Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » ?? About Adjustments on scope lenses

Author Topic: ?? About Adjustments on scope lenses
Don Bruechert
Mmmmmmmmm, bird!

- posted 03-26-2003 09:21 AM      Profile for Don Bruechert   Author's Homepage   Email Don Bruechert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In one of our houses, which has a really short throw to the screen and a rather steep angle, we get a really trapeziodal picture when we project scope. I see there are several adjustments on the lens and I am wondering (without messing with them) if any of these adjustments can compensate for this trapezoidal effect. The adjustments appear to be locked off with a set screw so they can't be accidentally changed, so I am assuming they are not meant to be changed. Based on my camera experience I know that the projection angle will have a lot to do with the amount of trapezoidal effect, but in the camera world we have shift lenses which can adjust for it somewhat. Knowing nothing about projection lenses, I am not sure if there is a similar adjustment, or is it just focus and zoom??? Thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-26-2003 09:26 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That distortion is usually reffered to as keystone distortion.
Non of the adjustments on your lens normally correct for that but one can get special lens mount collars to correct some of it but at a great loss of light

Christopher Seo
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2003 10:45 AM      Profile for Christopher Seo   Email Christopher Seo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don,

Are you referring to "swing and tilt" type camera lenses? Is there an exposure compensation necessary based on the severity of the angle off axis?

Gordon,

Would realignment of the lamphouse improve the light output after setting up one of the keystone correction lens collars?

Kris Brunton
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2003 11:40 AM      Profile for Kris Brunton   Email Kris Brunton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The adjustment on the front of the anamorphic lens is for feild of depth adjustments.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 03-26-2003 12:58 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to a manufacturer's rep in ShoWest last year, a lense bushing/collar assy that has a correction adjustment for keystone worked fine for flat lens, but not for a scope lens.

I cannot recall what manufacturer had that bushing.

Don Bruechert
Mmmmmmmmm, bird!

- posted 03-26-2003 01:08 PM      Profile for Don Bruechert   Author's Homepage   Email Don Bruechert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Swing and tilt would refer to large format cameras. In the small format I believe the lens is referred to as a shift lens. I rented one once many moons ago to correct distortion caused by a wide angle lens in architectural photos, where the tops of buildings tend to lean in and stuff.... I thought this might just be a simple fix... I guess not [Smile]

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 03-26-2003 02:49 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The adjustment on the front of the anamorphic lens is for feild of depth adjustments.

Actually, it adjusts the astigmatism of the lens -- bringing both horizontal and vertical detail into focus together.

See "Focusing Anamorphics" in the Film-Tech "Tips" section.

Schneider makes a "Keystone Corrector":

http://www.schneideroptics.com/projection/cinema_projection/keystone_corrector/

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 03-26-2003 08:15 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John, it was Schneider. When I saw that thing, I was ready to jump all over it because of what it was supposed to do. But the rep told me I was wasting my money if I wanted to use it for cinemascope.

Maybe they overcame that obstacle. Jeeze, that would be great if they did. [Smile]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-27-2003 02:04 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember Steve Guttag mentioning this Schneider lens mount to me. I never did follow up on it. I am very interested in seeing what it can correct for and if the benefits outweigh the disadvantages (if any).

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-27-2003 06:35 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The lens shifter or PC-Cine adapters as both Schneider and ISCO refer to them will do very well at keystone correcting...up to the point where you vignette the entrance pupil of the lens. For anamorphic applications, often the exiting portion of the lens will be the limiting factor.

There is no free in this world though...if you do correct for the keystone using a PC-Cine adapter, you will introduce linearity distortion which, in my opinion, is far less objectionable.

Since I do many 2-projector booths and most of them have 4-5 formats each, PC-Cine adapters are essential if you want all of the images to be centered on the screen for all formats and with minimal to zero keystone distortion.

Some projectors, like the Century have merely a lateral shifter built right in (only on the single lens machine). With a lens turret, you can often also achieve the benefits of what a dedicated PC-Cine adapter would have accomplished.

As for anamorphics with PC-Cine adapters...you can certainly use them it is just a whole lot more difficult. Since rotation is a part of setting up all of the PC-Cine adapters I have worked with (ISCO and Schneider)...adding the Anamorphic rotating into the mix is a big pain in the butt. Schneider's new PC-Cine adapter makes it much easier though it costs as much as a Schneider prime lens.

If you are doing special venue, you should definately look into PC-Cine adapters.

Steve

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: