Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Xenon Bulb Question (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Xenon Bulb Question
Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 02-26-2003 02:24 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Someone I know recently had a bulb explode on them well under warranty. The inner components of the bulb (I forget which is which off the top of my head) were discolored. The little pointy one was black, and the big round one was like a pea soup greenish color. Any insites into what could have caused the discoloration? It's an Osram XBO HOFR bulb.

Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 02-26-2003 02:31 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it is a combination of things. A leak in the seal prior to explosion could have caused it. A power supply running to high could have caused it and the explosion. The bulb it's self could of had an internal defect that caused the anode and cathode to blacken do to the increase in current running across the bulb. There may be other possabilities.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 02-26-2003 04:22 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those electrodes, when heated, will discolor when exposed to air. It's possible that they turned color when the lamp exploded and the air rushed in and surrounded the red hot metal.

What would indicate a problem with the lamp's operation more than the color of the metal would be the overall condition of the metal. Does it look like some of the metal has been vaporized away? Are there pits or rough spots or even deformation of the metal?

Here! Check out THIS electrode!

-

This electrode is from a xenon that was in the projector for over 6500 hours. They were wondering why the picture was dim on that projector!
[Roll Eyes]

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 02-26-2003 07:40 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Randy's right. The discoloration/coloration occurs when xenon leaks out and oxygen leaks in. Then, it burns like a big candle... consuming oxygen and creating a flame (where previously it was plasma). If the pieces of the envelope are a deep, dark-blue color, it was probably a seal leak that caused the failure.

RANDY! You're holding that in yer bare hand??!!? Don't you know those things are radioactive?!
[Big Grin]

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2003 07:42 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It will be ok as long as he doesn't use that hand to scratch his B(*&^. [Big Grin]

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 02-26-2003 11:00 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OH SHIT!! I carried that thing around in my pocket for a couple of days afterward! [Eek!]

How did the lamp explode?
I have seen several of them fail catastrophically but I have only ever seen one actually explode... KA-fucking-BOOM!!!
If you've ever heard a 12-guage shotgun go off right next to your head, that's what it sounds like. Glass and metal schrapnel go all over the inside of the lamphouse. It's a pain in the ass to clean up!

If that happened to you, then you witnessed a rare event, AFAIC. More often, they just go out with a fizzle and maybe a fizzle-pop. Spectacular in their own right, but nothing like a full-on explosion.

One good reason for an explosion would be fingerprints on the glass. This is a big No-No. You're just beggin' for it if you don't clean your lamps with 90% (or better) alcohol before you light 'em up. ESPECIALLY if you may have touched it with your bare hands. The oil and dirt from your hands literally boil on the surface of the glass and cause a weak spot which will eventually melt through. Yup! You guessed it... KA-fucking-BOOM!!!

Another reason would be inadequate cooling. If the metal ends of the lamp, where it clamps into the lamphouse have a bluish color to them you have a good indication of poor cooling.

If the electrodes are melted similar to the picture above then the lamp has seen some abuse... extreme hours, over current or even reverse installation. That's probably not your cause because installing a bulb backwards will kill a bulb, literally, in moments.

So, what does the aftermath look like? Got any pictures?

Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2003 11:39 PM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently had a couple of Osram's sent back for warranty due to seal failure. First time in quite a while.

Mike Rendall
Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2003 02:49 AM      Profile for Mike Rendall   Email Mike Rendall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The electrodes are radioactive? I have never heard of this. Why are they radioactive, I thought the metal was some form of thoriated tungsten, why would this be radioactive? Surely if it is radioactive wouldn't they put some form of warning about it on the box

John Anastasio
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2003 04:55 AM      Profile for John Anastasio   Author's Homepage   Email John Anastasio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thorium is a radioactive element. In fact, there's more radioactive energy on this planet wrapped up in Thorium (named for the Norse god Thor) than in Uranium. Thorium 232 is used in the medical field and is packed with power, but not the type used in short arc lamps. It's been used for decades in the cathodes of vacuum tubes. Conveniently, it has a melting point almost as high as tungsten, so it can take the heat inside a Xenon bulb. It not only helps the electrodes to be more conductive, but when it's heated it gives off a bright white light. There's no more radiation being given off from the Thorium in your bulb, though, than from an old TV set.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 02-27-2003 08:35 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Radioactive thorium was also used in gas lantern mantles:

http://www.arpansa.gov.au/is_lantern.htm

http://minerals.usgs.gov/minerals/pubs/commodity/thorium/690499.pdf

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 02-27-2003 09:01 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to an early 70s General Electric specialty bulb catalog these are not explosions but "non-passive failures".

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-27-2003 09:29 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is often reffered to as catastrophic failure

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 02-27-2003 09:30 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Which often produces "collateral damage".

Always follow xenon lamp safety procedures. Or that exploding lamp may be the last thing you ever see! [Eek!]

Bill Langfield
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2003 09:59 AM      Profile for Bill Langfield   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Langfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Clean ya damned finger nails too. [Smile]
The teeth are fine, bet your dentist loves you. (Or hates you!)

Radio activity and EXPLOSIONS! So thats why they made us buy a full on welders outfit.

BILL!

Mike Rendall
Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2003 10:45 AM      Profile for Mike Rendall   Email Mike Rendall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the quantities of thoria used in the electrodes was so small that radioactivity was not an issue. I use a thoriated tungsten filament in my X-Ray gun and have had to change them routinely and never knew of any radiation problems. Normally thoria is added to tungsten to improve its mechanical and electrical properties, i.e to give off prevent creep over time and to increase the electron emission (useful for spectroscopists). The normal ratio is 2% thoria. I am suprised if anything that no warnings are given to users about radioactivity, especially as we live in a sue-all world at the moment (i.e. if you can be blamed you will).

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: