Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Why remove 1st head and last tail? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Why remove 1st head and last tail?
Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2003 04:21 PM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have never built a film for platter projection, but I've received hundreds of films that have been built prior to getting to me. 98% of the time, if a film has been built, the head of the first reel and the tail of the last reel have been removed (then reattached, if I am lucky, after breakdown.) It seems to me that it would be simple to leave those parts intact, and then attach any necessary threading/tail leader to the existing head and tail. Can anyone explain why films are built this way? Iam curious.

|  IP: Logged

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 03-21-2003 04:23 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's no reason to cut the tail off the last reel.

As for the head of the first reel, I sometimes like to stick in a couple trailers between the leader and the head. [Smile] [Wink]

In either case, it makes no difference whether you're using a platter or changeovers -- unless of course you have your trailers on a seperate reel and are changing over to the first reel of the feature (which I'd hazzard a guess you are doing).

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 03-21-2003 04:38 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe there are three reasons to cut the tail of the last reel:

1. So you can put the threading leader between the end of the feature and the tail, so that the tail can get all damaged, dirty, twisted, and crumpled, and then reattached, so the next projectionist has an inconvenience to deal with. [evil]

2. Some people like to see the tail lettering (e.g. slashed titles if Deluxe Hollywood) on the outside of the built film on the platter, to save themselves the having to make a label. [this justification is also relatively weak...]

3. Projectionists who are to lame to notice the reel they are building up is the last reel.

--jhawk

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2003 04:45 PM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty dumb, I forgot all about those little trailer things. That's another thing I rarely, if ever have to deal with. Thanks for the reminder. The tail cut still baffles me though.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 03-21-2003 04:49 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
4. Dumbass projectionists that consistently have platter tail wraps and have to cut it off (along with a bunch of titles) to repair it. [thumbsdown]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-21-2003 05:09 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
If the tail leader is nice and clean, but was cut off, odds are the end of the movie (rating band, studio logo, end of credits, etc) is beaten to shit. The reasoning is at theaters that do not have functioning dousers or automations that they do not want the noise (visual and audible) showing at the end of the movie. So instead they just cut it off and REALLY trash up the end of the movie. People that do that just suck. (Fix your equipment guys!)

Additional protection leader should be added to the end of the factory leader. Otherwise there is unnecessary handling of the end of the movie in cutting it off to move it to the end of the factory leader. Plus anyone who does that is just trashing the tail leader to the last reel which in turn when spliced back onto the print will muck up whatever care there was to the end of the show. To add to the stupidity, it takes more time to do this than to grab a piece of tape and make a label. [Roll Eyes]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-21-2003 06:05 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe they are running a second feature in the same screen and both are on the same platter, hence cutting the tail of the last reel of feature #1.

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2003 06:23 PM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Am I reading somethhing wrong here?
Why would anyone put extra leader between the end rating and the tail leader?
Doesn't sound to make any sense.

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 03-21-2003 06:31 PM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I work at a 2nd run house and I rarely, I mean RARELY ever see the last reels tail cut off. [Confused] Do you commonly get prints from the same theater to have 98% (or so) of your tails cut off?

Pete Wolla
Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2003 08:20 PM      Profile for Pete Wolla   Email Pete Wolla   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
we're second run and most end reel tail leaders are still attached.since we don't have any blank leader i've just been using an old ad to keep the movie off the floor.(no automation)is this ok?

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 03-21-2003 09:07 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pete - anything that is long enough to keep the tail of the print off of the floor is fine. I can't think of a better use for an ad than dragging it across the floor. [Smile]

Just make sure you change this drag strip regularly if you're not always using a film cleaner.

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2003 11:20 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cutting the tail and adding leader seems like a fruitless waste fo time, IMO. It is much simpler, and smarter, it would seem, to add the blank leader to the extreme tail of the film rather than cut it and insert it just prior... [Confused] [Confused]

Patrick McDonough
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2003 11:39 PM      Profile for Patrick McDonough   Email Patrick McDonough   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We never cut the tail off, unless the other projectionist gets it ripped off.

Nicholas Roznovsky
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2003 11:59 PM      Profile for Nicholas Roznovsky   Author's Homepage   Email Nicholas Roznovsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't really say that I've seen the tail cut off of too many prints either, even at our sub-run locations. The only time it seems to happen is when we get an older print for an auditorium rental.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 03-22-2003 12:21 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We usually cut the first reel leader off since we had preconfigured threading leaders with all the sound logo or THX and company logo trailers permanently attached to them so that we didn`t have to cut the precious logo trailers all the time. The first cue was of course on our leader too so that we simply had to remove the head leader from the first reel, usually after the "3", and splice our leader on.
But we never cut off the final leader either. We would rather often attach some extra film so that the end of the film didn`t get scratched when leaving the projector.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: