Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » If that's a DP 75....

Author Topic: If that's a DP 75....
Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-01-2003 04:46 PM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
About those nice pictures from the Rialto:
If that's a DP 75, You may call me Brad !
Isn't that a MPU just above the 650, by the way ?
Maybe the Rolls hasn't allways just been running trailers.
A story to tell about the Rialto, maybe...
Come on, please !

Per

|  IP: Logged

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 04-01-2003 06:27 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
I just cut and paste the captions. Wasn't looking at the photos at the same time. Did I screw something up? Ian?

(goes to look at photos)

Oops. That's a DP-70. Shame on Ian. [Smile]

But the question remains ... Did Mr. Price stand on top of it?

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 04-01-2003 07:22 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why would they need both a platter and a tower in addition to changeover capability? I would think that the platter would be useful for long runs of the same feature and that the changeover setup (even though the machines aren't identical) would be useful for one-off shows and festivals. When do they use the tower and why? Since they already have the platter,wouldn't it be gentler on the film and more convenient for regular use?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-01-2003 07:58 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Per, like Adam said, we don't write the captions. We just copy whatever the person sending them in wrote. Indeed that is not a DP75. This is all Ian's fault. Someone should stand on him.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-01-2003 10:55 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would take more than one of use to "stand on him"

Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-02-2003 03:50 AM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe You should let Ian and the Platter change place for the next video... - Othervise, i volunteer without hesitation.
Being of same weight-class, it just might do some kind of im[press]ion on the sinner !
If Ian has been standing on the projector, i suppose, there will be a video from the occasion soon. Let it come to us together with that story of the Rialto. -Was the DP there for the REEL thing once ?

"Need" may be a large word for it - but i do have tower AND platter and two DP 70. (belt and braces [Big Grin] ) -The explanation is, that i often run 5-6 different prints a day for long periods, and have no space vacant for proper storage of prints, not sitting on the platter.
A second explanation is, that the german "Hasso" tower got here allready in 1977 (first film jan., 30th: 35 mag "Fiddler on the Roof"), and i do not throw things away, just because they're old, if i can keep them going. Therefore, the tower stayed, when the platter arrived, even if i may look as overkill. Third explanation: The door left useable after the platter went in, is so narrow, that it takes plenty of jelly on the sides for me to get in and out. The tower should be scrapped and taken out in small pieces.
This may not entirely but almost appear in the malling bio photos in the warehouse. At least, its obvious that there is not much space left. Allways enough room for a fellow projectionist, though - even the one and only Mr Price !
Maybe that would be the next try for a record - outdating the cabin scene of "A Night at the Opera" - Ian Price and Per and how many others in the booth of Malling Bio at the same time??? [Eek!] -As someone mentioned somewhere: vacation subjects wanted. Maybe Europe next time..?
There is always room for one more, You know ! [thumbsup]

p

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 04-02-2003 05:27 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott wrote:

quote:

Why would they need both a platter and a tower in addition to changeover capability? I would think that the platter would be useful for long runs of the same feature and that the changeover setup (even though the machines aren't identical) would be useful for one-off shows and festivals. When do they use the tower and why? Since they already have the platter,wouldn't it be gentler on the film and more convenient for regular use?

Until its most recent refurb a few years ago, the Odeon Leicester Square had three Vic. 8s with 6000 foot spools, a Cinemeccanaica tower, and a platter of some sort. The tower had been there since the days of the previous machines, Vic. Xs.

When I visited the place features were being run on the tower, and adverts, trailers etc. on 6k spools.

During the refurb new projectors were installed, which can run large (tower type) spools on the machine itself, both spools on the base, and overlapping each other, and I think the tower has gone. Three projector were again installed, which has always been the case with each set of equipment since the place opened in 1937, except for a short period when it had five, including two Kalee Vistavision machines. It also had an Eidophor for some years, and now has a DLP system, but I don't know how much this is used.

I have seen several photographs of the Odeon setup, and none show the platter in use. Maybe they would use it for 70mm, I don't think the overlapping spools arrangement can take 70, but they haven't run 70mm for several years.

Another possibility is that they use the platter for making up prints for the five small screens which have been built in a former alleyway which ran alongside the main theatre, I read somewhere that the prints for these screens are made up in the main projection box, but I don't know if they run platters.

The Pictureville, Bradford also has both platter and large spools, but again base mounted, not on a tower.

Darren Briggs
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-02-2003 03:44 PM      Profile for Darren Briggs   Author's Homepage   Email Darren Briggs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Odeon uses the spools for most shows but have a 35/70 christie platter too which has to be used for long films like Harry Potter as the spools cant take the length.
Nigel the chief there is a very friendly chap and would show anyone form here around im sure if you were in london.

Darren

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 04-03-2003 03:37 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
When I visited the place features were being run on the tower, and adverts, trailers etc. on 6k spools.
So they show an hour of adverts and trailers?! The last I saw a film there the adverts alone ran for 20 minutes or so, which I thought was insultingly long. You pay a lot more to see a film in the West End, therefore you should have less crap inflicted on you at the start, IMHO.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 04-07-2003 04:06 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Darren wrote:

quote:

Nigel the chief there is a very friendly chap and would show anyone form here around im sure if you were in london.

Nigel Wolland, he's still there then. He wasn't there the day I visited the place some years ago, but I have met him a couple of times in other places. Nice chap.

Leo wrote:

quote:

So they show an hour of adverts and trailers?!

No Leo, about 15 minutes of film, but mounted on a 6k spool, rather than a tower spool, or platter. Many independant single screen places with only a single projector also run the ads and trailers this way, while the feature is rewinding on the tower. It also makes it very easy to add or remove a trailer if nnecessary, between shows.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: