Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Looking to refinish lamphouse reflectors

Author Topic: Looking to refinish lamphouse reflectors
Patrick McDonough
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-20-2003 03:26 PM      Profile for Patrick McDonough   Email Patrick McDonough   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am looking for a good company that refinishes lamphouse reflectors, relatively cheaply.

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 03-20-2003 03:44 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
UltraFlat is the only place outside of the equipment manufaturers themselves that perform this service (I believe many of the manufacturers send their reflectors here as well)...

-Aaron

Patrick McDonough
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-20-2003 04:16 PM      Profile for Patrick McDonough   Email Patrick McDonough   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very good Thank you. for the quick reply. [Smile]

Philippe Laude
Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2003 03:10 AM      Profile for Philippe Laude   Email Philippe Laude   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello.
Does anybody know some company in Europe that refinishes lamphouse reflectors like ULTRAFLAT does?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-21-2003 08:37 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ultraflat does indeed do a nice job but it saves you almost nothing if your dealer is giving you a decent discount on new parts as he should be..... Another negative is that if your reflector is dichroic then Ultraflat will charge you alot more to replace the dicro coating after the reflector itself has been redone. Few, if any, lamphouses that have dicro coated reflectors are set up to be able to use the extra heat interference filter that you would install to keep the infrared and UV light off the film and projector. I have yet to have a reflector re-done by them because of the slim economics, but that option is always there for older lamphouses whose reflectors are obsolete, or are not dichro coated.
Mark @ CLACO

Patrick McDonough
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2003 08:45 AM      Profile for Patrick McDonough   Email Patrick McDonough   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have a lot of older equipment that we run with.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-21-2003 09:56 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most labs use a hot reflector with a heat filter and I don't know of any lamphouse that is an issue with

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-23-2003 09:49 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gord,
There are many lamphouses that use non-dichro mirrors which Ultraflat can certainly take care of fomr an economic standpoint, and many of those are in older units whose mirrors are NLA from the manufacturer.

I agree on the lab issue as its easier to get a pair of heat filters to give U the same color temperature on screen than it is getting matched dicro mirrors.....as long as both heat mirrors are at the exact same angle color temp will match. Ultraflat makes excellent heat filters nd I've used them on several LF systems where the LF equipment manufacturer wanted way too much $$ for them.

People just need to be aware of the need for a heat filter at say 2kw and up, and the cost of getting and installing that it adds to the restored mirror. Or the even greater added cost of having new dicro coating put back on after having reflectors done by Ultraflat. Except for the obsolete stuff, I still have not found them to be economically feesable for restoring curently available mirrors. Get a price from them sometime on say a Super Lum-Ex, or Super 80 Mirror restored, and with Dicro coating. You could easily buy two new mirrors from Strong for what Ultraflat gets.
Mark @ CLACO

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-23-2003 12:11 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One problem with some of the newer dichro reflectors is that they have bad coatings. I had a lot of grief with the ones that came out of the PE ORC facilitie optiform

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 03-23-2003 12:49 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon,
Perkin Elmer electroform and Optiform are separate reflector manufacturers. I have been at the P & E plant and among other things they produce are the Maglight flashlight reflectors which is produced on a form with scores of tiny reflector bumps.
I have usd UltraFlat on older ORC reflectors with good result. The worst metal reflector I have seen are produced in France where you can see "rings" on the reflector surface; I replaced one with a P & E reflector and had a dramatic increase in illumination.
Richard Fowler
Kinoton America Inc.

Ken McFall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2003 02:22 PM      Profile for Ken McFall   Email Ken McFall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Philippe,

I recently send a metal mirror of an early 6500 cinemcannica lamphouse to Calmat/Lenco lighting who arranged for it to be resurfaced.

These mirrors are no longer available so I had to use a spare mirror from another lamphouse, that I was waiting to install. The results were very good indeed. For about three hundred pounds I was able to give a perfectly servicable lamphouse a new lease of life.

Contact George Taylor at www.calmat.co.uk who may be able to give you a more local contact or arrange for the work for you.

Regards.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-23-2003 03:58 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have had lots of ORC reflectors and Xetron one redone at ultraflat and always happy

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: