Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Piglet's Big Movie timecode problem?

Author Topic: Piglet's Big Movie timecode problem?
John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2003 07:13 PM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Had a problem with the DTS timecode on reel 4 of Piglet's Big Movie. Had complaints of timecode in and out on the first show. Indeed, I checked it out and found that it could not hold the timecode.

Switched to another disk for the next show, and sure enough, it dropped out again on the fourth reel.

I"m having my operators switch the prints tonight (we have two, although the one in the other house it is playing in has no DTS, as the unit is out for repair) and I will run the second print early tomorrow to see if the problem persists. I hesitate to call TES until I can confirm that both prints do exactly the same thing, because the last time I had a problem, it took two weeks to get a replacement reel, and then TES demanded that the old reel be shipped back the day after the new one arrived(on my two days off, naturally)!!!

I talked to Karen Hultgren about the problem this afternoon and said that I would post this evening. Has anyone else had a problem with reel 4?

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-21-2003 07:48 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, my reel 4 dropped out of SRD 1/2 way through and would not run the rest of the reel. Granted the disruption helped the movie (it distracted me from the horrible movie itself), but regardless I requested another reel.

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2003 08:25 PM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have contacted the studio and, please, let your distibuator know to send you a replacemment reel.

Thanks, Karen

P.S. 3-24-03, be sure that your problem really is a print one - the reader will blink a lot (or you'll have high edit counts on your DTS-6AD). A disc problem will show itself as the light on the drive itself will come on steadily. The light on the drive should wink when reading a disc.

[ 03-24-2003, 01:19 PM: Message edited by: Karen Hultgren ]

John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2003 11:22 AM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I went in early this morning to do a little more detective work. Ran the second(B) print in the same house, with the timecode rock steady for three reels and bingo! The DTS dropped out again on the 4th reel. Would not hold the timecode and kept switching in and out.

Now it gets better. I moved the A print up to the big house and sat down to await the change to reel 4. Would you believe? Rock solid with no loss of timecode. Not even a wink. I switched discs of both prints, so it's not a disc problem.

I'm wondering if the reader in the big house is less sensitive? If the track is printed slightly off on that 4th reel, perhaps the newer unit still reads it?

We have another unit out for repair and it is scheduled to arrive back to us on Monday. As fate would have it, Piglet is playing in the house where it belongs.

I hesitate to ask TES for replacements at this time. The last time I did that I had a problem with reel #2 of Chicago dropping out of DTS (both of the prints that we had at the time). By the time I got the replacement reels, one of the prints was to go out the next day and was not in a DTS house. I replaced both anyway and guess what? Reel #2 still dropped out on the print that we kept!

I'm probably asking for more work for no gain. By the time I get the replacements, the prints will be out of DTS houses or back to the depot.

Jeffry L. Johnson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2003 06:19 PM      Profile for Jeffry L. Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeffry L. Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What about the next theater to play that print? If you do not replace the bad reel I hope you include a note describing the problem.

Don Bruechert
Mmmmmmmmm, bird!

- posted 03-22-2003 07:40 PM      Profile for Don Bruechert   Author's Homepage   Email Don Bruechert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A little off topic, but I was told today by a reputable member of our staff, that we are having problems in reel 2. I have piglet running in the mono house and there were several sound dropouts and focus shifts in that reel, looking a lot like a processing problem. We called TES and they are sending us a new reel.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-22-2003 11:00 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check which vintage of timecode reader you have the newer ones that have the seel lable on them have a better tracking as they have a slightly wider scanning area than the older one do

John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2003 10:46 AM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Gordon. I suspected that might be the case. The unit in question is an original one.

Jeffrey- I always include a note when a print goes out of my booth that has a problem , or if it was received with damage. I also include my name, company name, address, telephone and fax number, in case anyone has any questions.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-23-2003 12:09 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On thoses older readers usually I can find a spot that will track all of the film by just rocking the scrw back and forth during the trouble reel until it works and then check that the rest of the feature works

[ 03-25-2003, 10:10 PM: Message edited by: Gordon McLeod ]

John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2003 07:33 PM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks again, Gordon. Some adjustment of the screw was necessary. Got an occasional wink or two, but no dropouts on reel #4. Rest of the print remained rock solid.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: