Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » What do Film Guard treated prints look like

Author Topic: What do Film Guard treated prints look like
Scott Balko
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2003 10:40 PM      Profile for Scott Balko   Email Scott Balko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Every run of every print I have gets run through the cleaner with film guard on it. After about a week, there gets to be a streaky look to the film stock. The on screen image and the sound are flawless, but the film itself doesn't have the pretty shiny look to it anymore. Am I doing something wrong or is this normal? I followed the instructions about rewinding after every run and putting on fresh pads weekly. Can too little back tension be the problem? [Confused]

|  IP: Logged

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 03-15-2003 11:27 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like you're using too much Film Guard. As the instructions say, the stuff goes a LONG way! If your platter is coated with the stuff, you're probably overdoing it. Get some alcohol & clean off your transports & rollers.

That streaky look is normal when you first put it on. We stopped putting it on while running the print on-screen because of that. We're now using a bracket we put on our rewind bench & apply the Film-Guard there. Over time & consistent use, the surface streaks go away from the film, but it retains that "slick" feel, and flawless presentation.

Don't use so much solution & you'll probably find the problem goes away.

Oh.... don't use that green media. It doesn't absorb the solution or apply it evenly. Use the white Film Guard rolls (or the blue, if they're still around).

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 03-15-2003 11:35 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What does a Film Guard-treated print look like on screen on the pass where it is initially being applied? Any streakiness or other noticeable affect on this first run?

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2003 12:02 AM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only time I have ever seen the streaks was when I knowingly over-saturated the pads when I was running an old, filthy, brittle print through. They were gone after the second run through normally-soaked pads.

Other than that, I have run it on brand-new prints with no visible streaking on screen.

As for how the print itself looks, I've noticed a slight "glow" on the edges of the prints as they lay on the platter. No more of that "gritty" look when a print first comes out of the cans with all that shipping grime on the edges. On the image area, I do notice a "line" or two of Film-Guard occasionally, but it never appears on-screen. I thought it was a base scratch at first, but I wiped a bit off of the tail with my finger.

=TMP=

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-16-2003 12:20 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, it depends on the filmstock and how it was processed. Regardless it doesn't sound like you are doing anything wrong. Remember, what matters is how it projects to the screen along with the benefits and protection it offers. The first run inparticular upon physical inspection of the film does look like liquid streaks on it (because it is). Subsequent passes smooth it out more and more. Do note that the takeup tension of your platter and intensity of your light source make a difference in how "smooth and glossy" the print physically appears to be. However as you have noted, none of it has any detrimental effect to the onscreen image and the projector runs much easier through the projector.

Steve, yes it *can* look like thin scratches to an untrained inspector. If you ever run across a print you think may have been FilmGuarded and are not sure, rub your finger lightly over a frame. You will notice that the FG wipes away cleanly and effortlessly leaving that "brand new glossy print" look to it when it is reflected in light. Also, if you have a very bright light source (which you probably do in a screening room setup), then the first pass you may notice very slight visible streaks in the picture. Basically the streaks are the FG and if you look at a daylight scene, you will notice where the streaks are, the picture is projecting brighter and with slightly more saturated colors. By the second pass, the streaks are gone under all but those severely overlit screens. You can avoid all projected streaking if you clean on the rewind bench or pre-screen the film once, though. When looking at the side of a print laying on a platter (or a smooth reel wind), you will notice that glossy "glow" Thomas speaks about that has a rainbow reflection to it.

Scott Balko
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2003 09:20 AM      Profile for Scott Balko   Email Scott Balko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, when I wipe the film with dry media (I use "Film Tech" media pads) the glossy appearance returns. I don't re-soak with Film Guard every run, I just rewind the pads. Sometimes I see the streaks of liquid on the initial run, but I understand that. I just wanted to be sure that I wasn't hurting the print in any way. My projectors stay very clean, and they run smoother than ever. Just want to do "film done right". [Wink] The other thing that I have found that can help lessen the streaks on the first run is to load the new media and soak it the night before it runs. It seems to apply more evenly.

By the time I ran "Greek Wedding", it was fairly old. The print was in good shape and didn't get that smudged appearance to the stock. Maybe it had something to do with the amount of heat cycles the film had been through. Kind of like a curing process, maybe.

[ 03-16-2003, 11:59 AM: Message edited by: Scott Balko ]

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2003 12:59 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Give the film the sniff test. Film Guard has a deffinate aroma. Once you know the smell, it's easy to recognize

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 03-16-2003 08:08 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How many guys out there mark the tails of the films they treat with FilmGuard?

I ALWAYS write, "Treated with FilmGuard - <Instert Date Here> www.film-tech.com" on the label at the tail of the print.

When dealing with a new film distrubutor, I ALWAYS ask before applying FilmGuard to a print. Never have I been refused.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: