Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Ghosts of the Abyss in 35mm 3D? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Ghosts of the Abyss in 35mm 3D?
Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 03-03-2003 12:48 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I keep seeing references to the new James Cameron Titanic flick, Ghosts Of The Abyss, coming to IMAX 3D and "specially outfitted 35mm theaters". Has anyone heard anything about what "specially outfitted" means - whether it will be the polarized over/under or side by side 3D? Or maybe dual strip?

EDIT: Actually, I see it on the official site too. (Sorry I didn't see it there before.) The site is here. Click on "About the film" and then "Synopsis".

|  IP: Logged

Bill Langfield
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2003 01:08 PM      Profile for Bill Langfield   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Langfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,

As James Cameron is my favourite film maker, your post interests me. (Namely Abyss and T2 in that order)
However, I've been up ALL NIGHT AGAIN.

We have the top/bottom polirized lens. The last 3D we ran was some cartoon feature. Love to try it again.

Could you look into it more, rather than posting links. I kind of hate that.
(Hunting down the exact place referenced can be hard to find)

EDIT : Mark, yeah that site is cool, sorry.

Bill.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 03-03-2003 01:58 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That would have been Starchaser: The Legend of Orin.

One thing you will also need is the hi-reflective silver screen.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 03-03-2003 02:00 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Could you look into it more, rather than posting links. I kind of hate that.
I'm sorry, I'm not sure what you mean. The link I posted is where I found "coming to IMAX 3D and specially outfitted 35mm theaters". I posted that link in case anyone was unsure what I was talking about. I was finding that phrase on various film (coming soon type) web sites, and then I later found that phrase on the GOTA web site, which is what I posted. Maybe I didn't phrase it correctly the first time. Sorry about that.

I'm just looking to see if anyone here has any more info on what the "specially outfitted" means in this case. My guess is that most likely it means 1) a silver screen, and 2) either a 2nd projector with interlocked motors, or an over/under or side by side lens configuration. But that's just my guess.

Thanks!

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-03-2003 02:09 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The film's trailer is also up at

http://www.apple.com/trailers/

-Claude

Bill Langfield
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2003 02:28 PM      Profile for Bill Langfield   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Langfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Daryl,

It may well have been StarChaser (a Cartoon), But by memory the only reason we had the the lens in the first place was for JAWS 3. Agreed that a 'silver' screen is required (which we had) but a HIGH-GAIN screen can work too I'm sure, erm think.

Mark,

Im, sorry, all I think they need for 3D is 'silver' or High-gain screens, then the top/bottom polirized lens (and Patrons to wear those cool paper glasses (we have thousands SOMEWHERE!)

All I know in the 3D that I know of does NOT involve RED/GREEN
or RED/BLUE it uses POLIRIZED(SP) lens and glasses.

The 35mm frame is split in HALF making it a kind of 'super 16mm' scope picture' (Never screw up the spice, everyone will just get a headache, NOT 3D!!!)

Bill!

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 03-03-2003 02:42 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, the text I have is "specially outfitted 35mm 3D theatres" not "specially outfitted 35mm theatres." That's from the TES website. The following went up on February 21st:

quote:

Ghosts of the Abyss details Release Date: Apr 11, 2003
Rating: G
Runtime:
Academy award winning director and master storyteller James Cameron journeys back to the site of his greatest inspiration - the legendary wreck of the Titanic. With a team of the world's foremost historic and marine experts and friend Bill Paxton, he embarks on an unscripted adventure back to the final grave where nearly 1,500 souls lost their lives almost a century ago. Using state-of-the-art technology developed expressly for this expedition, Cameron and his crew are able to explore virtually all of the wreckage, inside and out, as never before. With the most advanced 3D photography, moviegoers will experience the ship as if they are part of the crew, right inside the dive subs. In this unprecedented motion picture event, made especially for IMAX 3D Theatres and specially outfitted 35mm 3D theatres across the country, Cameron and his team bring audiences to sights not seen since the sinking 90 years ago and explore why the landmark vessel-more than any shipwreck-continues to intrigue and fascinate the public.

(err, also adslicks, EDB one sheets, flat and scope trailers are all "backordered").

--jhawk

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 03-03-2003 02:47 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"specially outfitted 35mm 3D theatres" not "specially outfitted 35mm theatres"
Of course, you're right. My bad.
quote:
but a HIGH-GAIN screen can work too I'm sure, erm think
I think a silver screen is required to preserve the polarity of the light, whereas a white screen would make the light "scatter", in a sense, and lose its polarity.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 03-03-2003 03:05 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The specially outfitted 35mm cinemas will be dual machine.
Richard Fowler
Kinoton America Inc.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-03-2003 03:22 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am sure exhibitors will have to foot the bill for the hardware.
Just how many would you think will bother to go to all that trouple to set up a dual projection 3-D system and a silver screen for a short documentary less than an hour long with no other future products to show in that format? I doubt there will be very many since all of the major cities already have an IMAX 3-D theatre that can show the film wihout any modification.

-Claude

[ 03-03-2003, 04:23 PM: Message edited by: Claude S. Ayakawa ]

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 03-03-2003 03:56 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember when Friday The 13th came out and they had special prints for the drive-ins to show. They took one of the eye images and squeezed it. You had to use a scope lens to project the image.

In 3D that uses polarity you must use the silver screen in order to direct the light back to you. Like a laser bouncing off a mirrorthe angle of the projector will determin the direction of light. Severe keystoning is bad for 3D.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-03-2003 04:35 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The dual 3-D projection system used in the fifties were wonderful and the effects was just as good as the IMAX films. The single projection system used in recent years with flims such as "JAWS 3-D", "FRIDAY THE 13th-3D" were not very good in my opinion. First of all, because the system used a single projector and lamphouse and one had to wear polarized glasses that cut light transmission, the picture was very dark not to metion the very shallow 3D effects. I did not know single projector 3-D was ever shown at drive in theatres. Without installing a new screen with a silver surface, hgow did they manage? Even with regular films, watching movies at drive in theatres with my tinted window was a pain because of the image appearing very dark. 3-D for me at a drive in would be worse.

-Claude

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 03-03-2003 05:38 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
FWIW, Spy Kids 3 is being filmed in 3D with the same camera as GOTA.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 03-03-2003 06:27 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
it wasn't 3D at the drive-in. They just took one of the eye negatives and squeezed it to scope and you projected it like any other film.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 03-04-2003 08:21 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Spy Kids 3 is being filmed in 3D with the same camera as GOTA.
As cheesey as Spy Kids movies can be, THAT should be pretty cool to see.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: