Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » SPECO LP-270

Author Topic: SPECO LP-270
Bryan Kennedy
Film Handler

- posted 02-20-2003 11:19 AM      Profile for Bryan Kennedy   Author's Homepage   Email Bryan Kennedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello everyone. At the theatre that I work in I have SPECO LP-270 platter systems at each projector. Due to neglect over the years, the majority of the platters need to be re-painted.

I was wondering if anyone here knew what I could use? I tested some car paint on one of the bottom platters and it wasn't quite as smooth as the original, but looked like it might be okay.

Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks. [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 02-20-2003 12:06 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You might try contacting Gene Higginbotham at Speco (913-321-3978) to find out what paint they use, and if you could purchase some. Not sure if it is a baked-on finish.

Is the old paint actually flaking or generating debris of some sort? If you simply are repainting for appearance sake, you may want to just clean the surface. Repainting incorrectly runs the risk of the paint not adhering well (generating dirt that could get on the print), or having frictional characteristics that could cause problems (e.g., too slippery).

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-20-2003 12:30 PM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just got back from the Drive-In Theatre Owners conference in Florida a couple of weeks ago, and one night we all visited the Silver Moon Drive-In in Lakeland, Florida. In the projection booth of the Silver Moon were two freshly painted Speco LP-270 platters. They looked great. I don't think they painted the column, but each of the platter decks were freshly painted.

You might try to contact them and see what type of paint they used. Ask for Mike... he is one of the managers there and would probably know the answer.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: