Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Is "The Animatrix" in dts?

Author Topic: Is "The Animatrix" in dts?
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-03-2003 08:00 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
This question arose tonight as a theater found out that their reel 1A of "Dreamcatcher" did not run "The Animatrix" in dts, but the rest of the print played fine in dts. I just looked at my dts discs on the computer and there is no extra reel in there, nor does the trailer txt file show anything. It would appear the audio to this was not put on the discs.

Can someone confirm if their dts player is actually playing this in digital?

|  IP: Logged

Tim Turner
Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2003 09:44 PM      Profile for Tim Turner   Email Tim Turner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good question.... I know that Dolby Digital is there, but I never noticed whether or not it worked in DTS. I guess I just assumed it was.

Michael Atkinson
Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2003 09:51 PM      Profile for Michael Atkinson   Email Michael Atkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Can someone confirm if their dts player is actually playing this in digital?

Ours played fined in DTS.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 04-04-2003 01:13 AM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For what it's worth, DTS has a history of counting attached shorts as part of reel 1. For instance, in For The Birds accompanying Monsters, Inc., the DTS soundtrack was the first part of R1T5.AUD on the A disc. My notes suggest that this is particularly odd because the artwork/copy on the A disc doesn't mention the short, though the artwork/copy on the B disc does, despite the fact that the short was on the A disc.

Of course, that case was even weirder. It turns out there were two versions of For The Birds released -- one that was distributed with Monsters, Inc. (booked through BV), as well as a standalone version (bookable as a short through Apollo Cinema, agents of Pixar for short film distribution). The standalone version had a longer/more complete credits roll, and was also in DTS, but didn't have a serial number that matched up with Monsters, Inc.. So if you happened to have the Monsters, Inc. DTS discs and the standalone For The Birds, you couldn't play it in DTS (at least, not without elaborate hackery).

Just taking a trip down memory lane...

--jhawk

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 04-04-2003 01:41 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ours played in DTS.

Patrick McDonough
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2003 08:05 AM      Profile for Patrick McDonough   Email Patrick McDonough   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ours played fine in DTS.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: