Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » 35mm viewer/editor problem

Author Topic: 35mm viewer/editor problem
Derek Maxwell
Film Handler

- posted 03-10-2003 05:44 PM      Profile for Derek Maxwell   Author's Homepage   Email Derek Maxwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have an old RTI/Lipsner Smith Viewer editor with sound and am having trouble with it. I have contacted RTI and got some help last year to fix a few things but am still not able to get an answer about the reel motors. Since this seems to have been made in England in the 70's, there isn't any hope in getting more info from RTI than I have. I got a manual from them but there is no chasis wiring diagram or relay block wiring diagram and I think this is where my problem lies. The biggest problem....the feed motor pulls the same as the take-up no matter if you are in forward or reverse mode and when you get halfway though the reel, it stopps because of the 2 motors pulling equal. Does anyone have any idea what to do other than disconnect one motor to run in one direction which I have done?
 - [Frown]

|  IP: Logged

Stan Gunn
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2003 12:39 AM      Profile for Stan Gunn   Author's Homepage   Email Stan Gunn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There should be a method of adjusting the tension of both forward and reverse moters, sometimes with resisters or electronic method, usually connected with the forward/reverse control.

hope this helps.
Stan [Smile]

Derek Maxwell
Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2003 03:31 AM      Profile for Derek Maxwell   Author's Homepage   Email Derek Maxwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You would think so but there seems to be nothing I can find. The take-up does have a pot on the tention arm for tention but does nothing on the supply motor. It just stays full force all the time.

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 03-13-2003 08:26 AM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There may be a possibility that one of the relays for the supply plate are sticking. Relays do stick on occasion. I would check that, then explore the guts of the beast and see what else you can find.

Josh

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-13-2003 09:04 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There should be a driver amplifier that the output of the pot controls. This provides the power to the servo motors.
Probably one of the drivers have gone south.This used to happen to alot of the older MTM dubbers

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: