Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Crown ODEP feature

Author Topic: Crown ODEP feature
Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-20-2003 04:25 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi

Can someone confirm me that the ODEP feature of a Crown amp will LIMITS the output without clipping if excessive power is required?

Bye
Antonio

|  IP: Logged

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 02-20-2003 04:47 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.crownaudio.com/amp_htm/ampfaqnew.htm

What does ODEP stand for?

ODEP stands for Output Device Emulator Protection. ODEP is an analog computer simulation of the output device thermal impedance. In layman's terms ODEP stores how much power the amplifier delivers to its load and its heatsink temperature. If the protection circuit determines that the output stage is being overstressed or cannot dissipate any further heat, then output stage drive is limited (Also see the FAQ, "What is TLC?" below).

What is TLC?

TLC, Thermal Limit Control is used in K-Series amps to provide the amp thermal protection, when a predetermined temperature threshold is reached, the TLC light(s) will begin to glow. This means the temperature sensing circuitry is starting to engage the input compressor. By compressing the input, the amplifier will not generate as much heat and will have a chance to cool down. The degree of compression is directly proportional to the amount of overheating experienced by the amplifier.

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-20-2003 04:53 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Michael

I've read the manual, I just would like to have a confirm that this happens!!

Bye
Antonio

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 02-20-2003 05:39 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, they have a patent on ODEP. Unless they managed to fool the patent office, I would think that ODEP really happens.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: