Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Strong Platter Wrapping Loosely (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Strong Platter Wrapping Loosely
Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-11-2003 01:52 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Strong A3 platter. 6 of them. Two of them brand new. Well 5 or 6 months old anyway. The others are a few years old. The older platters always take up the prints so that they are pretty tight. The newer ones do not wrap as tightly for some reason, even though the motors and variacs on all 6 platter systems are 100% identical. However over the past week one of the new platters and one of the older ones have begun wrapping prints very loosely no matter what deck is used for take up.

Any ideas on what can cause this, and perhaps a remedy?

|  IP: Logged

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2003 03:36 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
'Electrical Zero' of the take-up variac? The procedure for adjusting it is in the book.

Bill Langfield
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2003 09:30 AM      Profile for Bill Langfield   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Langfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fix of the Week - Pete wins. Bill wins next week (Exciter Problem - You'll love it)

Oh great, Pete, Im sure Joe is more informed now. After he reads the manual, should be an easy fix for him.

(Gezz, Joe read the damned book before posting here. What were you thinking?)

I look farward to hearing how Joe fixed the the problem after you gave him the solution.

(With Speco 270's hang a weight on the take up elevator - or clean & oil the dam shafts)
(With CNR-35's get three football players to tighten the spring)

Bill.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-11-2003 11:41 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't need to read the book. I already know how to do that procedure. I'll do it today and see if that helps. If it doesn't I will be sure to rub it in. [Smile]

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2003 01:27 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeez sorry, I was only trying to help.
I won't bother in the future.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 04-11-2003 02:58 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, Joe, I don't think that will help. I have had this phenomenoa happen on Xetron XNR's, CFS, Potts, and Strong. I have seen it happen once in a while on the AW-3's, too.

I never did figure out why, although I suspected the booth enviroment.

Then, the next day or so it would be just fine.

BTW, what is your RH in the booth?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-11-2003 04:00 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Paul, this seems like a wasted effort. It's not like the elevator gets heavier the closer it is to the top or bottom end of it's travel.

Peter Schoell
Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2003 07:31 PM      Profile for Peter Schoell   Email Peter Schoell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It seems to me the problem has to be in the elevator. The elevator has a constant weight on the rewinding film, if the rollers bind a little, this will cause less force and looser film. You could add a little weight to the elevator to see if this corrects trhe problem. I've used wrenches or even an old trailer.

A few times I've noticed spongy films, and thought for sure somebody let it run crooked on the sprocets and added a little dent between each sprocet hole on the film. When I check the film all I find is the slightest raise on the edge of each sprocket hole. Then I look for a hooked sprocket. The last sprocket in the sound head is usally the culprit, since it takes all the weight of the elevator.
I've also noticed I will have a spongy film, then the next film will be fine.
I don't know if anything in the production can dent the film a little.
I also have all Potts/Strong platters, most atleast 20 years old.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-11-2003 08:25 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I checked and re-adjusted (they were pretty much fine anyway). I'm not sure if it had any effect or not because I was too lazy to move the print from deck to deck today.

Bill Langfield
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2003 09:27 AM      Profile for Bill Langfield   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Langfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Pete, I was attempting to be FUNNY.

I should give that up. Always comes out wrong for me, even Joe missed the fact (I think. It's hard to tell with him) that I was trying to send you up; in a nice way.

I was simply having a go at the fact that you told Joe to read-the-book.
(aka Read-the-f***ing-manual) RTFM

THAT Said, I don't understand what you mean by 'Electrical Zero' Could tell me what that means?
(I dont have a strong platter manual to look it up)

Again Pete, sorry for another lame attempt at being funny. Perhaps I should have added some smilies to the post.

HEY Joe,
quote:
I don't need to read the book. I already know how to do that procedure. I'll do it today and see if that helps. If it doesn't I will be sure to rub it in.

Which procedure? How to read a book, or the Electrical Zero thing? [Smile]

Bill

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-12-2003 03:54 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even if I had the Strong manual memorized, the thought of resetting the electrical zero on the variac would have never occured to me. Pete offered a suggestion and I figured it couldn't hurt.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 04-12-2003 07:48 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Electrical zero to me is zilch! With the elevator fully lowered, the brush wiper on the variac will sit about 50% but the platter will go nowhere because of a switch. With the elevator fully raised, the brush wiper will be near the end of the variac.

If you fiddle with this and make a slip, you could very easily destroy the variac or bust the wiper brush if it reaches the end of the mechanical travel of the variac.

Remember the power of the take-up motor is determined by the position of the elevator. Also remember the take-up motor has a resistor that is switched into the motor circuit while the motor is in the take-up position.

Loose wind? Well, one cause could be feeble contact of the drive wheel to the platter dish. This would be evident by the elevator nulling at a lower level than normal. This condition will also cause a wilder-than-normal payout speed, such as fast over-shooting and under-shooting instead of a lazy over-shoot and under-shoot.

Be advised the variac adjustment very very rarely will become out of whack, unless someone abused the equipment or a couple of set screws came loose allowing the linkage to slip on the shaft.

Mike Perju
Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2003 08:11 PM      Profile for Mike Perju   Email Mike Perju   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Joe, All you have to do to wind the film tight is miss the top right hand corner roller of the elevator assembly. Be careful when you start up, or the elevator might bottom out before the platter catches up, piling film on the floor. 9 out of 10 platters (especially the newer ones) will start ok, but it's a mixture of how fast your projector starts up and how fast your platter takes up. If you ever come across a 35/70 Potts with 6 rollers on the elevator assembly be aware that missing one roller will make the film a little untight on the ring (when moving) but missing both top right hand corner rollers will make the film waaaaay too tight (I've had to pend 5 mins trying to unlock the ring)! Give it a try. If you need more clarification, I'll try to send you a picture. This method will mean 99.9% safe clamp-less print moves in 30 seconds or less... just make sure you can trust the centre ring latch.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 04-13-2003 04:59 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike's idea will work, but it's not a great solution for a platter that's winding loose all the time. With microswitch or phase control platters it will confuse the payout and you'll get uneven speed there.
The problem almost has to be with the dancer unit or else you have film rollers that are turning with drag. Possibly the dancer's wheels are binding on the tracks... you can undo the top and bottom screws on the 2 rods and adjust their position a bit to make it run freely. The film tension is directly related to the weight of the dancer, and that's not adjustable... if some rollers are dragging then some of the tension will be lost turning them though.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 04-13-2003 05:03 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wouldn't tension increase if you had rollers that weren't turning freely, since the film would have to pull harder to turn them?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: