Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » RCA 9030 Gearbox Assembly

Author Topic: RCA 9030 Gearbox Assembly
Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 03-27-2003 06:35 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm rebuilding a pair of 9030s, my first time inside these gearboxes. On disassembling the first gearbox, I noticed the blank bearing cover opposite the motor shaft is galled from contact with the spiral gear shaft end.
Now that it's clean and going back together, the spiral gear shaft has about 1mm axial play and rubs on that cover if pushed towards it.
The gearbox has been disassembled before, judging from the screw heads, so I can't guarantee the parts are all original although nothing seems to be missing.
The diagram I have shows a space between the end cap and the bearing - suggesting some sort of spring/spacer or stepped bearing retainer cap but there is no part number for a spring/spacer on the parts diagram and the cap I have is dead flat on the inside (unlike all the others). I would guess that there's just enough room for the spring washer as used on the sprocket shafts to take up the play completely, or a stepped cap would eliminate the shaft contacting the cap.
So... is this end play and wear on the cap normal and I should accept it, has someone substituted a different cap from somewhere (it's pretty similar to an XL drive shaft bearing cap), or am I missing a spring washer?

Diagram to illustrate:

-

|  IP: Logged

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 03-27-2003 07:30 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a spring washer missing. I think it is a 20325 maybe? The gearbox requires two of them. One on the rear end of the pinion shaft, and the other for the CS sprocket shaft and is supposed to be in the non-operating side of the gearbox.

It looks like (the IPB anyway) there is none present on the holdback sprocket shaft.

When assembling the gearbox, make absolutely sure the oil deflectors, spring washers, and spacers are in the right location. The spring washers and oil deflectors can be accidently installed on the wrong side of the gearbox. They can also be accidently installed backwards, and be sure you have the correct spacers on the correct side of the gearbox!

It has been a long time since I tore a 9303 gearbox down, so I can't say for sure if the tangs on the spring washers are supposed to make contact with the outer bearing race or not. I think it is supposed to. Maybe some other old-timers can more accurately address that question.

I edited this for a typo. [Smile]

[ 03-27-2003, 11:48 PM: Message edited by: Paul G. Thompson ]

Bob Koch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2003 08:12 PM      Profile for Bob Koch   Email Bob Koch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A 20325 spring washer should be between the bearing and the blank rear cover. It`s been misassembled or you would`nt have that galling. No "play" fore and aft should exist on this shaft.Another frequently "left out" part is the 27916 spacer on the constant speed sprocket shaft inside the gearbox between the bearing and the 26243 bronze gear, this causes some undesireable "monkey motion" also.

Dick Prather
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2003 09:01 PM      Profile for Dick Prather   Email Dick Prather   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bob,
I couldn't have said it better myself.
Dave
That gearbox uses 3 different oil slingers that must be in the correct place to work properly.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 03-27-2003 09:57 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks... I'll see if I can get another spring. I thought that was what it wanted but the drawing is quite clear on the springs on the CSS and HBS shafts - and indicates no such part in the diagram showing the driven shaft.
I didn't think it should be as found - the gearbox design is rather solid and there isn't anything else sloppy.
The slingers were a bit of a worry - they all looked the same coming out as there was a thick coat of ooze on them, so I didn't make any note of where they belong. Once they were cleaned up I realized my error. Luckily the manual shows which 3 shafts get the same type, and the other 2 only go one way round.
Thanks to Film-Tech for supplying the manual... after washing all the parts, the bench, tools, sink, clothes and me, I wasn't cheery about opening another tar-encrusted unit to see where everything belongs!

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 03-27-2003 11:43 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave, as far as I know, that can be obtained form Wolk through a dealership. I don't think (but I could be wrong) Wolk will sell direct.

John Anastasio
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-28-2003 04:49 AM      Profile for John Anastasio   Author's Homepage   Email John Anastasio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul is right...Wolk will sell direct. I've purchased items from them, including 9030 parts.

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-28-2003 06:42 AM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought things through Wolk direct but it cost me more than going through a dealer. Maybe they saw me coming.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: