Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Does Dreamcatcher have a short attatched? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Does Dreamcatcher have a short attatched?
Michael Rourke
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-19-2003 03:53 PM      Profile for Michael Rourke   Email Michael Rourke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of my projectionists called me and said that Dreamcatcher has reels 1A and 1B. He only noticed becasue after reel one was unwound he saw credits and a blue screen. I told him to rewind to some image and see if anyone in the film was in that reel, if not then it's probably a short of some kind.

Just looked at the Dreamcatcher page, and it is an AniMatrix movie called the Final Flight of the Osiris. I probably should have looked there first.

|  IP: Logged

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 03-19-2003 04:01 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's a short that has something to do with The Matrix.

Matt Hale
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-19-2003 04:03 PM      Profile for Matt Hale   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Hale   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They have been advertising "Last Flight of the Osiris" - a short animated prequel to the next Matrix movie as playing with Dreamcatcher. I have not seen a print of that movie, nor do I know whether this is in all markets, or just some.

Andrew Duggan
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-19-2003 04:19 PM      Profile for Andrew Duggan   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew Duggan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did an explanation come in the cans with the print at all? Seems like that would be a good idea, judging from the "quality" of work and attention span of a lot of todays "popcorn projectionists" boast... [Roll Eyes]

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-19-2003 06:24 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For a given "double" (2000') reel, there will always be an "A" and a "B" part. Films are assembled by the negative cutter into 1000' lengths, so reel "1" is actually reel "1AB" and is composed of lab roll 1A and lab roll 1B. Old IB Technicolor prints have a lab splice between the "A" and "B" sections.

This is not to be confused with "A & B roll printing" aka "checkerboard printing," which is a different thing altogether and involves two negative rolls which alternate between picture and black leader at every cut. This allows certain optical effects (like fades, dissolves, superimposition, etc.) to be done as part of the contact printing process (instead of in an optical printer) and is necessary to produce invisible negative splices in 16mm.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 03-19-2003 07:37 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is the case. Reel 1a is the 10 minute short and 1b is the first reel of the film. From what I understand all markets will be getting the short.

Aldo Baez
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-19-2003 10:18 PM      Profile for Aldo Baez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can download it at theanimatrix.com its very good fantastic animation.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 03-19-2003 10:24 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am SO GLAD you guys posted this here because I saw it right before a projectionist called me at home (at 10pm) to ask what the deal was.

Naturally, I pretended that I "just know these things." I'll tell her the truth next week.

Maybe.

Anyways, thanks.

Kyle Watkins
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-19-2003 11:16 PM      Profile for Kyle Watkins   Email Kyle Watkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a note with my print.

Please be advised:

"Dreamcatcher" with the "Final Flight" reel is a total of 8 reels.

Reel 1A is the short "Final Flight" and 1B is the start of the feature " Dreamcatcher"

At the beginning of reel 1B is the trailer attachment of "Malibu's Most Wanted"

Thank You,

Warner Bros. Dist. Corp

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-20-2003 01:18 AM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all. So essentially, the short has its own head and tail with blue screen? I remember MIIB had the Chubb Chubbs, but I wasn't working in booth when we had it. Is it similar to that title? Thanks!

AJ Garman

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 03-20-2003 09:30 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chubb Chubbs came to us in a plastic baggie on a core. No reels.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 03-20-2003 09:40 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wait a minute...
quote:
Reel 1A is the short "Final Flight" and 1B is the start of the feature " Dreamcatcher"

At the beginning of reel 1B is the trailer attachment of "Malibu's Most Wanted"

How stupid is that??? I always thought that having trailers attached to a print is a dumb idea anyway, but this seams absolutely retarded!

Nicholas Roznovsky
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-20-2003 09:54 AM      Profile for Nicholas Roznovsky   Author's Homepage   Email Nicholas Roznovsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Putting the attached trailer between the short and the feature makes it much less likely that most projectionists will take the time and trouble to remove it from the print. Distributors don't care so much about presentation, it's all about marketing agreements for them.

Richard Miller
Film Handler

- posted 03-20-2003 01:33 PM      Profile for Richard Miller   Email Richard Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our company has sent out an e-mail telling all theaters showing Dreamcatcher to remove the attached trailer. Apparently they thought it was shorter than it actually was due to the 10 min short. Now what are people going to do without being able to see their Malibu's Most Wanted trailer [Roll Eyes]

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 03-20-2003 01:36 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No it won't. If it's the theater's policy to do that, then it's not making it less likely that they'll follow the policy, it just makes extra work for them.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: