Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » nelp needed rebuilding a Spectra 90 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: nelp needed rebuilding a Spectra 90
Mat Fleming
Film Handler

- posted 04-17-2003 07:08 AM      Profile for Mat Fleming   Email Mat Fleming   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -
I help run a 16mm only (voluntary)theatre.
I'm trying to get us up to lofty 35mm hights.
WE've picked up some old Spectre90s, (the pedestal ones)
I know they've not got the best rep.
We want to strip out the automation bits and may or may
not fit a new rectifier. Does a rectifier need to be
specific to the Bulbs wattage? our screens only 8" tall
so we'll be downsizing the bulb which has been in it.
Anyone got a manual for this Projector or the very most basic
circuit diagram for igniting a bulb? or hints at finding
new apeture plates?

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-17-2003 09:34 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Per the FAQ: "no teaser subject titles". You need to edit the title to something more descriptive or we will close this discussion.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 04-17-2003 12:53 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mat wrote:

quote:

our screens only 8" tall

Eight inches tall? What are you using, a sheet of A4 paper? [Smile]

Sorry, I can't help you with those machines.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 04-17-2003 03:56 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"WE've picked up some old Spectre90s, (the pedestal ones)"

Never heard of this... is it a common make?

"We want to strip out the automation bits and may or may
not fit a new rectifier. Does a rectifier need to be specific to the Bulbs wattage? our screens only 8" tall so we'll be downsizing the bulb which has been in it."

I imagine you mean 8 feet. The rectifier has to run a lamp within its output range. Usually trying to turn one down too far results in poor/no lamp ignition, as the rectifier won't supply enough open circuit voltage or starting current.

"Anyone got a manual for this Projector or the very most basic
circuit diagram for igniting a bulb? or hints at finding
new apeture plates?"

Igniting a xenon bulb requires a high voltage igniter, this puts ~40KV across the bulb electrodes to start the arc going. Most igniters use a line powered Tesla coil circuit that can be fired via a manual button or an automatic system that senses the higher open circuit lamp voltage when the rectifier is on but the lamp is off.
The circuitry is quite simple in concept, but most lamphouses have fans and safety interlocks that make it look complex. Download any Strong lamphouse manual - ie the Super Lume-X - there's a circuit diagram that is pretty generic.

Be very careful when working with xenon lamps. The ignitor makes quite deadly voltages, and the open circuit DC from the rectifier is fatally dangerous as well. Xenon lamps themselves are pressurized to the point of being explosive and you should wear proper protective gear if you are opening a xenon lamphouse or handling a lamp.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 04-17-2003 04:24 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spectra series may be the units imported from China which could be the Shanghai Harvest portable units or the Dong Feng / Tiajin cinema projector....a photograph would nail it.
Richard Fowler
Kinoton America Inc.....the nice projector people [Wink]

Jonathan Worthing
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-17-2003 05:11 PM      Profile for Jonathan Worthing   Email Jonathan Worthing   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How big is your sledge hammer. the first thing you need to do is put it through the power supply. A Widow Maker. [evil] [thumbsdown] [thumbsdown] [thumbsdown]

I serviced a pair back in the dark ages, I thought it was the kind of thing you would see in some secondary school used for keeping the kids amused, Last day of term.

If I have any notes on it I will let you know..

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-17-2003 05:34 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think we've got some bits and pieces for these things, we bought most of the Spectra spares when the then UK agent shut up shop (CSS I think they were called).

Richard, they sometimes go by the name of 'Fun Dun' (spelling?) here, but I think they are the same machine you're talking about.

The electrics/electronics are crap, Robins ran some of these things, nearest to me were in residence at Durham, back in teh days when Robins serviced their equipment we were never done with repairing the rectifier. The best thing you could do would be to throw away the on board and hook up a T&R or similar PSU for the bulb. If the mechanicals are in halfway decent order the will give a respectable performance. Edinburgh Film Guild has a pair which have been running for years and years wth little fuss (Admittedly only a couple of times a month)

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-17-2003 06:30 PM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hope I am not pi**ing on your chips but do you have a separate projection room ie: not projecting from inside the auditorium.

AFAIK you can, under whatever version of the Cinematograph Act your Fire Officer/Licensing Authority wants to go, by project 16mm from the back row (or anywhere else) in the cinema . Move up to 35mm and, because many of these people don't realise that nitrate isn't used very much nowadays you need a separate projection room. [Roll Eyes]
They may even insist on fire shutters so the dangerous film doesn't wipe out the audience [Eek!] [Confused]

Kevin Baglow
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-17-2003 09:43 PM      Profile for Kevin Baglow   Author's Homepage   Email Kevin Baglow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SPECTRA 90 must be an English modified JGS from Shanghai. Lots of JGS parts have been sent to a few film societys in England who are useing them. Parts are cheep and plentyfull -a new inermittent unit is only a couple of hundred dollars. They are still selling well to smaller country towns for community cinemas and travelling cinemas in Australia. There are even small multiplexes useing them for 8 sessions a day. A mate built an automation unit to strike an cut the Xenon on a foil cue- at the start and end of the show. The unit also does an automatic change over between 2 of these projectors, with 2000ft reels (useing foil cues)

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-17-2003 10:30 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to see a good, clear picture of this Spectra 90 machine.

Kevin Baglow
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-18-2003 03:30 AM      Profile for Kevin Baglow   Author's Homepage   Email Kevin Baglow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There a pic of JGS on:
www.filmtheatres.com
There in the Mt Isa installation. The two projectors together mounted off the wall- I will ad some clearer pictures soon.

Mat Fleming
Film Handler

- posted 04-18-2003 07:36 AM      Profile for Mat Fleming   Email Mat Fleming   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the great responses [thumbsup]
oops, yes, I was talking feet not inches and we do have a proper booth - the photo's from somewhere else.
The projectors in question come out of the Robins Durham
saddly departed (no graemlin with a tear saddly) and they are
Chinese imports (Kaylee copies I've been told)
They are big pedestal things with horrible looking rectifiers in the base and I'm off home now to get a photograph.

..A few minutes later..

-

Here it is. Not as clear as I remember it.
left to right-
pedestal, lamphouses, idiot, mech heads, rectifier

What do y'all think?

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 04-18-2003 08:37 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dong Feng / Tiajin unit........
Richard Fowler
Kinoton America Inc.

Mat Fleming
Film Handler

- posted 04-18-2003 08:57 AM      Profile for Mat Fleming   Email Mat Fleming   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What does that mean for a first timer like me?
Are there similar models with different names?

Kevin Baglow
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-18-2003 06:35 PM      Profile for Kevin Baglow   Author's Homepage   Email Kevin Baglow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh...DONG FENG not JGS. I'm useing three of them in my 3plex. They have the 3kw rectifiers and lamps. I'm just getting a replacement main transformer in one of the rectifiers. Parts are still cheep and readyly available. Pics on:
www.filmtheatres.com

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: