Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Whats wrong with this picture (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Whats wrong with this picture
Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2003 06:58 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-16-2003 07:09 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
He isn't using AW3 platters. [Razz]

I've seen this quite a bit. If the print is small I can move it by myself without clamps. If I have a helper we never use clamps (don't want the scratched platter decks), but I would never move such a big print without a helper or clamps!

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2003 07:12 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the sound "rack" is wall mounted (too high for short people to reach), the platter is slightly out of level, there is a big glass on an electrical wire raceway, and if you look closely......there is a bad splice between reels 9 & 10 [Wink]

Rick

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 03-16-2003 07:12 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Same here, I almost never use clamps. Anytime I would prefer to they usually aren't big enough for the print. Provided a platter is rewinding with proper tension I don't think twice about moving anything around 110 minutes by myself like in the photo.

BTW, that looks like a print of Gods and Generals.

Oh and the fact that it looks Photoshopped.

German Marin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2003 07:22 PM      Profile for German Marin   Email German Marin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The smile. How do you do to have a big [Big Grin] smile while you're handling that big print (without clamps)! Obviously the guy that took the picture should be helping you, doesn't he? How many reels has that movie print?

Tim Turner
Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2003 08:07 PM      Profile for Tim Turner   Email Tim Turner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can understand how he'd pick up that print like that, but I don't understand how he intends to lay it down.
Anyway moving a large print like that with no help or clamps isn't very smart. I don't know if thats you Aaron, but I'm guessing that guy is not a projectionist, but probably a manger from downstairs, acting like he can do everytyhing, and he probably hasn't visited this website before either. [Big Grin]

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 03-16-2003 08:08 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You'd basically have to throw it on the deck -- and hope you don't miss!

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 03-16-2003 08:31 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That picture scares the hell out of me and I don't even work in a freakin' booth. [Eek!]

Manuel Francisco Valencia
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2003 08:34 PM      Profile for Manuel Francisco Valencia   Email Manuel Francisco Valencia   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We only had to move Gods and Generals once and we just pulled up the platter. With about fifteen minutes of trailers I believe Gods and Generals comes close to 4 miles of film. That would be a bitch to put back together if it were ever dropped.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-16-2003 08:41 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That big fluorescent light in the ceiling has got to go!

My preferred method for moving prints between platters is the "cookie sheet," which is just a big round masonite (?) disk with a hole in the center and holes for the pins in the center ring. The print takes up onto the cookie sheet on its last show, and then the whole thing can be easily and safely lifted up and moved to another house without needing clamps. This avoids scratching the platter decks and makes it possible to move prints which are either too long or too short to be clamped. I've never had the luxury of having a helper to assist with print moves and have had the "fun" of moving prints in a theatre where getting from one booth to the other involves walking through a (stadium-style) auditorium and then up a very steep staircase. Thankfully I've never had a problem when moving prints (knock on wood).

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2003 08:56 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The person in this picture is my boss, not me and in the past five years he has not dropped any prints, though he has come close and even he will admit that. I respect this guy as probably one of the best I've worked with in twelve years, but yes he can get a little cocky from time to time. His name is Chad and I have his permission to post this picture. This post has been edited by me because I accidentelly remained logged in on the booth computer and Chad felt the need to defend himself on my name and password. Brad, for that I apologize.

So come on Chad, register and post, you asked for it buddy! [Razz]

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2003 09:28 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
that booth has an internet connection? [Smile]

Andrew Duggan
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-17-2003 12:46 AM      Profile for Andrew Duggan   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew Duggan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like to use the cookie sheet whenever possible, too. As far as moving prints myself, I just don't do it. Even if it is just a small 5 reel print. The way I see it, the extra 5 minutes you save by not calling and waiting for someone to give you a hand is laughable compared to the time you'll be spending on the floor with your splicer if you misstep and drop it. I also don't think slinging the print over your shoulder is a very advisable way to move prints either. While it's certainly more comfortable to carry and move around that way, if the print DID start to come apart on you, you would have almost no control, and no quick way to get it onto a horizontal surface without having to turn it (and probably end up doing more harm in the process)

The most god-awful, mind-bogglingly unprofessional way I've ever heard of people moving prints, happened for quite some time at the theater I work at. As I understand it, when the old projection staff (made up, not surprisingly, of teenagers who couldn't care less)had to move prints, they would just tape up the print on the platter, and than lift the entire platter off of the tree and swap it with the platter where they were moving it to. Thankfully these people were fired and are now gracing the kitchens of various fast food establishments. And as you could probably have guessed, a good number of our platters are FUBAR as a result.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 03-17-2003 01:08 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's wrong with that picture? you probably jammed a your back enough where you had some pain the next day. [Embarrassed]

Don Bruechert
Mmmmmmmmm, bird!

- posted 03-17-2003 08:31 AM      Profile for Don Bruechert   Author's Homepage   Email Don Bruechert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We do that platter move thing. It works quite well. All of our platters are the same type, and if we get a print that is too big for clamps we either have to pull several reels off and then put them back on, or find some other way. A couple guys I work with came up with a clamp that spans the entire platter and holds the print down. Then two of us pick up the whole platter and carry it to the next booth it needs to live in. We take the empty platter from that booth and put it in place of the one we just moved. Saves a lot of time and we haven't had any problems.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: