Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Theatre Temperature (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Theatre Temperature
William Leland III
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2003 04:12 PM      Profile for William Leland III   Author's Homepage   Email William Leland III   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering if anyone has put a thermostat on the outside of the booth window?

It would be very convenient and save time. In most booths I have worked, projectionist control the temperature. So why not have a thermostat stat on the outside of the booth window. When we would start a movie, we could check the temperature, rather than do a temperature walk threw.

not sure about what forum to put this in. sorry

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2003 05:54 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Impractical given that heat rises. If the port is located near the ceiling of the auditorium, the temperature outside will not be the same as the floor level.

William Leland III
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2003 06:11 PM      Profile for William Leland III   Author's Homepage   Email William Leland III   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yeah i thought of that also, but stadium seating style booths are only a few feet higher than the last row of seats. you could also have the thermostat at the bottom and have the readout displayed at the booth window.

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2003 06:16 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
True about stadium, and I wasn't thinking about the possibility of remote sensing. I like climate control located in the booth because it does save a lot of hassles with customers and dumb-ass staff members alike. I guess the age old problem of too hot / too cold keeps rearing it's ugly head once again.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 03-22-2003 06:28 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even if you have stadium seating, if you have an HVAC system,
all air should be flowing and the temperature near the booth
window shouldn't that far off from the rest of the room. Imagine
you're measuring the return air temperature and not the room temp. or the supply temp.

--jhawk

Chris Byrne
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2003 08:00 PM      Profile for Chris Byrne   Email Chris Byrne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
William,

Like most of our Australian sites, we have gone to a centrally controlled air conditioning system, with DDC, modem, etc.

I think that although the system is obviously designed for greater cost efficiency - the old thermometer set-up worked fine.

I find that there are just as many complaints now as there was with the old set-up, which just proves the fact that you can't please everybody.

Also if you get on OK with your a/c contractors, ask if you can borrow a 'sling' to test the relative humidity inside the booth.
Outside humidity regularly tops 90% outside where I live and I found I had to drop the booth temperature a couple of degrees to get anywhere near the optimum 50 - 60% range of realtive humidity.

William Leland III
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2003 09:20 PM      Profile for William Leland III   Author's Homepage   Email William Leland III   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, I work at the Charleston IMAX and our booth has a De-Humidity control.

In Charleston,S.C we have a 90% humidity in the summer time or higher. I can relate to your problems with keeping the humidity in the 50 - 60% range. Right now it is at 49.

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2003 09:46 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
William,
So you have a de-humidifier, do you also have a humidifier for say, December or January. Here in Pennsylvania my booth is running anywhere from 30% - 40% RH during those months. I know thats a little on the low side, but I'm aprehensive to start up any humidifiers because I don't want to corrode any circuitry by adding excess moisture into the air.

Also, maybe John Hawkinson could help here, I know you can get humidifiers for home furnace units, but what about HVAC units ( I apologize, since I don't know much about the mechanics behind HVAC).

One last point about 60% RH as being the high end of the optimum range: Everytime my hygrometer is pushing that percentage, I've got bulges on these prints like you wont belive, and I'm being extra vigil for brainwraps because I know there coming. [Frown]

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 03-22-2003 10:38 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, Aaron, out of my depth.

--jhawk

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-22-2003 10:58 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would dream of having our booth as high as 49% most of the time it is 22 or less [Mad]

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2003 11:02 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon,
How about in the summer? Your only 150 miles due north of me.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 03-22-2003 11:21 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the summer when I'm another 100 miles due north of Gord I have a hell of a time keeping 50%RH due to the booth air conditioning. The hotter (and more humid) it gets outside the harder it is to keep the humidity up in the booth.

At the same time, some of the other theatres I work at (with little for air conditioning) have no problem keeping 100%RH. [Frown] The 110 degree booth temperatures aren't great either.

The rest of the year it's a losing battle no matter what we do.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 03-23-2003 12:49 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have one of our theatres enviromently controlled by the HVAC system, and we keep the auditorium and booth temperatures about 70 to 72. I don't know what the RH is, but it must be ok. We never had anyone complain about uncomfortable temperatures in the auditoriums. And I have not seen any adverse effects of excessive or not enough humidity in the booth.

Of course, we don't have the extreme temperature swings that other locations have, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Rick Stowell
Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2003 09:13 AM      Profile for Rick Stowell   Email Rick Stowell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To William's original question: We have sensors in each auditorium between the front row and the screen. The actual thermostat and the readout are in the booth.

We have a minimum of 2 degrees range, so we've learned over the years to set them at 71 to 73 degrees, winter or summer.

Question: When we built 9 years ago, we were told that sound travels through the ducts, so each auditorium has a separate HVAC unit, as well as the lobby. Is this accurate information?

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 03-23-2003 04:47 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
When we built 9 years ago, we were told that sound travels through the ducts, so each auditorium has a separate HVAC unit, as well as the lobby. Is this accurate information?
Sound sure can travel between theatres through ductwork.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: