Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Dichroic Filter or Cold Reflector? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Dichroic Filter or Cold Reflector?
Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-12-2003 06:57 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm setting up to run some 3D and the instructions I have say...."Be certain that your lamphouse has "cold" reflectors or dichroic filters installed"....
I have a Super Lume-X lamphouse. Do they have "Cold Reflectors"???
The reflector is new. There are no filters

|  IP: Logged

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 03-12-2003 07:02 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is if it came from Strong. If it's an Ultra Flat re-do, it isn't.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 03-12-2003 07:18 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I concur with Jack.

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-12-2003 07:53 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How do you tell?
Pics of the lamphouse in question at
http://www.muellersatomics.com/alignotron.htm

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-12-2003 07:58 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cool reading Greg. I don't have an answer but I have a question. Where does one find an Align-O-Tron?

I performed a search and found my answer. I forgot that Greg invented the device.

[ 03-12-2003, 10:15 PM: Message edited by: Sam Hunter ]

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 03-12-2003 08:00 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As seen from your photos you have a "cold reflector" due to the gold color of the reflective surface....as long as you do not have gold flecking near the arc ball position of the reflector, it should work well.....a dichoric heat filter in the douser area, angled properly, would give you more insurance.
Richard Fowler
Kinoton America Inc.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 03-12-2003 08:08 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes you should be able to use that type of reflector with no problems. We used that type years ago for 3D. Now the dichroic filters may be the glass reflector type where the ulta violet light passes thru the reflector to prevent loss of light output. It could be a filter placed in front of the light that magnifies the light output I have seen these but was never sure what they were called.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 03-12-2003 08:33 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Greg: Yes, that is a "cold" reflector. Are you using a single or dual projector setup for 3D? If duals, make sure that the reflector color temperatures are the same. If not, it would look OK after awhile, but would be a total PITA when the show is over and you try to look at things without the glasses! It's always best to match them as if it was a "change-over" theatre.

>>> Phil

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-12-2003 09:42 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a single projector. Side by Side anamorphic. I've got the original lens for projecting and a Silver Screen on the way from the great white north (MDI)

Sam send me a note off line

Fred Georges
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-12-2003 09:51 PM      Profile for Fred Georges   Email Fred Georges   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Greg, You've got a cold mirror but, at 1K it wouldn't make any difference. Those StereoVision instructions really only start mattering at 2K & above and it's to protect the polarizers from burn up from the UV. The Marks Polarator & StereoVision Mirror box "fit" the AAII quite well for over/under. If you're doing side by side "House of Wax" etc. You can rig a much superior lens set up then the Stereovision all in one with those old B&L cokebottle Scope lenses they use. If you do it right you'll want to collect nothing but 3D. It's that much fun. [Cool]

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 03-13-2003 07:07 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The dichroic coating on the reflector is there to remove the INFRARED (heat) energy from the light output of the lamphouse, usually with a "cut" for wavelengths greater than about 750 nanometres. As Richard notes, an additional dichroic heat filter that mounts in the beam and reflects the IR to a heatsink is added insurance for larger lamps.

It's also a good idea to remove the ULTRAVIOLET energy from the light, as it can cause dye fading after thousands of runs. Century used to have a "UVIR" filter that mounted behind the shutter.

Here are some tutorials on dichroic interference filters:

http://www.ocli.com/pdf_files/products/dichroic_coatings_uv_vis_apps.pdf

http://www.ocli.com/pdf_files/products/gen_info_infrared_filters.pdf

http://www.spie.org/web/courses/videos/vid97ose.html

http://www.broadwaypress.com/PDFs/LTSpdfs/LTSchpt09.pdf

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-13-2003 09:13 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those small 1K's can still ruin polarizers just as badly as bigger lamps Do not project white light through the system for any extended length of time

Fred Georges
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2003 03:40 PM      Profile for Fred Georges   Email Fred Georges   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!] Whoops! Got my UV's & IR's mixed (Too much Bourbon). Thanks John for the correction. Assuming that this is the StereoVision one piece with anamorphic attachment. The polarizers are sandwiched between the adjustable prime & the Scope lens. As such the polarizers are much more prone to Heat damage then the front loaded mirror box attachments. I've never experienced Heat damage to the Mirror box type polarizers at anything under 2K but, yes I never run the lamp with a clear gate through them.

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2003 03:49 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's the backup lens "combiner" from StereoVision. One thing that is interesting is how to mount the StereoVision/backup lens separate from the anamorphic. Both have to be adjustable independently. I'm thinking a long 4" (dia) adapter, with setscrews at either end, since it has to go into a lens collar on the DP70 anyway

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-13-2003 10:17 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The original split lens had a thumb nut that allowed the back split lens section to be rotated independently of the anamorph is the black tube was what the lens mount clamped in place
Also there is a set of bristol splines on the side that can modify the convergance if necassary

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: