Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » CFS "Super" Platter question

Author Topic: CFS "Super" Platter question
Fred Georges
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2003 02:33 PM      Profile for Fred Georges   Email Fred Georges   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've inherited a "charity" case theatre that has re-opened using this beast. I put it back together from a Frankenstein box-o-parts and got it running..Sort of. I "timed" it according to the instructions (which seem sensless to me)and it pays out & takes up well on all 3 decks. My questions are.. On takeup the accumulator raises to the top of its travel causing the take up platter to stop dead. The arm lowers which adjusts the variac and gets it all spinning again. Is this normal?? Should the take up platter start & stop in such a staccato fashion? Also, when the payout platter starts to spin it takes off like a raped Ape. It doesn't wrap nor throw prints (yet) but it scares the BeeJeez out of this old reel to reel man. Do I need to try and slow the whole mess down or, is this the way these things work? Trashing it, unfortunatly, is NOT an option at this time. Thanks for your help in advance. [Big Grin]

|  IP: Logged

Jonathan Worthing
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2003 03:09 PM      Profile for Jonathan Worthing   Email Jonathan Worthing   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Put the platter in the set up hole on the accumulator. Get all the plates running at the same speed through the normal set-up.

It does not matter if they are too fast or too slow.

when you have them running at the same speed & the motors are not
running out of line (making Strange Vibrating noises).

Now go to the variac & Undo the grub screws on the end of the adjustment arm. With a screwdriver while holding the adjustment arm in the lock off position, You can see a slit in the end of the shaft turn this until you have the centre platter rotates at about 3- 5 Seconds.

You can adjust this the same to macth it better to your projector.

Don't Do what I did once & forget to do up the grub screws.

Peter Schoell
Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2003 08:11 PM      Profile for Peter Schoell   Email Peter Schoell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to have a couple of CFS's and once or twice a year I would have to reset the variac arm.
The arm has a nylon hub on the end with 1 or 2 set screws that lock it to the variac. If the variac is not operating in the correct range all your speeds will be off.
The manual will explain this too. With the proper tension on the center motor, and an empty platter. Set the yo-yo set up pin in the hole loosen the set screws in the nylon hub, turn the variac shaft until the platter runs between 25 & 30 RPM. I usally shoot for 7 RPM in 15 seconds. tighten the set screws and adjust the other platters to match the center.
A properly aligened motor should sit with the belts flat to the platter and as little tension as possible to make good contact with the platter.
One of the problems with these platters is when the variac gets out of adjustment and the platters turn too fast, people will correct it by compressing the rubber gromets between the mounting bar and the motor, this will correct the problem, but puts too much load on the bearings. This is the method for setting the platter speed, but you need to start with a correct variac setting.
The platter should slow to a stop when the yo-yo is at the top, then get faster as as the yo-yo drops, and stop when the yo-yo hits the bottom. On starting the yo-yo will move up and down for a shot while, thenlevel off and only graduly move until the end of the movie.
i always found the CFS to be an OK platter, but I think they do need attention, and the make-up tables are crap.
I had most of my problems with the brains on those CFS platters.

Rick Long Jr
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-08-2003 09:44 AM      Profile for Rick Long Jr   Email Rick Long Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the take-up is going up and down during a show, it could be that the variac wiper brush has worn out. I believe these platters use the same (or similar) Staco 10-10 series variable transformer that Strong and ORC use. This is a common problem. It is most likely the inner copper brush that connects the coil to the center of the rotating wiper.

Joe Morris
Film Handler

- posted 03-08-2003 12:06 PM      Profile for Joe Morris   Email Joe Morris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's the thing. I've been running CFS Super platters for about 5 years and they've been in my theatre for 14 years. Once you turn on the take and feed switches accordingly, and start your movie, the variac roller arm is supposed to stay about 8 inches from the top of the assembly. I agree with the platter brushes except for one thing. when the platter motor brushes go out, you would have a brain wrap the size of Alaska or your film would stop completely. Do both motors spin accordingly, or do they spin really fast, stop, then spin really fast again?

Rick Long Jr
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-08-2003 04:01 PM      Profile for Rick Long Jr   Email Rick Long Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am referring to the brushes in the variac itself. Not the motors.

Joe Morris
Film Handler

- posted 03-08-2003 04:06 PM      Profile for Joe Morris   Email Joe Morris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the brushes in the variac are bad, you won't be able to feed out at all or you will have wayyy too much feeding going on and your platters won't stop. (i've had that problem with 'em too)

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 03-08-2003 06:32 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rick's right, a worn brush in the variac can cause 'bare spots' where there will be no power passed. This will cause the elevator to fall and then take off like a rocket to catch back up. Then it will go back up, possibly past the worn out point and run fine until it drops back down into the worn area. So you will be able to feed and stop, it just won't be at a constant speed. (i've had that problem with 'em too) [Smile]

Joe Morris
Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2003 11:02 AM      Profile for Joe Morris   Email Joe Morris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
want spare parts??? I have 4 full platters with brains motors variacs etc....if you want em

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 03-09-2003 02:13 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, I am interested in the brains and motors (I still have 15 CFS Blue Supers that I have to keep running...)

Email me if you want to part with them and for how much...

-Aaron

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 03-09-2003 08:58 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rick and Daryl are right on target. Change or repair the variac, and it'll run just fine. Most variac based machines will display damned near the exact symptoms.

And yes....when they are started, they are quite wild, especially if you have a projector that ramps up very fast.

Fred Georges
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-10-2003 10:25 PM      Profile for Fred Georges   Email Fred Georges   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all of the sage advice. I didn't notice any flat spots on the variac when I put it through its paces but, armed with this info I'm returning to the scene of the crime with my voltmeter, hammer, & bottle of Jack. I'll figure it out. Thanks again. [Big Grin]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: