Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » SA-150 Solar cell alignment indicator (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: SA-150 Solar cell alignment indicator
Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 03-31-2003 07:23 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As offered here.
Has anyone worked with this tool?

|  IP: Logged

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2003 10:40 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, I haven't used one, but the unit is made by Eprad.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 03-31-2003 11:18 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The test kit was a simple good fast option instead of dragging an ocilloscope to do the same checks. We used the units we had for field trips out of the USA and to do flutter checks.
Richard Fowler
Kinoton America Inc.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 03-31-2003 03:44 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard, is it just a convenient quick`n dirty tool, or would you say it is a good replacement for an oscilloscope for these purposes? How much actually is it?

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 03-31-2003 05:21 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A very good "quick and dirty" tool and more travel damage resistant than most scopes....not a cure all but a live saver on some jobs. The last ones we purchased where in the $350.00 price range.
Richard Fowler
Kinoton America Inc.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 03-31-2003 10:10 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have one of those -- I will take a picture of it and post it here (possibly tomorrow).

UPDATE -- PICS ARE NOW ON PAGE 2

The Eprad SA-150 is quite small but I don't like it very much as it doesn't allow for precision required in an A-chain alignment which I personally believe is too critical for "quick and dirty" work.

I remember the first time I saw this thing. I was horrified when I realized the installer was going to use it for the primary adjustment. Apparently he ended up selling it to the theatre while I was away.

I'll probably never use it...but I still carry it with me as a backup.

[ 04-02-2003, 05:57 PM: Message edited by: Manny Knowles ]

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 03-31-2003 10:29 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How is it used? Where is it connected?

Manny Knowles

- posted 03-31-2003 10:41 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are two sets of stereo inputs (BNC connectors) giving the user a choice to connect directly to the solar cell or to the processor's test points.

There are buttons for you to engage depending on which test film you are running (crosstalk, buzz track, pink noise). Then there are little lights that tell you if you are "over" or "under" and you fiddle until you get a balanced display (left and right).

The indicators are a lot like the Dolby Tone lights in some Dolby processors.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-01-2003 10:12 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The thing works but it is sort of like having a seperate scope and RTA that can't be connected at the same time
the flutter option is very handy

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 04-01-2003 12:27 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So it would be handy not for complete alignment, but for a quick effective check to track down problems?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-01-2003 02:37 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have done complete alingment with them when the scope has been lost in airline baggage hell

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 04-01-2003 03:15 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did they find it later and returned it to you?

Manny Knowles

- posted 04-01-2003 03:59 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael that question is OFF TOPIC and you of all people ought to know better.

Please start another thread if you want to discuss lost luggage with Gordon.

[Big Grin]

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 04-01-2003 04:49 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am the master of off topic questions and comments completely unrelated to the actual subject, Manny.
To return to the topic, where are the pictures you promised?

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 04-02-2003 12:07 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Manny, you're allowed to go off topic in any forum but 'Reviews' and 'Print Info'. So there! [Razz]

That said, the airlines know that if they lose Gord's luggage for any extended period of time that he'll let his cat loose on them. [Smile]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: