Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » HOT projection booths (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: HOT projection booths
Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-16-2003 01:05 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone here have to work in a projection booth that's lacking a/c or is just downright hot? I'm not talking just uncomfortable-because-we-want-to-save-money, I mean HOT, as in 85F+?

What effects does this have on the equipment or film? Are there any OSHA regulations regarding the temperature of a working environment?

=TMP=

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-16-2003 01:31 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have worked in projection booths without a/c, and they are a bitch [Mad] . Where I'm at the winters are cold, so the booth was nice in comparison to the rest of the building. Some ushers would come upstairs just to warm up. However, the summers were just plain murder. I've seen thermometers showing 90+ degrees. Obviously thats not good for the equipment and we advised the owners of this. One owner's wife suggested removing ceiling tiles since hot air rises [Roll Eyes] . We now have a/c, but in my opinion it was two years too late.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 04-16-2003 01:41 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One booth where I used to work full time, now only occasionally, is consistently over 100F half the year and over 85F the other half. The 100 degree difference between inside the booth and outside (to do the marquee) in the winter is good for a little chill.

Mind you air conditioned booths can be just as bad. Last summer the air conditioner in the booth I was working in full time went a little haywire for a couple weeks. The average temperature was 50F.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 04-16-2003 02:09 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My booth is air conditioned here. The only time it heats up is when we run double-system shows. It's not that much compared to running some of those old carbon-arc booths in Los Angeles. A friend told me a story of this operator at this theatre in the valley area of Los Angeles. It was a old single screen Fox theatre, with the restrooms located upstairs. One staircase to the Mens and the booth. And the other to the ladies and the managers office and the extra booth exit. So one Hot day in the summer, this operator was working during the day shift. It was over 100 outside. During those days the operators of some theatres would strip down to their undershorts [Eek!] , in some of those booths. No one would come into the booth, you had the doors bolted. So this operator opened the extra booth exit to see what kind of business it looked like downstair. (You could see [eyes] the lobby from that spot)So he walks out and the door closes. [Eek!] He had the wait to see the manager to let him back into the booth. I never found out what else happened or who it was from the local.

John Westlund
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-16-2003 02:13 PM      Profile for John Westlund   Email John Westlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been working in our booth when the temp is over 100 degrees. WAY TOO HOT

Patrick McDonough
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-16-2003 02:31 PM      Profile for Patrick McDonough   Email Patrick McDonough   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have a booth upstairs that can easilly hit 90-100 degrees in the summer

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 04-16-2003 03:43 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I worked a booth in the State Nut House (Northern State Hospital) many years ago. In the summertime, I know it got hotter than a firecracker.

I was always afraid to work there. I was afraid the "attendents" would mistake me as a patient. [Roll Eyes] [Eek!] [Razz] [Big Grin]

Another booth I worked in that the temperatures exceeded 100 degrees was the El Cine Mexacano in Burlington, WA. The owner and I tore down a wall to get some circulation in it. It was one of those iron boxes just big enough to house the machinery, a rewind bench, and a chair. I had to run that booth because I was the low man on the union's totem pole, and nobody else wanted to touch it.

Michael West
Film Handler

- posted 04-16-2003 04:21 PM      Profile for Michael West   Author's Homepage   Email Michael West   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
our 17 plex comprises of 3 seperate booths, one 10 a two and a 5 plex = 17! all booths have ac with varying degrees of unreliability so a booth can get really hot in the summer, (our cp500 sound processors i feel are affected by this as it can get very cold when we first start the day then it becomes very hot as the day goes on and this coupled with our high humidity affect the cards in our cp500 often causing the show to start or end without changing the sound in or out of intermission music) at least that is my theory, it happens almost every day.

William Leland III
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-16-2003 04:42 PM      Profile for William Leland III   Author's Homepage   Email William Leland III   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When your thermostat reads 72 it cold is cold up here, when it reads 73 it is hot. [Roll Eyes] It might have something to do with our built in de-humidifier.

Never had any problems with equipment or film, except when the humidity drops low or high, which effects film

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-16-2003 04:43 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The booth at the Skyline Drive-in theater (Shelton, Wash.) frequently is very hot! The booth faces directly into the hot sun most of the day and the booth has huge picture windows. With the building being made of cinder block, NO insulation, and being directly over the hamburger grill of the kitchen the booth normally runs 95 degrees. Sometimes it gets to 110 degrees!

Very early and very late in the season when it's still cold outside (like below 50 degrees F) the booth is actually comfortable with the booth temp at 75 degrees.

This heat is not good for the equipment that's for sure and with the picture windows a person has to watch how much clothing is taken off! [Eek!]

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-16-2003 04:43 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If your booth gets much above 80 F you are asking for trouble with electronics. It may not happen right away, but you are shortining the life of anything electronic. Inside the equipment the temp. will be much higher than the surrounding air. The damage will compond over time. Always make sure you keep air vents on equipment clean, and unrestricted.

John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-16-2003 05:12 PM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You haven't lived until you've worked one of the old drive-ins on a hot summer night, with those big old Ashcraft carbon arcs blazing away! Changeovers were a hoot- sit outside, dart in, strike up, make the changeover, throw the reel from the outgoing projector onto the rewind. Then thread and check the carbons. Take the rewound reel out and throw it in the film cabinet. Dart back outside to cool off.

Gordon Bachlund and John Pytlack can relate to that, I'm sure. [Smile]

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 04-16-2003 05:23 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can relate to that John. It also usually includes darting back into the booth to avoid the mosquitos outside. Big open field and no breeze, go figure.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 04-16-2003 05:55 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John, so can I. [Smile]

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 04-16-2003 06:42 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
John, so can I... The Walake Drive-In...now long gone. [Frown]

Pass me another PiC. [Big Grin]

>>> Phil

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: