Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Ushio VS Osram

Author Topic: Ushio VS Osram
Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2003 03:17 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WEll well,
I don't know about u guys but I prefer 1000% USHIO rather than Osram. I don't have any particular reason but I just HATE those OSRAM lamps even though my theater is currently purchasing Osrams by the dozen rather than Ushio.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-21-2003 03:20 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Were you trying to reply to an older thread and pressed the "new topic" by mistake? Also, how can you have an opinion on a product if you don't have any reasonings behind it?

That being said I do firmly agree the Ushio/Christie lamps are worlds better than all other lamps out there. There are many old threads on this topic. This seems to be the general consensus of most members here.

Dennis J. Losco
Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2003 09:51 AM      Profile for Dennis J. Losco   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis J. Losco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,
You said, "That being said I do firmly agree the Ushio/Christie lamps are worlds better than all other lamps out there."

Usually as a manufacturer I don't post many messages, but what experience do you have with our Superior brand? If so, what complaints do you have of the lamps?
Please note I am note trying to use this post as a sale, but just for information to continually get customers opinions.
Thanks, Denny

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-21-2003 10:34 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Never used your particular brand. You're right I should have said "...that I have used." The consensus of the forum in the past has always chose Ushio/Christie lamps due to quality of light, ease of striking, lowest number of bulb failures and quantity of useful hours all vs. price. Feel free to send in a demo bulb and we'll run it in and report what we find. If yours can match or outperform the Ushio/Christie, that would be amazing.

Dennis J. Losco
Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2003 10:54 AM      Profile for Dennis J. Losco   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis J. Losco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,
As long as you give a fair test I will be happy to give you a trial bulb. Run it for life and give me the results.
Give me a call and give me the needed information such as bulb type and shipping information and I will have the lamp shipped down to you.
908-454-1700
Thanks, Denny

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-21-2003 11:02 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
You can decide where it goes. I've got a brand new SLC-30 going in immediately after ShoWest. You can have that "virgin" lamphouse, or you can have a "seasoned" SLC-30, 40 or 60. We have ran Christie, OSRAM, Perkin Elmer in this set of lamphouses and have lifespan records for all of the kinds.

All tests are done fairly. We just don't get into overly detailed "bench testing" with things. If your product performs, it will get a glowing review. If it fails, it will get a poor review. If there are problems with the sample product, we will contact you to see about swapping it out for another before the review is posted, as with every manufactured item there is always the potential for a "lemon". Your product is a bit different than some of the equipment we review, for top notch or severely lacking manufacturer support won't really weigh in much to the final rating since it either performs well or it doesn't.

I have heard very good things about your bulbs from other techs whom I trust. How does SQ compare in price?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-21-2003 12:04 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Always had great luck with SQP lamps and they offer great service

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 02-21-2003 12:44 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osram lamps seem to be by far the most common here, and they're the only ones I have used, apart from a 300W Ushio UXL300D in a 16mm portable years ago, So I don't have anything to compare them with. I've used 1000, 1600 and 2.5k sizes, and all seemed ok. What does strike me is that modern xenon lamps are much better than the early ones in just about every way. Xenons still make me nervous though, I'd much rather be using carbons.

Dennis J. Losco
Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2003 02:23 PM      Profile for Dennis J. Losco   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis J. Losco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Brad,
I happy that you are willing to test one.Internally we are very happy with the performance of our lamps, so don't feel I am using you as a test ground. I just like placing our lamps into the critics hands and get their feedback. Once you get the lamp just put it into your first open projector.
Denny

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: