Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Super 35 Assistance Needed

Author Topic: Super 35 Assistance Needed
Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 03-26-2003 10:13 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all! [Smile]

Its film festival season here again, and this time I am having to screen two 'raw' (pre-squeeze) Super 35 answer prints (the prints will be struck with Dolby Digital soundtracks to avoid any double-system headaches).

My question is concerning cutting an aperture plate for this format. SMPTE RP40 doesn't have the cutting templates marked for raw Super 35 (and RP40 figures the optical track area into its framing, which I won't need). Is there a test film out there that I can use as a template for cutting a plate? Or must I use trial and error until it looks right?

Thanks in Advance!

-Aaron

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-26-2003 10:14 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Boston Light I think ahs one

Rick Long Jr
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2003 10:37 PM      Profile for Rick Long Jr   Email Rick Long Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I did it for 8 Mile, the studio provided me with a loop. Perhaps they could for you if you ask them?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-26-2003 10:45 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aaron,
Call me at work tommrrow morning with your address and such. I've done countless Super 35 dailies jobs and I have a gob of Super 35 target loops. Would be happy to share one with you.
Mark @ CLACO
801-355-1250

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 03-27-2003 08:26 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The EBU also has a Super-35 test film:

http://www.bksts.com/pdfs/testflm.pdf

D.E.L. also has a Super-35 target:

http://www.broadcastpapers.com/telecine/16x9_setup.doc

And custom targets are sometimes made for a production:

http://www.cinephoto.co.uk/misc_film_16.htm

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 03-27-2003 10:18 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dolby Digital without an analog optical track for backup? That's working without a net!

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 03-27-2003 10:28 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had a few prints in that format come through here like that.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 03-27-2003 10:57 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For an direct "EK" Super-35 festival print, the normal quad-format sound negative could be printed along with the Super-35 picture negative, using the full width picture aperture and the analog soundhead light off, giving a Super-35 print with only Dolby Digital and/or SDDS tracks. As Steve notes, there's no "safety net" if the digital defaults.

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 03-27-2003 07:58 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
provided the print was timed correctly and such, there should not be a reliability issue at all. At home to save my exciters, I just turn off the exciter supply and run digital only. very rarely will it drop out.

Josh

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-27-2003 09:42 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I service a couple of theaters without optical sound. The SRD doesn't fail. This is really not that big of an issue. When I run movies in the screening room, I don't even turn on the breaker that powers the leds for the analog pickup. (I also tend to only bother threading up the SRD.)

Usually the production will provide you with a Super 35 loop for alignment. The filmmakers generally like to see it for a few seconds before they start viewing any of their dailies. Be careful of your lamp alignment. You'll be squeezing every ounce of light that you can and your lamphouse will be off center optically if you do not realign things for the Super 35 setup.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: