Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Age of CinemaScope Lenses

Author Topic: Age of CinemaScope Lenses
Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 03-23-2003 11:50 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How old are Bausch & Lomb CinemaScope I with the red ring anamorphic lenses? How good/bad are they compared to todays equivalent.

|  IP: Logged

Matt Hale
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2003 12:03 AM      Profile for Matt Hale   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Hale   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the ones you have are anything like the ones I have, I believe they are the original CinemaScope adapters (not a complete lens) from the 50s. The general consensus seems to be that modern scope lenses are better (not to mention lighter!) and do not seem to have the yellowing problem that the older B&Ls had. Check out The Widescreen Museum for a history of CinemaScope and its lenses.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 03-24-2003 02:13 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On most if not all of the B&L anamorphics if you look closely inside the front element along the edge you should find the manufacture date stamped on the inside of the barrel near the front element.

These lenses were assembled with optical cement between elements. By now the vast majority of them have had that cement turn yellow casting a yellowish tint to the light passing thru it. It's easy to check the amount of yellowing by looking thru the lens at a known pure white object, light, or wall.

Compared to modern anamorphics, the B&Ls are heavier and even with totally clear optics don't pass as much light as the current anamorphics out there.

-Aaron

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2003 12:15 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The "red" ringed ones were the older lenses. The silver ring ones are slightly newer, and of better quality. Neither is up to todays standards, although a "silver ring" B&L in good condition will put out a nice picture.

/Mitchell

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-24-2003 12:20 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a silver-ring one which is dated 1956. It makes an excellent paperweight.

Are all of the red-ring lenses older than this?

The B&L lenses that I've seen vary widely in quality. Some put out a great picture (not comprable with the latest ISCO or Schneider lenses, but still really good) and some are godawful. We had a really crappy pair at the Williamsburg Theatre (now replaced with ISCO Blue-Stars, I think). The Columbus Theatre has a very good pair, as does the Avon Cinema (the other art house in Providence, RI).

Darren Briggs
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2003 12:57 PM      Profile for Darren Briggs   Author's Homepage   Email Darren Briggs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ive got a RED ring lens which is serial No DR2756, but can't see a date marked on it any where. On the outside it says Projector Attechment II

Darren

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 03-24-2003 01:15 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cemented elements were also more prone to heat damage. Compare both the color and sharpness across the screen using the SMPTE 35-PA (RP 40) test film. Use a print with a full range of colors and tones to see how much the old lens degrades contrast compared to a modern anamorphic lens.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: