Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Basic DTS problems

Author Topic: Basic DTS problems
Patrick McDonough
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2003 08:48 AM      Profile for Patrick McDonough   Email Patrick McDonough   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I ran basic two shows last night and the DTS system cut off twice during the movie, has this happened to any one else, I only ask because of the mis coding that has been happening.

|  IP: Logged

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 04-03-2003 10:00 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
funny when I read the header topic I thought you wanted to know the basic problems associated with DTS systems.

What you need to determin is if the timecode is cutting in and out for longer than 4 seconds. If timecode is running fine and you are having problems with the DTS dropping out then It may be a disc problem. If timecode is dropping out on a certain reel have that reel replaced. It will not cost you anything and will allow then next guy to have no DTS problems.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 04-03-2003 10:11 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Being a technical issue, shouldn't this be in "Film Handlers Forum"?

Don Bruechert
Mmmmmmmmm, bird!

- posted 04-03-2003 10:43 AM      Profile for Don Bruechert   Author's Homepage   Email Don Bruechert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm running Basic in DTS and I screened it Friday night and didn't hear any anomalies in the audio.

Don Sneed
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2003 07:47 PM      Profile for Don Sneed   Author's Homepage   Email Don Sneed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One important thing I found lately with the DTS-6AD, is to connect the black ground wire (that is not connected under the black heat shrink) remove from under heat shrink & connect to the reader....this has been solving alot of problems of drop outs for me...

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-07-2003 07:19 PM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What model DTS unit?

You need to find out if it is a disc/drive problem or a timecode problem. If the TIMECODE light blinks a lot = that's a sign that there are timecode reading problems.

Move the discs around to different drives in the unit. See if the problem follows the drive or the disc.

Karen at DTS
khultgren@dtsonline.com

Manuel Francisco Valencia
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-10-2003 12:07 AM      Profile for Manuel Francisco Valencia   Email Manuel Francisco Valencia   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Patrick
Is the system light still blinking or does it go solid? If it goes solid you might want to check the power supply.

Patrick McDonough
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-10-2003 08:43 AM      Profile for Patrick McDonough   Email Patrick McDonough   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We figured the problem was dirty disks [Eek!] We put a clean on them and that cleared up the problem.

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-14-2003 04:27 PM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Partick,

You need to find out where the problem lies.

Watch what the TIMECODE light does when the film is run. The TIMECODE light must be on bright and steady when it sees good timecode. If the light flashes or goes in & out, then there is a timecode problem either at the reader or on the film. Let me know if it's a timecode problem.

When the film is running, look at the CD-ROM drives. When discs are running the light on the drives themselves should wink when reading a disc. If the light on the drives comes on solid, that means it cannot read the disc and the unit will drop out. At the same time, the CD-ROM light will go out as well as the DIGITAL light.

If the drives/discs have a problem, move the discs to other drives in the player and watch to see if the problem follows the disc or the drive. If it's a bad disc, then call the film's distribuator and request a replacement disc. If it's a bad drive, then you will need to replace the drive.

Please feel free to send me an email for more details or if you need more help.

Karen at DTS
khultgren@dtsonline.com

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: