Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Dumb question: What is the term for crappy splices between reels? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Dumb question: What is the term for crappy splices between reels?
Daniel Fuentz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2003 04:05 AM      Profile for Daniel Fuentz   Email Daniel Fuentz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I see this quite frequently in the local megaplexes. At every reel change there is a loud "THUMP" noise, or there is a "crackling" noise, or sometimes the picture "jumps" at the reel change. I find this really annoying, and was wondering what causes it. Is it just someone being sloppy when they're putting the film together?

|  IP: Logged

Brian Zeisler
Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2003 04:29 AM      Profile for Brian Zeisler   Email Brian Zeisler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
from my experience, i got that from using the solid yellow splicing tape. since the solid yellow tape completely covers the entire frame, you get that brief instant of black between the reels and the sound reader cant read the sound because, basically speaking, there's nothing there to read. [thumbsup]

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2003 06:36 AM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Daniel,

Thank you for posting your question in this forum. There are no "Dumb Questions" only people too dumb to ask them.

In this forum the term you refer to is "Film Done Wrong!"

Please notice the tool bar at the left of your screen. Select the "TIPS" area and then select the "Splicing Tips" page for a very good description of how splices should be made.

If there is any gap between the stips of film after they are taped together, that will upset the film in its path through the projector. The clear space in the sound track area is the same as a full volume recording of a gunshot. All of these symptoms can be eliminated by using proper splicing techniques, machinery and materials.

I hope that we have been helpful.

KEN

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 04-12-2003 10:01 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tried the way they show in the splicer tips section but I found that the picture tended to jump a little more at the splice than I wanted. Now what I do is just take a sharpie pen and if there is a bit of a gap at the splice I cover the gap with a small mark. Works great does not make a thump or anything. Years ago problems could arise when letting that sudden pop go through. There had been instances of horn diaphrams being damaged. And the pop was just so anoying to the audience.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-12-2003 10:49 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
An overlap splice will definitely jump if your projector gate and trap are not aligned properly.

You will get a high frequency "pop" in the audio if there is any gap on a butt splice.

You will get a low frequency "thump" in the audio if you bloop the splice. (Not all systems have proper low frequency response to hear it though, and this is generally considered less distracting than letting a splice "pop". A properly made overlap splice is about as flawless as a splice for optical sound can get.)

Christopher Seo
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2003 10:57 AM      Profile for Christopher Seo   Email Christopher Seo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since I work at a single-screen theatre and have an obsessive-compulsive disorder, I can afford to spend my time cutting small triangles of tape and placing them just-so to cover the analog track. I use good tape (Permacel) and place it over the splicing tape so it's simple to remove, in any case. It works well, especially with nasty lab splices and sub-run prints that were previously built up with large splice gaps. We are an analog-only house; I don't think I'd bother with this if we were playing a film in digital.

Darryl's comment about the splice pops causing speaker damage leads me to wonder why. Although they're obviously loud and annoying, I don't see how they could be that much louder than the optical track itself at 100% modulation (taking into account any minor overscanned part of the soundtrack that would pick up additional popping). Certainly an impulse signal such as that would contain a lot of high frequencies, but it would still be subject to the same slit rolloff as the optical soundtrack.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 04-12-2003 11:51 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think 100% modulation of an actual track is going to be anywhere close in physical size to a full width sliver of a gap going by, not to mention that the attenuation of the film base isn't there either. I don't know about the HF business either. I understand your premise--a nearly square waveform, Fourier and all that--but I doubt it really it's seen by the pickup as that clean edged. Slit loss correction (pre-amp HF gain) would compensate anyway.

David Rigby
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2003 12:13 PM      Profile for David Rigby   Email David Rigby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I usually use the clear splicing tape with yellow stripes for reel joins. If there is a slight gap then I make sure the yellow stripe covers the soundtrack at the join (but doesn't appear in frame, obviously [Wink] ). I haven't noticed any distracting squeaks or thuds on reel changes that have been spliced that way. That said, don't know if it's regarded as bad practice or not...just know that it seems to work for me!

David

Christopher Seo
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2003 01:13 PM      Profile for Christopher Seo   Email Christopher Seo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve,

I was assuming that, since the soundhead isn't supposed to be scanning more than 100% (or 102% as I recall from some other discussion) of the optical soundtrack width, the intensity of any pop should be limited to 102% of max optical level, which would represent an increase of a very small fraction of 1 dB. Good point about the film base not being there. I suppose it should also be taken into account that a splice gap has no septum between Lt and Rt information which would further increase the signal... but still, only another fraction of a dB. Perhaps it's the summing of the pop to center?

As far as slit loss EQ, I was assuming that Darryl's "Years ago" situation implied older equipment that probably wouldn't produce an A-chain flat to 16 kHz. In any case, my point was that a pop, though rich in hf, would be subject to the same A-chain limitations as an actual soundtrack rich in hf.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 04-12-2003 02:23 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Christopher wrote:
Good point about the film base not being there.

Also the clear part of the emulsion on the VA track would have a non-zero density as well.

But I'd wager that the lack of the septum gap and difference between maximum modulation and the full scanned width is more significant than you suspect.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 04-12-2003 07:16 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My referance to the horns blowing out is with equipment that originated in the mid 70's and was not the best stuff to begin with. Mono sound was also used so it was not using a stereo cell so the signal was not split for stereo reproduction. I was screening a film once in a mono theater and a bad factory splice passed thru as soon as it popped the highs pooped out and we had to replace the diaphram. Since then we had to bloop the splices to prevent those inferior horns from going out. The newer higher quality and sturdier horns of today should be able to handle such pops but you would not want the audience to hear that.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 04-12-2003 10:22 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Daniel Fuentz: What is the term for crappy splices between reels?

Answer: Fuck ups!

[Big Grin]

Daniel Fuentz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2003 10:24 PM      Profile for Daniel Fuentz   Email Daniel Fuentz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for answering my question! At the multiplex I frequent, they have at least one person who builds films properly (I saw "The Hunted" there and all the splices were clean) and at least one person who doesn't pay attention ("Phone Booth" had some really nasty jumping splices [thumbsdown] ). I wonder if I am going to have to start asking who put the film together before paying my $8! [Smile]

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 04-12-2003 10:46 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regarding Daryl's comments: what type of horns did you have? I don't doubt that it's possible, but I'm curious about the equipment.

I've worked at several places with 1950s Altec Voice of the Theatre systems. I have only seen two blown horn diaphragms, which was the result of stupidity involving a wireless microphone user (which had nothing to do with film...the same guy blew both of them within the same month). Head and tail leaders running through the soundhead would seem to be a bigger problem than lab splices (assuming that the operators were incompetent enough to run the leaders through in the first place... [Mad] ), and, again, there were never any issues.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 04-12-2003 11:21 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You, as the paying customer, have the right to get your money's worth!

If customers just sit by and say nothing when they are dissatisfied with the quality of the product they are paying for there will NEVER be any improvement.

If you and others start asking questions and making complaints, management will eventually be forced to improve their quality... Or else you'll take your business elsewhere!

Even if there are no other movie theaters in your area you can STILL stay home and watch it on home video! And you should tell them that too!

The number one way to stick a (proverbial) knife in ANY self-respecting theater manager's heart is to say these five little words:

"I'll wait for the video!"

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: