Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Platter footprints (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Platter footprints
Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2003 03:22 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How much floor space would a platter take up or how much room would I need to have for one?

|  IP: Logged

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 03-14-2003 03:35 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's not the actual "footprint" you have to accommodate. The disks themselves are usually wider.

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2003 03:38 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats what I am talking about, the total ammount of space needed.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 03-14-2003 05:21 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam, you can count on about the same space (maybe a little more) than a second projector. Depends on whether the discs are 48" or whatever, of course. Plus, I always tried to allow maybe 24" - 36" between the column and the front wall, to give a person room to walk behind it.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 03-14-2003 05:43 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I concur: Having a good amount of space between the post and the wall will save you a lot of time and stress. I think you will be much, MUCH happier if you can work that into your plans.

One of my little booths doesn't have enough room for that and it's a minor inconvenience that turns into a pet peeve and then graduates to become the centre of a hateful universe. Okay, I'm exaggerating (maybe). That same booth is tight on clearance between the platter and the back wall as well. I'd say we have less than 2 feet there. It's really horrible.

On the other hand, my favorite booth has about 18" - 24" between the post and the front wall and about 50" or more between the platters and the back wall. The discs are the standard size for Christie AW3's (not the mini size).

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 03-14-2003 09:46 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam, whatever you do, make sure your platter is spotted in such a manner as you have plenty of "ass room."

I say this because of one incident that happened to me. The platter was too close to the wall, and when I was threading it, I stooped down and my tailbone hit an object on the wall squarely.

There is only one thing I remember that was more painful...and that was falling on the cross bar of my bicycle wen I was 16 years old.

Another thing I remember was seeing a control box on the wall which was about 5 feet off the floor, about 2 feet away from a platter mast. I can see somebody could crack their skull open if they hit it while standing up while threading a platter. As soon as I saw that, I moved the box up to 7 feet from the floor. This was at Cinema 5 in Mount Vernon, where the electrician's helper obvoiusly had his head up his ass when he mounted the box. [Mad]

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 03-15-2003 03:02 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Same goes for film cleaners mounted on the top of the post. After hitting my head four times I took the darn thing off for the fifth show. Nearly knocked myself out.

Sam, make sure you have as much room as possible between the tree and the actualy projector. The more room you have, the smoother the payout will be.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-15-2003 03:35 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Film cleaner mounted at the TOP of the platter? The only manufacturer stupid enough to do that (that I know of) is Big Sky. Is that what you are using, or is there another?

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 03-15-2003 03:36 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope... Strong platter, dumbass installer.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 03-15-2003 07:02 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Paul Thompson: Another thing I remember was seeing a control box on the wall which was about 5 feet off the floor, about 2 feet away from a platter mast.
Been there!.. Done that!.. Bought the T-Shirt! [Big Grin]

I don't know HOW many shirts and pairs of pants I have ruined catching them on the sharp corners of junction boxes that stick out from the wall near the working area of a projector!

Not to mention, the number of scars I have on my ass from getting gored by pieces of sharp metal sticking out! I have stopped wearing nice clothes to work because of it. The boss tries to yell at me for dressing shabbily but I just tell him that I'll dress better if he gives me a clothing allowance.

Architects designers and install technicians would do well to consider the amount of "ass room" needed when designing and furnishing their buildings! [Mad]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-15-2003 05:41 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
There is nothing worse for your back than a slide port window freshly mounted between the platter and projector at just slightly above waist level.

Well come to think of it there is one equally stupid thing...installers who hard wire the power into the platter using a 6 inch strip of flex conduit to the box on the wall. And I always see this kind of nonsense in extremely large booths too! [Mad]

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2003 11:46 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, heres a loaded question. Whats the best platter out there?
Whats yaws favorites?
If buying a used one which one would be the most reliable?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-16-2003 12:28 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
On the used market:

First choice: AW3
Second choice: LP270

There is no third choice.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 03-16-2003 12:49 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AW3 would be my first choice.

I would also settle for LP associates, Strong International, or Kineton, depending on the budget.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 03-16-2003 12:56 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What Brad said. I once bought three AW-3s for a song because a theatre circuit with some ex-GCC locations was a champion for Potts. Everyone walked away happy. I could've had more, but didn't have the storage space.

Now, I'm lucky to have storage space for my computer.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: