Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Baffle Walls - Need them or Not? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Baffle Walls - Need them or Not?
William Bunch
Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2003 07:56 PM      Profile for William Bunch   Author's Homepage   Email William Bunch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have searched the history threads here on the subject of baffle walls and only find the term mentioned indirectly with speaker topics.

My question is: Does a baffle wall offer significant improvement in sound dispersal/fidelity or is it a nice-to-have in only really LARGE auditoriums?

I will be rebuilding one of our older military theaters soon. New projector, new processing, all new JBL speakers along with a new screen. Now is the chance to add any extras that can set us apart from the others.

The building is constructed of all wood. Acoustics are good and the only hard surface is under the seating. There is a sloped floor (not stadium) with 500 seats. Room is a little wider than the screen is wide. Screen is on a stage made of hardwood flooring and is 16 x 35 ft. There is about 10 feet of blank space behind the screen and then a blank wall. Lots of border and bracket curtains. This room is often used for briefings and such but never for theatrical so the screen and speakers never move.

I could easily afford the labor and building materials. Is this an effort worth having or not?

Thanks a BuncH

Bill BuncH
Misawa, Japan

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-23-2003 08:26 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The baffle wall effectively increases the radiating area of the speaker extending the lowfrequency response
It also stops secondary sound reflections from the back of the screen reducing the loss of inteligablity of dialogue

William Bunch
Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2003 08:30 PM      Profile for William Bunch   Author's Homepage   Email William Bunch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I forgot to mention that my screen channels will be comprised of JBL 4632T speaker arrays.

Bill BuncH
Misawa, Japan

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 03-23-2003 08:31 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree Gordon, I always push to use baffle walls in all installations. Be sure to put sound-absorbing material on the wall as well as the speaker boxes. Ummmm...Don't cover the radiators!

>>> Phil

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-23-2003 11:23 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Baffle walls make a huge difference, but be sure to build them to THX standards or better. Building to less than their specs may get you more bad results than more good. Stick with the reccomended baffle wall acoustic covering too. There is a big difference in available coverings there. Just because its black doesn't mean it will work appropriately. Use of good quality acoustic panels or acoustic treatment of some sort for the auditorium is also a very necessary item. The back wall is the most important and usually requires at least double the thickness, or more, of the side wall coverings...assuming you're doing an average auditorium.....
Mark @ CLACO

P.S. I forgot to mention that doing all of this the right way is VERY expensive....just to prepare you.....

William Bunch
Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2003 11:52 PM      Profile for William Bunch   Author's Homepage   Email William Bunch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where would a person find a list of materials that would be considered suitable acoustical surface material for the baffle wall? If you are talking low or high density fiberglass wool then, I can get that readily here.

The wall itself would not be a major cost for me but when you start talking about covering the building itself then that would be prohibitive since the building does not belong to my company. Only the projectors, screen and sound system are in my control. (It's a government/military thing)

Could I build a decent wall only and reap a significant benefit?

Did I forget to mention that the screen is slightly curved? That should not be a major finding, right?

Thanks for your inputs! I'll digest any and all.

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2003 03:45 AM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A question about baffle:

Reflections: If I have no sound wall but I put the sound treatment stuff on the back wall (that is, say, 2 meters behind the screen) shouldn't I have the same result?

Bass frequencies: If I correctly understood put the, say, subwoofer against a wall increase the SPL response because since bass frequencies are omnidirectional, I take advantage of the rear emission without having them out of phase in the seating area. Right?

But if I put the subwoofers on a sound wall, what is the end of the bass frequencies that come from the rear of the speakers? They're trapped in the wall-soundwall space and not useful?
I'm sure that I didn't understand something! [Smile]

Bye
Antonio

Darren Briggs
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2003 06:51 AM      Profile for Darren Briggs   Author's Homepage   Email Darren Briggs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
THX mentioned the introduction of a Bafflete, which just goes around the speaker array, this is a cheaper way of doing things, probably to try get the cost of installing THX cheaper?? Ill try dig out some more details on it.

Darren

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-24-2003 08:36 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The baffelet design requires a cross over that does bass management like the new THX one

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-24-2003 08:37 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Consider using the JBL 4675C/4LF (or 8LF if want) over the 4632. To my ears, the 4675 is significantly better. If you want a 3-way, look towards the JBL 5000 series.

Steve

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-24-2003 09:26 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whoa, I missed that he was going to use the Screen Dissaray speakers.......Definately go with Steve's reccomendation.....it will be ALOT better overall!!
Mark

Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2003 10:36 AM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm about to do something to my front in Screen #1 this summer, too. For my only 88 seats, and from what i read in brochures, i believe JBL 3632T would be a top-investment, together with a baffle-wall. -Any of You familiar with this particular model ?
As far as i understand, the 3632 can be ran bi as well as tri coupled. -Just how big a plus will the expense for extra amps and wiring give...?
I have enjoyed those great pictures from the Film-Tech Screening room. This must be exactly to do it right, i guess - but the THX specs, Mark is mentioning -- can they be seen anywhere without being THX custumer ? -And anything else on print about the proper bafflewall installation ??

Thanks for any advise on this.

Per

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 03-24-2003 10:38 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's a formerly-THX-certified theatre here in Eugene that uses the bafflette (sp?) design. From a listener's perspective, the results seem to be very good, and low-end articulation is excellent. (Happens to be EV speakers though.)

Darren Briggs
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2003 01:00 PM      Profile for Darren Briggs   Author's Homepage   Email Darren Briggs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I Can highly recomend Martin Audio systems

Darren

William Bunch
Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2003 06:23 PM      Profile for William Bunch   Author's Homepage   Email William Bunch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, Too late. Already locked into the JBL 4632T with SST modules. Just unloaded the truck last week. Only took ten months to get here. Guess I'll just have to make them work somehow. Anything will be an improvement over what we have existing.

Does anyone remember the Jim Lansing Ampex theater speaker Model 5050? That unit used what could be called a "bafflette". It was a small 2x4 and plywood wall that surrounded the entire enclosure. This speaker system is still in use in some of our older theaters running mono. My shipping documents say they were shipped over here around 1954. This is a horn reflex type box. Many twists and turns. A small person can actually sit inside the port. But they better have hearing protection.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: