think the DIP switches matter. Could it be a blown fuse? Maybe whoever sold you the amps pulled the fuses out for backups.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-14-2003 05:51 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you have the dip switchs mis programed it will not work as a basic stereo amp

Ray Derrick
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2003 07:21 PM      Profile for Ray Derrick   Email Ray Derrick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Manny, here are some quick and dirty tests you can do with just an audio signal generator and a CRO.

1. Connect a basic audio signal generator to the inputs (and nothing to the outputs), turn the amp on it on and look at the outputs with a CRO. With a 1kHz sine wave input you should see a clean waveform on each output. As you wind the level up and down you should not see any splikes or glitches on that sine wave. When the level reaches clipping, the waveform should square off nicely without any spikey or unstable artefacts. Try sweeping the frequency from 20Hz up to 20kHz and look for any glitches in the waveform.

2. Connect a speaker alternatively to each output and listen to the tone (at low volume). The tone should sound pure and clean with no audible harmonics, distortion or noise modulation. Once again, try sweeping it from 20Hz to 20kHz. The tone should always sound pure.

3. Disconnect the sig generator and turn the volume full up. Listen closely to the speaker for any excessive noise, crackles, pops or other garbage.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: