Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Using Flash Camera in Booth (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Using Flash Camera in Booth
David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 03-02-2003 04:29 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This may be a really dumb question, but is there any reason to be cautious about taking flash pictures in an operating booth? Like, are there any photo detectors that might be sensitive to a bright flash of light in the general area? I'm looking for technical issues, not common-sense stuff like the flash possibly disturbing an audience or something like that.

|  IP: Logged

Ray Bernardi
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2003 04:43 PM      Profile for Ray Bernardi   Email Ray Bernardi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've taken flash shots in my booth with the projector running. No audience when I did it. No issues with the camera, it didn't care. I have no light sensitive interlocks at all. They are all mechanical. The sound head didn't seem to care either. I'm using an old analog system with a white light, I took shots directly at that area and didn't notice a pop or anything in the speakers.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 03-02-2003 08:29 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not a technical issue but a few years back while attending Sho-nuff (ok, Showest) a staff girl at Caesars had a cow when I tried to photograph the Omnimax booth from outside the glass. She gave me some BS about sensors. I said I wouldn't be using a flash. She still went off in totally bovine fashion. Like there's anything secret there that you could reverse engineer from a photo taken outside the glass.

Joe Morris
Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2003 08:34 PM      Profile for Joe Morris   Email Joe Morris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
white exciters don't have a problem with excess light, but if you have the ultrajax red LED exciters...any excess light, no matter how quick will cause a pop in your sound

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-02-2003 09:02 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just don't do flash photos of your service tech wiring up a sound rack when he's not looking....I had to pull one of my employees down off the exhaust blower when I tried that one once.
Mark

Justin West
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2003 09:25 PM      Profile for Justin West   Email Justin West   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe must be right, because when I was recently touring a booth with some other UDITOA members, the repeated flash photos were causing pops in the sound and Jim Goble gave us the "heads up" as to why. [Confused]

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 03-02-2003 09:31 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
white or red it does not matter you get extranious light on the solar cell it will make noise. I have seen and heard it happen.

Joe Morris
Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2003 09:40 PM      Profile for Joe Morris   Email Joe Morris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I must correct my previous statement...they are Ultra Stereo Jaxlights...those are the red exciters. Had 'em put in before my theatre got bought out. we used to have the white ones in my lovely Monee's....and we never had a problem with sound....but excess light will cause buzzing and pops...the buzz is my favorite [Smile]

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 03-02-2003 10:03 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, a number of autofocus mechanisms emit IR, FYI.

Also, some platters using photocells might be affected, albiet briefly...

--jhawk

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 03-03-2003 12:30 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Autofocus? What's that? [Confused]

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-03-2003 01:11 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you have a tripod and some decent ambient light available, you'll get better quality booth photos by not using a flash. Flash photography has a bad tendency of flattening out shadow detail.

The best thing is to get a couple portable lights and rig them up to light your hardware and get a photo with good exposure. You don't necessarily have to spend a lot of money on real studio lights. It is possible to rig up a good set of lights just from materials you find at the hardware store. But even with good lights, you'll probably still need the tripod if you want to set a good, sharp F-stop.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 03-03-2003 09:24 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Open the sound head door on a projector that still has a solar cell. Stand about two or three feet back. Hold a Bic lighter at waist level and flick it two or three times in quick succession. The flashes of light will cause a "Thump! Thump!" sound in the auditorium if the projector is running and the sound system is activated.

This was one of the demonstrations I used to give to kids who worked in the booth as to why they had to keep the overhead lights off when the movie was runnning.

I can just imagine what a camera flash would do to the sound in the auditorium! It must sound like a gunshot!

That having been said, I can imagine no reason why you can't take flash pictures in a projection booth as long as you keep the sound head doors closed and the sound system turned off. (Or at least in Non-Symc mode.)

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 03-03-2003 09:48 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
from Justin...
Joe must be right, because when I was recently touring a booth with some other UDITOA members, the repeated flash photos were causing pops in the sound and Jim Goble gave us the "heads up" as to why.

That booth also uses the Jaxlights they've been talking about here.

Someone correct the practical theory here, if I don't get it quite right... You're using all the stuff from your old "forward scan" system... except you're installing an LED that doesn't provide anywhere near the gain you had with the
old exciter lamp. The surface-mounted solar cell is still there, with no physical shielding (as compared to a reverse scan system)... and you're kicking up the gain an obscene amount, thereby making the whole thing much more sensitive to hum inducing issues.... and camera flashes!

Oh... put a fluorescent trouble light around the front of one of these soundheads & see what happens! [Big Grin]

Jim Spohn
Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2003 10:28 AM      Profile for Jim Spohn   Email Jim Spohn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just take the pictures!!

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2003 10:31 AM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I took that same booth tour that both Justin & Jack took several weeks ago down in Florida. Everytime the flash went off, there was a definite "pop" in the sound. I didn't realize what it was until Jim pointed it out to me.

Speaking of those photos.... Jack, did any of those photos Cheryl took of that infamous "booth wiring" turn out?? That was a classic hand written sign above the sound rack!!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: