Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Spots developing on Osram bulbs (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Spots developing on Osram bulbs
Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 03-14-2003 08:10 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We're noticing a phenomenon here, and we're not sure what's causing it. We're running the Osram XBO HOFR 2K and 3K bulbs, and we're noticing small spots developing on the envelope, usually near the back end (the cathode?). We've called around to several other theaters in the area, and they're noticing it on some of their bulbs too. I'm not sure about the other theaters off hand, but we're using Strong consoles.

At first we were thinking someone was touching them when they put them in, but that appears to not be the case. I did a forum search and found that we should order the "Technology & Applications" book from Osram. In the mean time, does anyone have anythin they can offer off the top of their head that may clue us in to what the problem is? Also, has anyone else noticed any spotting on Osram bulbs recently?

Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-14-2003 10:42 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The best thing to do is to NOT use Osram lamps. They're no where near as good as they used to be.....Go with a brand name like Christie, LTI, or Superior Quartz. You'll have alot less trouble.
Mark @ CLACO

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 03-14-2003 10:55 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
What kind of spotting is it? A discoloration of the quartz, black residue, milky white or blue residue? That last one is from a gas leak. Can you post a photo?

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 03-14-2003 10:59 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adam beat me to it.

Post a picture. Maybe some of us can tell you what they are.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 03-14-2003 11:27 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You don't need to order it, Osram's document Technology and Applications: XBO Theatre Lamps is up on their web site (linked to from the discharge lamps section).

--jhawk

Larry Shaw
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2003 04:50 PM      Profile for Larry Shaw   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Shaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,
I have a couple bulbs that look like this:  -
 -

Is this the same damage you're getting?

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 03-16-2003 07:08 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That lamp is obviously overheated. Probably from bad electrode connections.

Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2003 08:48 AM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I too, have noticed similar discoloration on some of our bulbs.
Mark, which Strong Console Model is this?

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 03-16-2003 01:00 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to get that, too, years ago at a particular theatre. Never did figure out what it was. Just concluded it must have been the Osrams, since they began to fail more than Christies did.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 03-16-2003 01:05 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it is defective manufacturing and quality control. If you recall correctly, the metal ends of the xenon bulbs are designed to turn yellow if the temperature parameters are exceeded. I forgot what the figure was, but as far as I know, it is still being done that way by bulb manufacturers.

Larry, that looks like a "High Milage" bulb, and by looking at the anode, it might have been driven too hard. Is there a possibility some crud and corruption may be falling out of a dirty stack onto the bulb and burning its way into the envelope? Just a thought...

Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2003 11:14 PM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The reason that I asked about the type of Strong console being used, has to do with our experience at a couple of theatres using used equipment.

The older Highlight models brought air in through a relatively small fan at the back of the lamp and used it to cool the ends of the lamp. Mind you, these lamps were designed for a 3K maximum not for the higher watage bulbs that we were forced to put in them.

The Highlight II, on the other hand, uses a large fan forcing plenty of booth air into the "dog-house" behind the reflector. This has two advantages; the reflector is cooled by the heat-sinking effect of the pressurized air (pointed out by John Pytlak in another post) and the air rushing through the hole in the reflector around the bulb.

This air with a horizontal forward vector, meets the heat being reflected from the perpindicular heat filter. Fans, mounted at the front of the lamp and blowing up, just in front of the bulb, combine to send this hot air up the stack (which by the way, is much better placed than the one on the older Highlight).

During the X-90 phase of Strong's manufacturing, it appears that they elected to use the same philosophy in these lamps as well, at least in later phases of manufacturing. Earlier X-90's did not have the dog-house behind the reflector that the later ones did.

On my next service visits, I will pay attention to see if there is any relationship between lamphouse design and the discoloration Mark mentioned.

Robert Golding
Film Handler

- posted 03-17-2003 03:11 AM      Profile for Robert Golding   Email Robert Golding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had this problem with Osrams. I use to run 4k bulbs years ago and had this problem start at around 900 hrs. It's caused by overheating or in my case a bad ground to the lamphouse. I've since stopped using osrams and will only use Christie's. They haven't given me a problem for over 10 years.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 03-17-2003 09:17 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. Once again, I ask a question and go away for two days only to find tons of responses! Thanks for the help guys. To answer a few of the questions posed here...
quote:
What kind of spotting is it?
It's a milky white sometimes speckled spotting usually about the size of a small fingerprint (which is what we originally thought it was until we took extreme measures to ensure no one was touching them - only to have the spots show up anyway). Our engineer noticed that the spots are actually on the INSIDE of the envelope under the Cathode (not sure how I missed that before). The best way I can describe it is to quote our engineer: "It looks like a drop of milk fell off the back of the cathode and landed inside the quartz envelope."
quote:
Can you post a photo?
Good idea... I'm working on that. I'll get back to you.
quote:
which Strong Console Model is this?
I'll be at the theater tonight, and I can give you an exact model number. Off the top of my head, they are Strong Super Highlights, and they're about 12 years old. I'm not sure about the other theaters that our manager called, but I'll find out.

Thanks again!
Mark

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 03-17-2003 10:48 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Either something is subliming and depositing itself on the inside of the quartz envelope, or it is a type of vitrification (recrystalization) of the quartz. In either case, it looks like the lamp will be more prone to catastrophic failure.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 03-17-2003 11:43 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, any dark spots on the envelope also conduct more heat. It's a chain-reaction.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: