Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Cleaning aluminum reels

Author Topic: Cleaning aluminum reels
Robert Throop
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2003 12:12 PM      Profile for Robert Throop   Email Robert Throop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have some reels that had been stored in a damp cellar. They've become corroded. Is there an easy way to clean these?

|  IP: Logged

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 04-11-2003 12:15 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe the same cleaners used for aluminum cookwear?

Might try using a dishwasher with dishwasher detergent (no other metals in there at the same time!).

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 04-11-2003 12:30 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
the same cleaners used for aluminum cookwear?
Wouldn`t that be rather uncomfortable to wear while cooking?
 -

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 04-11-2003 12:51 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We use acetone to clean (and prep) aluminum on aircraft. It works very well. If there is a lot of corrosion you may want to chip the bulk of it off with a paint scraper first.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 04-11-2003 04:38 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, now we've got them clean how do we UNbend them? Anyone have a clever way to straighten out bent reels?

Frank

Matthew Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2003 07:20 PM      Profile for Matthew Bailey   Email Matthew Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess a wood blodk & rubber mallet would do or somehow step on one of the inside flanges & careflully bend them by hand.
As for removing corrosion,sand them by hand & wipe them off with a towel or rag or use steel wool or a scouring pad.

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2003 07:42 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought an aluminum reel off Ebay that was very badly corroded.
My son works for a chemical sales supplier and got me a gallon of ALUMINUM CLEANER. This stuff is very caustic and you wouldn’t want to get it on you but anyway I sprayed some of that stuff on the reel, waited about 10 minutes and rinsed. Then polished it with Steel wool and washed and dried it off good and was amazed at the results. That reel looked just like a new one.
As far as straightening the reels out be careful if they are 2K reels. They will break if not handled carefully. Don’t try to bend it a whole lot at one time and you should be ok.

-
 -

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2003 09:10 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've used Simple Green "Lime Scale" remover (it's in a spray bottle).

Michael West
Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2003 10:55 PM      Profile for Michael West   Author's Homepage   Email Michael West   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i have a few of them, a couple were too badly bent so i cut them in half and made a clock - it is so cool!
i used an sos pad to clean them.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 04-14-2003 09:28 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Acid-containing cleaners are often used for removing rust or corrosion. But extreme care is needed when using them! [Eek!]

http://www.bced.gov.bc.ca/irp/resdocs/scisafe/moescisaf.pdf

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-14-2003 12:45 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Acid-containing cleaners are often used for removing rust or corrosion. But extreme care is needed when using them!
You are very right about that John, that shit I used you dont wont to breath in. But my reels were corroded pretty bad so I decided to bring out the big guns.

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-15-2003 11:14 AM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've used a fine-wire steel brush attachment in combination with a Dewalt cordless drill on all of my old Goldberg reels and old Drive-In speakers. The result was remarkable. They looked like Chrome by the time I was done. You have to use a very fine wire or it will start to shave off small bits of the metal.

I even used it to strip the paint off one of my Brenkerts.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-15-2003 12:19 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a company called Duragloss that makes several aluminum cleaning products meant for cars. We've used their #870 product...it comes in a can and is a fibrous felt-type material soaked with cleaner...you tear off a small piece of the felt and clean away. It works well, and you can put the felt back in the can, keep it and re-use it until it's black with crud!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: