Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Had to order 2000' reels, but came with no cores.

Author Topic: Had to order 2000' reels, but came with no cores.
Kyle Watkins
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2003 08:53 PM      Profile for Kyle Watkins   Email Kyle Watkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i odrder 6 2000' reels through TES. but none of them came with cores. Has any one eles seen this stupidy. Reason i had to order reels is that we got a print in ( used) that some one had takken the cores out and put in trailers cores instead. This aint the first time ive seen that happen. Now ive thrown away reels before, because they were broken, but you dont take the cores out.

|  IP: Logged

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 04-12-2003 10:41 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If anyone finds a cheap source for new or used 4" cores, please post it here. The 2" cores are used for camera stock and 3" cores are used for lab stock, and so both of those sizes are readily available for free or almost free. The 4" cores seem to be specially made for release prints and are much harder to come by. I had a big box of the 4" cores once, but I've used almost all of them by now.

Michael Rourke
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2003 11:54 PM      Profile for Michael Rourke   Email Michael Rourke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Goldberg sells the 4" cores for 90 cents a piece, I'm not sure if they are the 3 hole cores or not, but TES should either use reel flanges that lock together through the center of the core or use the proper 3 hole cores for B and C reels.

Mike Perju
Film Handler

- posted 04-13-2003 02:10 AM      Profile for Mike Perju   Email Mike Perju   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, I traded our Technicolor depot here in Toronto shipping cans for cores... and had no problem. They were very prompt and asked no questions. I traded a number of 3 reel shipping cans (with reels) for 25 4' cores each. Give it a try...

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-13-2003 10:32 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I beleive that Reel Enterprises has 4 and 5" cores available

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 04-13-2003 10:48 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just give TES a call and tell them your situation. They will send you the cores.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-13-2003 12:58 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
About once per year we order a dozen reels from TES under the theory that their reels come in broken, we just swap out the flanges and send them back fixed. It always takes two our three phone calls to convince TES to send out the reels. They never send cores, but we have never needed them either, the cores don't break.

Helmut E. Dorausch
Film Handler

- posted 04-14-2003 12:01 PM      Profile for Helmut E. Dorausch   Author's Homepage   Email Helmut E. Dorausch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We can provide you with four inch cores for $0.30 each.
(full box quantity only. 100 cores)
Please provide address and either Fedex or Airborne acct: info.

The reason you do not receive cores with the reels, is that the situation you came across (film wound onto trailer cores)
is an unfortunate occurance which rarely happens. ETS and TES
distribute on 4 inch cores Domestically. I would forward your displeasure to whomever you received this print from

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: