Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » To Bloop or Not To Bloop (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: To Bloop or Not To Bloop
Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-16-2003 05:31 PM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is the question.

I used to always bloop (black chinograph marker over the soundtrack) splices. But now I’m not so sure. Unless there is a large gap between both frames, it's probably not needed.

EDIT: Here's a question. Lets say I’m building a print and I take time to remove tape instead of cutting frames. I find that when splicing the 1--->2 reel join, there is quite a large gap in the splice. Should I:

a: Make the splice and bloop it (assuming I have analog sound)
or
b. Take a frame off the foot of R1 and Head of R2 using my splicer that is aligned to cut to give a small overlap (i.e something like Brad's splicer mod)

Plus. How would the two different types of splices compare visually? In terms of jumping through the gate and so forth.

|  IP: Logged

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 02-16-2003 06:23 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think this is a matter of taste, but it also depends on how forgiving your equipment is.

Splices with gaps always seem to jump in my projectors. Also, even with blooping, I seem to hear a bad splice go through.

I would cut the frames and resplice. I am partial to blooping; I don't see how it could hurt.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 02-16-2003 06:33 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bah! Bloop - Schmoop!

Just make use the splice is done right in the first place - with clear tape!

Any splice that can "hinge" should not be allowed to run through the projector. It might make it through, and then again, it might not! Hinging splices have been known to pop a pad roller and/or derail itself.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-16-2003 06:34 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I would look closely to see which frame is more "lacking" in end length, and recut that one frame. That way you can still achieve a good splice while keeping cuts to a minimum.

I've never liked blooping no matter how it is done. I can ALWAYS hear it go through.

Manny Knowles

- posted 02-16-2003 06:45 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh my!

So far, it's two against one!

C'mon guys and gals -- do YOU bloop?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-16-2003 06:46 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yup

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 02-16-2003 06:56 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope

With a good splicer & the cutting blade "augmentation" described on this board, you shouldn't have gaps to bloop.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 02-16-2003 07:04 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes I will use a sliver of black electrical tape (cut by and placed with the tip of an Xacto) as a bloop, sealed under the splicing tape. I usually don't bother to ramp it; I just figure the momentary black (blocking what track lines would have been there) is less disruptive that a big fissure of light.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-16-2003 07:11 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Manny, the answers are already contained here in the archives. Anyone making "butt" splices will be in favor of blooping because they have to. Anyone making "overlap" splicer wil be in favor of NOT blooping because they won't have to (and their splices will run through without any disruption).

Manny Knowles

- posted 02-16-2003 07:25 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I see...

...and I'll be sure to try that splicer modification!

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 02-16-2003 09:03 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey if it works for you go for it. Personally I don't even like to see two layers of splicing tape (on one side) let alone overlapped film. I also think any end should be like any other, not some short and some long, but maybe that's just me.

Michael Rourke
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-17-2003 02:05 AM      Profile for Michael Rourke   Email Michael Rourke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I find you don't need to bloop if you make all your cuts the same way..emulsion up. This ensures nice splices with a slight overlap that I like to run a thumbnail over. And wear at least one film handling glove to smooth the tape over the join, even clean hands have oils.

Gracia L. Babbidge
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-17-2003 03:00 AM      Profile for Gracia L. Babbidge   Author's Homepage   Email Gracia L. Babbidge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
<-does not bloop!

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 02-17-2003 03:44 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Splices that you make in your booth should not need to be blooped assuming the splicer is correctly aligned. As stated above, it is only when you get film that has been cut by misaligned splicers do you wind up with the troublesome gap.

As my fetish is that I will go to hell and back to avoid cutting off a frame, even to correct a frame that was cut "short," I use the Letraset black line tape to cover the frameline gap and cover the the soundtrack gap, and reenforce the splice so there is no hinge problem. The Letraset line tape is essentially what Steve is doing, only it is very thin, precut and has non-oozing adhesive, to say nothing of a lot less work. The line tape is then covered with splicing tape as usual.

I am surprised that an overlap splice will actually cause the film to jump the sprockets. In the old days of cement splices, the overlaps were wide -- the width of a perf -- and thick -- the double film thickness was much thicker than even four or five layers of tape. A well made cement splice hardly ever caused any run problems. I can't see how a double thickness of splicing tape, especially on estar base film should cause any problems.

Personally, I am not in favor of Brad's non-standard, slight overlap modification because someplace down the line, a cartoon or trailer or snipe that has been cut that way will wind up in a standard booth and either a short frame will have to be cut off or, at the very least, the gap it causes will have to be reenforced if the projectionist wants to save it. In the real world, most time the frame will be cut rather than someone taking the time to treat it so it will run properly.

Frank

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 02-17-2003 03:45 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found that with unilateral VA, single bilateral and RCA duplex tracks blooping did make a positive difference even with an overlap join, because however carefully a splice is made there will be a significant difference in the facing areas of modulation. But only rep theatres will ever come across these tracks now, and even then not very often.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: