Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Super Simplex lower magazine question

Author Topic: Super Simplex lower magazine question
Mathew Molloy
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2003 12:42 PM      Profile for Mathew Molloy   Email Mathew Molloy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was just posed this question by a friend looking at Super Simplexes in the booth of an old theatre -

"...the upper magazines were normal but the lower ones were oversize with room for 3 or 4 small reels running at once. Do you know what this was for?"

Wish he sent me a picture but I don't have a clue based on the description.

|  IP: Logged

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 02-14-2003 12:44 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got a few sets of magazines originally from Super Simplexes, all are regular size (single reel).

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 02-14-2003 12:57 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like the lowers are for 6,000-foot reels.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 02-14-2003 01:02 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That makes sense. I was trying to imagine storage for two extra reels, BESIDE the one running. duh! [Smile]

edit: Hurray! I'm not going crazy.

Mathew Molloy
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2003 01:15 PM      Profile for Mathew Molloy   Email Mathew Molloy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My first thought was 70mm but he told me they were smaller than 'normal' (ie 2 k's) and wide enough to hold 3-4 of these smaller reels? So I don't think it's a 6k version. I'm going to try to get in and take a look at these myself and get a picture.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 02-14-2003 01:16 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What shape is the bottom box? If circular then it is probably a 4000, 5000 or 6000 foot box. If a strange shape it could be for three 1000 foot spools, take up for picture, and feed and take up for a separate track. I've seen a couple like this, a Westar at Bletchley Park, and a Kalee at, I Think, the Museum of London. Philips made a similar system in 16mm, but with three spools on top, and one at the bottom, sometimes known as a 'cloverleaf'. The National Film Theatre has these, but doesn't use the sound side of them now as it has Maga-tech followers for sep-mag.

Bob Koch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2003 01:30 PM      Profile for Bob Koch   Email Bob Koch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a "preview attachment" used many years ago when the sound film was on a separate reel. It was threaded only thru the reproducer from the lower magazine and back.This was only used in key locations for an actual preview before release.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 02-14-2003 01:58 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes known as a "studio" projector, used for running double system sound.

Dick Prather
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2003 11:49 PM      Profile for Dick Prather   Email Dick Prather   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mathew,
That is indeed a what we called a studio lower magazine. One spindle was used as the regular or picture take up and the other two were for a seperate soundtrack reel. One spindle acting as a feed and the other as take up. There were cut outs in the projector and soundhead to bypass whatever was not used when duel film was used. The soundhead usually had a magnetic pick up in it. I don't remember if the sound spindles could take any more than 1000 foot reels.

I have a Super Simplex and SH-1000 modified this way with the three spindled lower magazine.

Bernard Tonks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-15-2003 09:07 AM      Profile for Bernard Tonks   Email Bernard Tonks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
During my freelance days I also worked Preview Theatres, which were, all equipped with combined double head (cloverleaf) projectors. I showed many features in single 1000 foot or less reels, most separate track sound was magnetic, very occasionally optical. With mostly carbon arc lamps it could be hard work on your own. I used to enjoy doing media screenings at Bowater House in London’s snob Knightsbridge area, which was more like a luxury cinema with a balcony than a preview theatre. Also for the food and drink receptions afterwards. [Smile]

The Gaumont (now Odeon), Camden Town in London was one release cinema equipped with double head projectors. The 2nd feature would be replaced for one evening with a ‘studio sneak preview’ for audience reaction tests.

Dick, Separate sound was always limited to 1000 feet capacity. No doubt the later Philips follower soundheads could handle 2000 foot.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: