Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » "To Die For" - Dolby A? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: "To Die For" - Dolby A?
Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-20-2003 03:48 PM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am showing a print of Gus Van Sant's To Die For (1995) this weekend. The print just arrived, and all of the orginal leaders are attached to the reels. All of the leaders are clearly marked Stereo "A". An SDDS track is also on the print.

-Wouldn't this film have been mixed for Dolby SR?
-Were studios still releaseing both A and SR prints in 1995?

I am surprised to see a Dolby A print from 1995. Am I crazy? or is my timeline off? I thought SR was introduced in the mid 80s and became a standard by the early 90s.

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-20-2003 04:05 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many of the earlier SDDS movies had a Dolby "A" backup track.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 02-20-2003 04:33 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You don`t mix specifically for A or SR except when you really want to make use of SR`s greater dynamic range. Otherwise, you prepare the 4-channel master, have it encoded into Lt and Rt and then send those two channels through the A or SR encoder.
I believe a lot of movies were still encoded in A after the introduction of SR for the reason that Joe stated - because the analogue channel was seen as mere backup. Also, I think there were less or no license fees for A-type encoding at that time.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 02-20-2003 05:07 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I believe a lot of movies were still encoded in A after the introduction of SR for the reason that Joe stated - because the analogue channel was seen as mere backup. Also, I think there were less or no license fees for A-type encoding at that time.
This is interesting, but I'm lost on the above. Did you mean SR/D or SDDS? I didn't know you could put two analog schemes on one print! [Smile]

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 02-20-2003 05:23 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can`t (except for MAGOP prints, but that is a completely different story).
Joe meant that there was an A-type analogue optical and an SDDS track on the print.
For instance the analogue backup on the SDDS logo trailers is A-type encoded.
You could also put A-type analogue and Dolby Digital on the same print, but somewhere in the back of my head it says that Dolby doesn`t allow that.
dts prints also used to have A-type analogue as backup for a while.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-20-2003 10:22 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't MGM/UA use Dolby-A on their prints up until 1997 or 98? When I was trained in 1998, I was told to play all MGM/UA prints in Dolby-A unless it said otherwise. [Confused]

=TMP=

Michael Cunningham
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-20-2003 10:49 PM      Profile for Michael Cunningham   Email Michael Cunningham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All Dolby Digital (SR-D) prints carry SR analog as their back-up track. This is required by Dolby. What you're seeing from that time period is the fact that SR encoding cost a lot more than A encoding then. So if a studio chose not to use SR-D, they would take the lower cost A option as their analog back-up. Now, apparently, costs for SR have come down or the studios don't mind paying the higher rate and A has gone the way of the dinosaur.

- Mike

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 02-20-2003 10:58 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Generally if there is a Dolby Digital track, the analog track will be SR ( hence SRD tracks ) due to the Dolby license set up. On SDDS and DTS the producer / distributor can choose to have the A type analog track to save money or mastering time. Most sound elements in post production are generally encoded ( or recommended to be ) in SR.
Richard Fowler
Kinoton America Inc.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-21-2003 12:40 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Almsot all printmasters are SR but have to be unencoded before the camera encoder that can be what one wishes a or sr unless a srd track is being recorded as well when the the license requires a sr analogue track

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-21-2003 03:09 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I specifically remember now that "To Die For" was SDDS only with "A" analog. I do not know if there were any prints out there that did not have SDDS but an SR analog track.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 02-21-2003 10:06 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Which distributor was that movie?

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2003 02:53 PM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Columbia Pictures

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2003 03:42 PM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Off topic question:

I have a Dolby A System and regularly show Dolby SR films with it. (films like Triple X, Mr Deeds, new films etc..)

It I get in an old movie that has a Dolby A track. Will it sound better that the Dolby SR films?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-21-2003 05:47 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the decoding will be superior. However "will it sound better?" That all depends on the quality of the mix. However to answer the question I think you are asking, if you had two prints of the identical movie and one was SR and the other A, playing both back in A...the A print would sound much better.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 02-21-2003 09:04 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That explains a lot here. Columbia is owned by Sony. A lot of UIP films had just dts (I think there is a connection somehow because of Steven Spielberg) and no other digital soundtrack. In the first years after the introduction of digital sound, all manufactures thought that their system would be the only successful and therefore no other digital track was required and that the analogue soundtracks were there just for the extremely unlikely case that the practically perfect digital system ever failed.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: