Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Is everything in DTS-ES now? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Is everything in DTS-ES now?
John Wilson
Film God

- posted 04-17-2003 02:06 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lately, pretty much every disc I'm getting from DTS has the five-digit ES code on it. This makes a pretty big change from recent times when you could pretty much count the recent releases in ES/EX on two hands...

Has the coding system changed or is ES being used a helluva lot more nowadays...eben on things you'd not expect like Anger Management and Bringing Down The House. Interestingly, these films generally do not auto EX on the CP650 so this also leads me to ask the above question.

Thanks and it's nice to see you guys again.

John

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-17-2003 04:15 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do they auto-ES on a DTS-ES unit?

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-17-2003 06:22 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Something must be amiss with those 5-digit serial numbers.

Normally, most theatrial releases supporting DTS-ES also support Dolby Digital Surround EX as well. According to Dolby's website, the Lord of the Rings films and Matrix films are the only ones showing DD-EX.

Another interesting note is their "previously released DD-EX films" list. They have separate columns for theatrical release and DVD. It seems like a lot of movies are getting DD-EX only on the home theater end.
http://www.dolby.com/movies/films_previous.html

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-17-2003 06:29 PM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is an "auto ES" on the DTS-ES unit. All they have to do is program it for that function.

Karen at DTS
khultgren@dtsonline.com

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-18-2003 01:35 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah I like the DTS-ES unit. I got two of them when Episode 1 came out. I guess my post was a bit ambiguous, but the question was actually directed towards John. I was asking if the DTS discs engage the auto-ES feature. If they did, then I would certainly assume that the movie is in ES.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 04-19-2003 03:31 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Then I shall direct my answer to you Joe. [Smile]

I don't have an ES unit.

Damn...I have everything else [Wink]

Add to that list How To Lose A Guy In Ten Days...now why would THIS be in ES? I've always thought if it was in ES then it is in EX. Is that not a fact?

Dolby should really start making the labs or whomever start writing EX on the leaders. Take the guesswork out of it for me.

Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2003 03:59 AM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Properly marked prints, mainly regarding soundformat, but in this area even picture format, seems to be a place in Siberia (no offence meant against Siberian members !).
When marked EX, I believe, Karen has explained, You can be sure, the film is also ES, but this as well as picture format ought to be on leaders as well as film cans to secure correct presentation, including shows, where You receive the print so late, that You have no chance to run a test.
Trouble is, that distributors doesn't even know, what it is all about: Wheather it is lack of knowledge or plain givin' up, 'cause they know that half the theaters have 2 lenses only and don't care, I don't know, but those damned dogme-films (danish invention, [Frown] ) are delivered here in cans, marked WideScreen 1:37 : 1, and a big house as UIP DK simply denies to distinct 1:66 from 1:85 when labelling - all prints just marked "WS" !!
Posters - not only local versions, but often international, too, comes with a logo, just saying "Dolby" and a double d and nothing more, even if film has every possible soundtrack on it.
Then why spend a lot of time and money to make a top quality soundtrack, if it is no even used for marketing the film ??
I think sloppy is the word...

Per

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 04-20-2003 04:28 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, if it's marked EX and it is then to be deemed automatically ES, does this not work the other way also? ES is automatically EX?

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 04-20-2003 11:53 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes.

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-21-2003 11:53 AM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If a film is labeled "EX" it is Dolby extended surround. If it is "ES", it is DTS. Usually, if a film is released in EX it will also be in ES.

Karen at DTS
khultgren@dtsonline.eocm

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-21-2003 04:55 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Usually? [Confused]

Isn't it like Pro logic? Stereo film IS pro logic (if pro logic was applied to the original track).

Bye
Antonio

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-22-2003 05:48 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Antonio, You are right.
Mark

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 04-27-2003 01:10 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to everyone for their responses. Michael Shaeffer you seem to have a definate response which logically, would work with me. However, are you saying this with definate knowledge or is that your assumption? Please confirm.

Honestly though...there's no other forum where so many film makers and equipment makers and film handlers get together in the whole world...if I can't get my answer here, what hope does the industry have of having their films played in the correct format? AND that being the case, if they care so little for the exhibitor as to not bother labelling print leaders with ACCURATE information, then why bother with EX in the first place?

It used to be so simple...(sigh)

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-27-2003 07:10 AM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IN your knowledge, is it possibile to have a source in Pro Logic and convert it in normal stereo? It is nonsense, I know, but here in Italy the first "Lord of the Ring" DVD cames out with English EX and Italian 5.1. There are two possibilities
1. The distributor knows that many people know nothing on EX and says that the first edition doesn't have EX code so that they can sell the second edition... [Big Grin]
2. For budget reason (or others) they cannot afford EX license (I'm guessing) and there is a way to remove the EX/ES code from the recording...

Perhaps can be the same in the cinema?

A producer cannot afford EX/ES and print their movies with WX but with no ES... Karen, is there a difference in price if the soundtrack is recorder ES/EX? I'm not talking about mixing, just the money that producers has to pay to DTS/Dolby for the use of the technology.

Bye
Antonio

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-27-2003 08:01 AM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WX? [Confused]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: