Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Odd interframe marks on Frida? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Odd interframe marks on Frida?
John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 03-20-2003 05:27 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone seen these peculiar inter-frame marks before:
 -

(Hmm, it looks a little twisted, but it's basically just a thin white line).

They seem to show up every 5 frames on the tail of Frida's R4. I ended up with an uncut tail, and the first mark was between the last frame and the rest of the movie, and at first I thought, "Wow, are they trying to encourage projectionists to @b[cut the ID frame right here]?". But then I looked further and they seem to repeat every 5 frames.

What causes these?

--jhawk

|  IP: Logged

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 03-20-2003 05:34 PM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Took a peek of my print of Frida and didn't notice this, although I didn't get the best look.

Patrick McDonough
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-20-2003 07:10 PM      Profile for Patrick McDonough   Email Patrick McDonough   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When we had our copy I didn't notice anything like that. [Confused]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-20-2003 07:38 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I do remember seeing it on mine. At first glance it looked like someone cut the negative, then decided to extend the shot, but those marks are clearly not negative splices. I don't have any idea what it is.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 03-20-2003 07:40 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a video retrace line.
[Razz]

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 03-20-2003 09:15 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't really had a chance to look at our print in detail (I wasn't the one inspecting it...), but we had a replacement reel 4, and both reel 4s have this at the tail...but not at the head. I'll try to look in more detail if I have a chance this weekend.

--jhawk

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 03-20-2003 09:35 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shouldn't this be on a secure server?

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 03-22-2003 06:23 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting. Was "Frida" done using digital intermediate?

Tao Yue
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2003 11:05 AM      Profile for Tao Yue   Author's Homepage   Email Tao Yue   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frida was color-timed at EFilm:
http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/students/filmtech/prieto.shtml

The Kodak article's reference to digital "squeezing" of Super 35 into anamorphic is a bit puzzling, though, given that the film is flat ...

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 03-22-2003 05:33 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That article was a reprint from the February 2003 issue of "Film and Video" magazine, reprinted on the Kodak website. Being a digital intermediate could explain such an "electronic" artifact in the frameline.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 03-22-2003 05:49 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What would cause the artefact?

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 03-22-2003 05:56 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It appears that somehow the image was scanned onto the film with a slight overlap at the frameline.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 03-22-2003 11:29 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For the record, I looked a bit harder at Frida this afternoon. I saw the effect (every 5th frame) for most scenes on R4, but not all of them. I didn't see it on other reels.

In addition to Tao's Kodak link, there's also an article in American Cinematographer, Oct 2002. It doesn't spend much time on the digital side of things, but surprisingly it asserts that Frida was shot in "Anamorphic 1.85:1". I guess that might mean they shot with anamorphic lenses onto super 35 (for the extra width?! why?) and then digitally 2x'd it and framed it for 1.85:1. That seems totally bizarre though, so perhaps it's just an error.

Maybe they planned on doing Frida in scope and then changed their minds? I'd have expected that to be mentioned in some of the articles.

As for resolution, an SGI/EFILM press-release briefly mentions Frida, and goes on to suggest that EFILM is a 2k house. (Huh. I didn't know EFILM was a subsidiary of Panavision and Deluxe Laboratories...)

I'll agree that the fact that Frida is digital intermediate is simply too significant to overlook, and that it is probably related, since we don't know how the traditional process would produce this effect. I still don't understand why it would be so regular every 5 frames. I mean, it's not as if the telecine scans 20 perfs at once, right? [Confused]

Well, I guess we can chalk this up as one of those benign mysteries of life.

--jhawk

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 03-23-2003 12:29 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ads for Clairmont Camera (a rental house) used to tout the advantages of Super 1.85, claiming it made the release prints look as sharp as dailies. I doubt there were many takers since most filmmakers would rather not have their entire show have to go through an optical printer if it can be avoided.

BUT now that the age of the digital intermediate is upon us it would make sense to use the full width of the film since the conversion can be handled digitally.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 03-23-2003 12:43 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The filmmakers framed Frida in the standard 1.85:1 aspect ratio, in part to better represent the vertical architecture at the show?s numerous locations. "Titus [shot in Super 35 by Luciano Tovoli, ASC, AIC] is one of the best-framed movies I?ve ever seen," Prieto remarks. "The use of widescreen is just incredible, so going into Frida I thought Julie might want to use widescreen again. But a lot of our locations were vertical, and Frida?s paintings are vertical. Shooting in 1.85 enabled us to get closer to her paintings without cropping into them."

here is an excert from the artical that JHawk was talking about. I don't understand where they got the anamorphic 1.85 from when it says they used standart 1.85 ratio.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: