Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Christie Platter wont build up

Author Topic: Christie Platter wont build up
John Westlund
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2003 09:56 PM      Profile for John Westlund   Email John Westlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tonight I was going to build a print during the show. The top platter was not in use so I went to start building up and the platter wouldnt spin. The make-up table will work in take down but when I switch to buildup nothing happens. The platter feels like it doesnt have much tension on it even when I switch to make up. Its almost like it wont switch out of take down. I wasnt able to try the other decks because there is a show running on them.

|  IP: Logged

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 03-25-2003 10:00 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did you press the white button on the side of the tree?

Have you tried to use another make up table? (If you have one.)

John Westlund
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2003 10:05 PM      Profile for John Westlund   Email John Westlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yea, the button IS pushed in [Wink] . Only have 1 make up table though.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 03-25-2003 10:08 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Re-seat the plug from the MUT to the tree.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-25-2003 10:55 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I am assuming this is a single screen with one platter and one MUT, right? That always makes troubleshooting more difficult.

You need to figure out if it will load to the other decks before we continue troubleshooting. Do check the following before you report back.

Makeup button is pressed in on the tree and MUT switches are "makeup" and "on".

Jiggle the cord into the platter tree with the speed turned about half. These don't make the best connections in the world as they get used and worn.

And of course, try all 3 decks. If none of these "easy" checks works, then you probably need to change out the speed control. This is very easy, just write down the way it is wired up now (they are color coded) and put a new one in.

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2003 11:07 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just for my information a platter and a MUT (Make Up Table?) interface together? I further surmize that this is how you load/unload a platter during makeup/teardown operations.I assume if I was to buy a platter (see other post) I would need to buy a MUT as well.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 03-25-2003 11:29 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, typically the MUT plugs into the platter and when making up a film you operate that deck from the MUT's Variac.

Platters are available for sale sans MUT. With a booth serving multiple screens it's common not to purchase a MUT for every platter since the MUTs are portable and there are only so many makeup or breakdown operations or the staff to perform them going on at one time.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 03-25-2003 11:32 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I chatted with John...we found the problem. Loose wire in the plug.

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2003 11:34 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not to take away from the topics subject but what type of connection is involved? Molex or what? Molex plugs loose spring tension after a while and you have to go in and squeeze the females back together.
Back to the subject.

John Westlund
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2003 11:40 PM      Profile for John Westlund   Email John Westlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for helpin me find that problem Paul. Its just a loose wire in the plug coming from the table.

Sam
Its not a molex connector, but something else (jones plug perhaps). In any event it looks like this.

- - -
- - -

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2003 11:50 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, that looks like a Jones plug.
Glad you got it going John.
Later.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 03-26-2003 12:29 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, your new signature inspired me.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: