Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » dts-6d missing one channel

Author Topic: dts-6d missing one channel
Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-17-2003 07:34 PM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anybody got an idea of this:

DTS 6D dead on Right surround - and that only

SR and and CD (aux) playing ok - nothing found on CP65, so now local tech wants to ship whole unit to England...

Per [Confused]

|  IP: Logged

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 02-17-2003 08:37 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I once had a dts-6D which did not play on one channel because the trimpot under the black front plate had come somewhat loose. It had probably been damaged when somebody adjusted it.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 02-17-2003 08:42 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have a DA-20? The audio cable has a different pin assignment, so if you use it to connect the dts to the CP65, the channels will come out in the wrong order. It is a way to quickly check if the CP`s input is really OK, as the surround channel will go into a different input on the CP65.
I am sure you did all the other stuff already, play the test CD and measure at the unit`s outputs, check the audio cable etc?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-17-2003 09:44 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Check the FAQ please.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 02-17-2003 09:58 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry.

Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-17-2003 11:35 PM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If this is a mobile unit, is it possible that one of the audio connector pins on the back or on the connecting cable got bent when it was installed?

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-18-2003 05:30 AM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I remember correctly there is one card in DTS6D that provide right surround AND another channel (s) (Center?), I do not remember right now. If that card is faulty perhaps you should have more channels dead. Check the DTS 6/6D troubleshooting, there I found the card/channels assignment.

Are you sure of your cables? To be sure, play the 300mV 1khz signal on all channels and check the output of the DTS at the back of the player (not the cable) with a meter. if LS is muted, try adjusting the trimpot and see if the sound come back and go away as you turn the trimpot. In that case the trimpot can be just dirt and you can try cleaning it with a contact cleaner spray from the front of the unit.

If LS is NOT muted at the back of the unit, make the same check at the end of the cables. If the sound is still present so your cp's 6ch input may be defective.

Bye
Antonio

Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-18-2003 08:05 AM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, everyone

The unit has been in the same spot for 6-7 years, but to be sure, we allready did check/chance cables without any result.
There is no other digital formats in this screen, so we'd better go for the trimpots - and the dust, which has earlier been a problem, i'm afraid - allthough those bad original drives were ruined at that occasion - no missing channels...
Meanwhile, running left ch into both left and right surrounds shows indeed, how good the digital sound is, when it works.
Right now it's "Die Another Day", which allready on a correct working installation can give trouble enough, keeping the dialogue hearable and at the same time the high tunes down, where people are not running out of the house PLUS that fu...ng Madonna tune - "Hey man - Your amps are clipping !"

But the show must go on !

p.

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-18-2003 05:28 PM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Per - before anyone sends a unit in for repair:

1) Be sure that the player is set for stereo surrounds and not mono surrounds. See the three switches on the transformer board, they should all be up.
2) Be sure the pot is turned up (CW) - it is a 20-turn pot and there is no 'click' to tell you where you are.
3) Use a setup disc and unplug the DTS from the CP. Monitor the output w/a meter. You should see 300mV RMS. Turn the pot up to see if the signal increases.
4) If you have signal, then check wiring and see if the signal goes away when connected to teh CP. If it does go away, there is short somewhere in the system and it needs to be found.

If the player is set for stereo surrounds, the pot is fully open, and you still have no output, then send the player in for repair.

Karen at DTS
khultgrenm@dtsonline.com

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-18-2003 09:45 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Karen,
I'm sorry, but I have to step in here and say that any competant technician worth his or her paycheck can repair the 6 or 6D right in any booth. You keep bringing up sending units into the factory for repair. Its nice to keep the factory techs busy but these guys are no where near the factory.....and these are two of the simplest audio related units to repair in the field. PCB's are alot easier to ship around than the entire unit is, plus there is not a risk of any shipping damage to the entire processor either. I don't know anyone that sends DA-20's, or Sonys in for repair......its all done in the field.
Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: