Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Peeling tape off dye transfer prints

Author Topic: Peeling tape off dye transfer prints
Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 04-10-2003 08:46 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently had the pleasure of working with an older dye transfer print. While inspecting it I noticed some old splices that were starting to come apart, so I decided to redo them. In doing so, I learned a valuable lesson that some of you probably already know. My question is, are there any tricks to peeling tape off without peeling the dye off with it?

|  IP: Logged

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-10-2003 09:34 AM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tricks? I've made and remade hundreds of tape splices (Neutape) on dye transfer prints and never had the dye layer peel off. I can't remember the proper technical term for the "binder", but it almost sounds as if your print has some problems in that area.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 04-10-2003 11:19 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was hoping that there was a trick, and that it wasn't the print.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 04-10-2003 12:17 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it's a really old print that is going "vinegar", the acid may be affecting the adhesion. Store prints as cool as possible, at about 30% RH, and vented or with Molecular Sieves.

John Schulien
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-10-2003 05:42 PM      Profile for John Schulien   Email John Schulien   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My understanding is that the "filmrenew" product has the side effect of dissolving tape splices. Perhaps you could obtain some of that and use it to remove the splices.

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-10-2003 06:24 PM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Recently, when removing a piece of tape from an old Eastman print, the emulsion came with it as well. Nothing else physically wrong with the print, but fortunately, it was at the tail of the film--no image loss.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-10-2003 08:15 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, sometimes on those old dye transfer prints you can successfully peel the tape off by finding that happy angle. In other words, if you normally peel at a 90 degree angle, try a 180 degree peel. It's been awhile so I can't remember which worked better, but the angle does make a difference. Also be sure and keep the film taught, as that helps a lot as well. I normally set the rewind bench to 5% and hold back the feed reel from spinning.

Of course if the tape was cheap crap to begin with, you're out of luck no matter what you do. I've never had the problem with Neumade clear tape though. Also you can use most any generic film cleaner if you want to try the dissolving approach.

John Anastasio
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-10-2003 09:55 PM      Profile for John Anastasio   Author's Homepage   Email John Anastasio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Film Renew is also fantastic for getting spots out of your neckties. [thumbsup]

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 04-11-2003 10:25 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure what qualifies as "really" old, but it is probably 20 - 30 years old I would guess, and it does have a slight vinegar odor.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2003 11:07 AM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Except for a handful of prints produced on the new dye transfer line in the late '90's, and a few British and Italian dye transfer prints struck in the later '70's, and a handful of Cinese dye transfer prints struck in the '80's (yea, lots of exceptions) the US Technicolor dye transfer lines ceased production with Godfather II in '74. By definition, virtually any dye tranfer Technicolor print you're likely to encounter will be 30+ years old, and the VS you mention is probably the cause of your "emulsion" stripping problem. The tape stripping problem you encountered should not be a routine horror.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 04-11-2003 11:16 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Again, even if a triacetate print has started to go "vinegar", the degradation can be greatly slowed by cool and dry storage, and the use of vented storage or Molecular Sieves in sealed cans to adsorb the acid vapors:

Film Storage

Vinegar Syndrome

Kodak Molecular Sieves

Film Preservation

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: