Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Notes in film cans (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Notes in film cans
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-05-2003 02:26 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a continuation of the discussion that wandered from here.

Where are you guys putting your notes? I find if they are in the bottom of the film can, they get ignored. Anytime I insert a note I fold the piece of paper in half and slide it in between the roll of film and reel flange of reel 1. A small piece of tape helps to ensure that the next projectionist sees it.

|  IP: Logged

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 04-05-2003 02:50 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just wish that more film editors would refrain from starting/ending reels with fades to/from black. Just nip that problem in the bud and it would solve all of the projection-related problems associated with that.

My note would say:

Attention Filmmaker -- This print was butchered by a minimum-wage projectionist because your well-paid professional film editor is evil and ignorant. Stop and think a while about the reality of what's going to happen to your movie and remember -- that minimum-wage worker always gets final cut.

Jon Miller
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-05-2003 03:14 PM      Profile for Jon Miller   Email Jon Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Manny wrote...
quote:
I just wish that more film editors would refrain from starting/ending reels with fades to/from black. Just nip that problem in the bud and it would solve all of the projection-related problems associated with that.

That documentary was shot and edited on video with television broadcast in mind (hence the fades), then transferred to 35mm for festival screenings and other kinds of theatrical exhibition. I guess we have to give the editor the benefit of a doubt this time. [Smile]

Brad, IIRC, I stuck the note between the reels. Stuffing the note inside the reel flange sounds like a good idea, though.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 04-05-2003 03:48 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Taped to the inside of the top of the reel can seems to work well. It jumps right at you.

Other than that, either between the reel flange and the film of
R1, or perhaps better is folded in an arc from the either side of the film between the flanges...so it cannot be missed.

--jhawk

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 04-05-2003 07:00 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As a separate thing I was also thinking it might be entertaining to do a sort of message-in-a-bottle kind of thing where you ask the person encountering the note to log on to some site (presuming they have net access) and post where they encountered the print. For the typical big studio release it wouldn't be that interesting but on a smaller art film that travels widely it could be fun.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-05-2003 08:08 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even more interesting was considering the recycling of cases what title was in the case

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 04-05-2003 08:35 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like to remove the excess labeling crap from cans when possible and often one encounters some interesting old labels. (I also try to apply nice new labels to those cans that need them.) I know I saw a Railway Express Agency label on one of the old heavyweight cans.

Chris Markiewicz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-05-2003 09:55 PM      Profile for Chris Markiewicz   Email Chris Markiewicz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen several paper label IATSE local election ads inside the lids of the old cans...from all over the country and dating back to the 1940s. Even after 50-odd years of shipping and TES those cans are still intact! Of course, hauling those old 4-reel cans upstairs is lots of fun.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 04-05-2003 10:50 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never received a print containing any sort of note from a previous theatre (filmmakers' personal prints at festivals and stuff written on leaders don't count), although I have sent out a number of prints with detailed notes (usually along the lines of "this print is in bad condition...here's what's wrong...not our fault...probably should request a replacement"). I have used Brad's method of sticking the folded piece of paper in the first reel (between the film and the reel flange). If I don't have much to say, I'll sometimes write a quick note on the leader instead of writing it on a separate piece of paper.

Stickers on film can lids aren't that rare. The old union ones are fun, as are the Will Rogers "save copper drippings" ads. (So, um, where do I send the copper?) I also like the older cans that have studio names stamped on the outside; I've seen Technicolor-orange cans that have "RKO" stamped into the metal...

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 04-06-2003 01:09 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Film editors were actually taught to do that in order to minimise the chances of a botched changeover, and if the changeover is botched, to minimise its on-screen impact. Both Edward Dmytryk's and Karel Reisz's books on film editing (which, in updated editions, are still standard texts in film schools) contain this instruction.

Personally I agree - it's out of date. As the vast majority of cinemas use a long-play system now, I'd suggest that editors should be taught, where possible, to place reel ends during a dark scene (in order to minimise the impact of dirty reel-ends) but not such a dark scene that a projectionist is likely to have trouble identifying the frame line.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 04-06-2003 01:24 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the topic of "where to put reel changes," I'd add that they should be at scene changes (not just cuts within the same scene) and that there should be no significant action or dialogue after the second cue mark or within the first few frames of each reel, in order to avoid problems with frame loss due to mis-timed changeovers or missing frames due to incompetent booth monkeys. Obviously, no music should carry across a reel change ("Dare Devil" is the most recent offender of this, although there are many other such films, both old and new).

I have no problem with reel changes at fadeouts/fadeins, as long as the cue marks are easily visible and as long as the framelines are marked on the the leaders, and this is common on older titles from the 1930s and 1940s, especially. I wouldn't recommend that editors do this now, though, due to the possibility of careless platter/large-reel makeup.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 04-06-2003 01:31 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm willing to bet that part of the problem is that more and more film editors today have little or no contact with the film anymore and, thus, have lost touch wtih the notion that the film will have to be broken down for shipping and then reconstituted in the theatre.

Hollywood folks surely seem to be out of touch with the reality that it's going to be a teenager who may or may not be passionate about the job -- and, even if s/he is, there's never a guarantee that the theatre s/he works for will nurture or inspire any passion.

I wonder if a note from another projectionist would get read. I hate to be all negative and stuff but my bet is that the note would get tossed along with all the other notes that come in from the studios.

There have been waves of "note mania" in the past and I remember a lot of those going straight into the trash. I haven't seen any "TAP" notices lately, but those used to be pages and pages. And then there were all those flyers that used to come in saying which trailer goes where. So many projectionists I knew just totally ignored those -- partially, because they were working for a chain that dictated where the trailers would go.

The last note that I personally saw was ridiculous -- it accompanied "The Scorpion King" and it said that The Rock (!) wanted me to do this and that to make sure that we gave the best presentation. I didn't know he cared! Right into the trash...

Oh, no! THAT wasn't the last note I saw...

The last note I saw was a reminder to return DTS discs with movies. Well it's really no wonder that those things never make it back into the canisters: after all, they don't ARRIVE with the movie. But that's a whole other issue.

My point is that if part of the movie is getting left behind, what chance does a note have?

...and, besides, a note from another projectionist is at risk of coming across as being a little preachy

Let's play a game! This one's called devil's advocate. I'll be playing the role of a 17 year old who thought it'd be cool to work in a movie theatre for free admission. This particular worker couldn't wait to get into the booth for two important reasons. First and foremost, he wouldn't have to suffer the humiliation of actually being seen (and heckled) by his friends when they come to see a movie. Second, he figures that projectionists have a pretty kick-back job. "It's all automatic."

So this is the guy who's most likely to get a well-intentioned note and here's how I imagine the episode will play out...

quote:
If you are the first user to build this print to a platter or big reels you may leave a single frame on with the leaders to assure correct reel identity in the future. But NEVER more than one. DO NOT cut off fades when you have difficulty finding the frame line. Take the trouble to find it so you can present the movie the director intended!
Oh? I may leave one frame? Since when do I need permission? And what's all this about NEVER more than one? We'll just see about that -- here go FOUR reference frames. The note suddenly becomes impotent and, in an odd twist, the inspiration to do a bad job out of pure spite.

And since when are we all buddy-buddy with the director? If he cared so much, he'd pay me well to run the movies and leave the theatre folks to sell the popcorn.

quote:
If this print has previously been built please open the existing splice and DO NOT MAKE A NEW CUT! Peel the old tape.
Use quality splicing tape that peels cleanly with no residue.
Clear splicing tape will give your audience the best possible presentation.

Hey, I only work here! But okay, since you insist, I will go into the supply cabinet and bust out that roll of quality splicing tape that I've been saving for just this occasion. This projectionist is stuck with what his management orders. He doesn't have the option to go get some good tape. Nor does he have the inclination. Especially if this is Cuba Gooding Jr's latest outing.

quote:
Never put any foreign matter on the film to mark splices. If you have problems finding the splice on breakdown consider marking the diameter of the film pack on the shipping reels before building your print so when you break down the print you can quickly wind the correct amount of film onto the reel before looking for the splice.

Adjust your makeup table rollers correctly so the film does rub on anything that will scratch it including the edge of the platter disk.
When breaking down the print reattach leaders with a one-sided splice using your splicer. The next person can open this splice with a quick twist. Resplicing leaders gives the best protection to the print. NEVER EVER HANG THE LEADERS BACK ON WITH PAPER TAPE! SPLICE THEM!

Here we go with the "N" word again. This segment starts with it and ends with it -- IN CAPS!!!

Here's a tip: never say never.

quote:
If the print came with bands please use them! Don't cut the strings when opening a new print.
You're joking, right!?

quote:
Recheck your threading before starting to make sure the film passes over the various rollers correctly. While running periodically recheck to make sure film is not riding over some roller in a way that will scratch it.

Tweak your focus during the feature. Trailers and other pre-show elements may not focus the same as the feature and lenses may shift in focus as they warm up.

Do keep the print clean. If you have a film cleaner use it regularly.

Did I ever mention how much I despise lists that break things down into "Do's" and "Dont's"? But, since we're going there...here's one to add:

DON'T tell me how to do my job!

quote:
Don't take shortcuts that put the print at risk. It's not worth damaging the print to save a minute here or a few seconds there. Treat the print as though it was your personal copy of your favorite film.
I used to have a favorite film until I started working this crappy gig. Now I hate going to the movies. I got this job because I wanted free movies and now on my day off the last thing I want to do is see a movie.

quote:
Do read http://www.film-tech.com on the Internet to learn more about your craft.
Dude, this is my JOB. This is soooo NOT my craft!

That's honestly what I think would happen.

Don't get me wrong, I totally agree with all the practices that are outlined in the proposed note. That's not the issue I have. I'm more concerned about how a note like that would be interpreted. The tone would have to be pulled waaaay back. Somebody also suggested shortening it down to the most important points. I agree. A long note will either get ignored or become the object of passive-aggressive acts of revenge.

Maybe a simple flyer that says...

"Serious about film presentation? Visit www.film-tech.com "

...would have a greater impact.

Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-06-2003 04:42 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Manny, you have managed to say what I was about to post. These kids either care of they don't. A note telling them how to do their jobs will only make them want to screw it up for their own humor. Also, anything more than about 2 sentences will not be read. Notes in cans are almost like spam emails. You only need to read the title to know if it is spam or not. When I see a note that says "ATTENTION PROJECTIONIST" at the top that is obviously formatted to regard trailers, it goes in the trash without wasting any more of my time. Nowadays though I find myself just leaving the notes in the bottom of the film cans, not even bothering to pull them out to check them. Judging from all of the papers in the bottom of film cans these days, I would suspect I am not the only one. This is why when I need to send a note to the next projectionist, I stick it in between the film roll and reel flange.

BTW, "The Rock" can shove it. When I saw that note it served as a reminder of the godawful sound mixes in the previous Mummy movies, and I went over and programmed the fader down a full notch. (Just like Manny said would happen, except in this case when I screened the movie I ended up turning it down much more because it was so offensive to the ears I knew we would still get complaints.)

Maybe someone like Bobby or Adam could design something we could put in a pdf file for download that could be printed and stuck in the cans?

Gracia L. Babbidge
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2003 06:32 PM      Profile for Gracia L. Babbidge   Author's Homepage   Email Gracia L. Babbidge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I actually kept one note I found in a film can, and have it hanging on my fridge, because I thought it was too funny.
The note in question is the one from Adam Sandler regarding the short film with his dog Meatball. It was just plain amusing.
[Big Grin]

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 04-06-2003 10:42 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The wording and tone can always be adjusted. As for shortening it I tend to think if you're going to shorten it for fear that some will feel too taxed to bother to read it you would end up shortening it down to maybe 3 lines and it's not worth the trouble then. So might as well work in everything that matters. You may find some people reading it just out of boredom. This sort of note is not really going to make a bit of difference to those who could care less (and some of them already know how to do it the right way and choose not to).

But there are some out there who do care and simply never had anyone tell them anything about doing a good job. Such a note is for them.

Now here's an idea: What if we made it into a little comic book? One of our independent papers here in Chicago once did a complete history of the now-shuttered movie palace Uptown Theatre as a comic strip and it was nothing short of brilliant.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: