Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » new Christie platter drive pucks

Author Topic: new Christie platter drive pucks
Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 04-09-2003 09:37 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone else tried out the new (and improved?) black Christie AW3 platter drive pucks? I installed a few of these last week and am just curious to hear if anyone has any comments on them (positive or negative).

These are of a slightly smaller diameter than the cream-colored ones that Christie was selling last year. They seem to not "grip" the platter deck quite as well on startup as the cream-colored ones did, but that doesn't seem to affect performance at all.

|  IP: Logged

Manuel Francisco Valencia
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-10-2003 12:12 AM      Profile for Manuel Francisco Valencia   Email Manuel Francisco Valencia   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have some on order, don't know if they will be the black or cream though. If these things show the first sign of melting PLEASE let us know! I would hate to get another batch of chewing gum.

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-10-2003 09:04 AM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the black one. When brand new, they stick real well.

After a few days of use, the loose the stickiness just because of regular dirt. Just wash in soapy water using your hands to clean the rubber part and let air dry. They will not be original stickiness but good for a few more days.

If you don't have time to wash them adequately, then just spritz on a little alcohol, rub off and it will be good until regular cleaning.

Paul

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-10-2003 01:56 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, are you talking about Bevan-Poos? Scott is referring to the drive wheel that is mounted on the shaft of the motors.

Jon Bartow
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-10-2003 08:42 PM      Profile for Jon Bartow   Email Jon Bartow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have one of my theaters running a trial right now I installed 10 of the black drive wheels from Ed. Wolk on misc platters that see varing amounts of use (i.e. some on platters that get used 10 hours a day and some that only get used once a month. It's been six months and so far no problems with any of them.
Jonathan

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2003 09:20 AM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, I thought Scott was referring to Bevan-Poo's but thought it was strange, in my head, that they were cream color.

I've had the creme one for at least 2-3 years and haven't had to replace any.

Paul

Tal Marks
Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2003 11:11 PM      Profile for Tal Marks   Author's Homepage   Email Tal Marks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI guys. We ordered some replacement pucks for a couple of our platters over a month ago. We were sent a bag of the cream-colored ones with the date 03-03 stamped on them. Should I inquire about getting the black ones? Where do you guys order from?

thanks

-tal

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-12-2003 10:18 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as I know Edw Wolk is the only one that supplies the black ones. Thats the only type we use. They are a bit larger in diameter than the rollers that Brad likes to use, but overall smoothness IS NOT a fair trade off over wear time in my experience. Any of these rollers are expensive, the Wolks are actually a bit less expensive for the customer to replace, and we have AW-3's that are hundreds of miles and several mountain ranges away. We've installed gobs of the Wolk rollers with no problems at all.
Mark

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-12-2003 10:46 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite drive wheel is the Christie black ones, vintage mid 80's. They never wear out and are a much smaller outer diameter which provides a super smooth payout. The new larger ones can be jerky if you don't have things timed properly. I still haven't tried one of the Wolk wheels, but I need to.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 04-12-2003 10:52 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These black ones may well be from Wolk and not Christie, particularly if the Wolk item is cheaper. We ordered them from NCS and specified the Christie part number, but a number of recent orders have been "modified" by either the company's home office or by NCS (I suspect the former), with cheaper items being substituted for what we requested. Somehow, requests for Osram xenon bulbs have resulted in LTI bulbs being delivered; Neumade splicing tape has become Frame-to-Frame tape, quantities of all items have reduced prior to shipment, etc. This may well be a symptom of the same problem.

Hopefully the black drive pucks will last at least as long as the current Christie part.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-13-2003 09:26 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Somehow, requests for Osram xenon bulbs have resulted in LTI bulbs being delivered;"

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-13-2003 10:31 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
maybe better off but that is not what the customer ordered so the dealer is misrepresenting what they sell

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: