Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Coke Matrix Commercials: "SPLICE HERE" frames

Author Topic: Coke Matrix Commercials: "SPLICE HERE" frames
Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 04-17-2003 01:06 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Setting aside the fact that the commercial itself is pretty lame, the first frame of picture on the film is immediately preceeded by a frame with large letters saying...
"\/ SPLICE HERE \/"
And the last frame is immediately followed by...
"/\ SPLICE HERE /\"

Now, how do you interpret this? Since everyone knows that the correct place to cut the head is a good two dozen frames before that frame, does one just assume that "SPLICE HERE" is part of the commercial?

Clearly this is just a pathetically produced piece of crap that by its design is impossible to "do right." So, how would you best compromise in a situation like this? Yes, it's just a commercial, but that's not the point. Our Movie Tickets.com trailers have giant vertical white bars running down every black frame right up till the first picture too, and it also looks like crap on the screen. Do you just cut it there and forget it? Or cut it in the right spot and leave the "SPLICE HERE" frames in place as an [fu] to Coke? Or do you cut in the right place, then somehow block or remove the "SPLICE HERE" frames?

|  IP: Logged

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 04-17-2003 02:12 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I think it is a good idea, and hopefully projectionists will remove that frame when they do splice.

I would presume there is a lead-in on the sound track that should not be removed from the film.

It makes me angry when people "guess" where to splice, and they cut out part (if not all) of the sound track during a black-out scene that is supposed to be heard by the audience.

With analog soundtracks, that is 20 frames (inclusive) before the head of picture.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-17-2003 07:55 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like someone beat me to this. Our theater is running these horrible things as well, and I thought the Will Rogers ones were crap!!

Paul -- From what you said, I assume you haven't seen one of these trailers. The "SPLICE HERE" is on the absolute last frame of black before and after the image, so you would be leaving NO black at all at the beginning or end. (Not that there was enough to begin with anyway...) What's more, there IS sound present in the black area before the "SPLICE HERE" message.

And, to top it all off nice and sweet, the Scope versions of these trailers are windowboxed HORRIBLY off-center. I thought the lens was out of alignment the first time I saw this run, but looking at the film itself, the black bar on the left side is MUCH thicker than the one on the right.

All in all: [puke]

But that's what The Matrix gets for selling out to Powerade. Bastards...

=TMP=

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 04-17-2003 08:19 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hahaha....anyway, make sure the soundtrack is clean of intelligence where the splice is made. [Smile]

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-17-2003 09:37 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could you maybe take some yellow splicing tape and just cover the thing?

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-17-2003 10:51 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll try to scan in a copy of this junk tommorrow night to show those who have the pleasure of not having to deal with it what the rest of us have to work around.

For me, I colored over the 'Splice here' with a black magic marker and then covered that with white splicing tape, one side only. It doesn't cause much of a jump going through the projector.

Daniel Fuentz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-18-2003 02:39 AM      Profile for Daniel Fuentz   Email Daniel Fuentz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just saw this tonight -- it looks like [bs] ! It projected all the way to the right of the screen at the theater I saw it at. I wonder if this was some idiot producer's idea to do that on purpose -- it did make the ad stand out amongst all the others that were projected in the center of the screen, but for the wrong reason!

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 04-18-2003 07:24 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm thinking of ordering all new ones and saying that the projectionist on duty cut them all in the wrong place. Then cut them in the CORRECT place, and leave that frame there. Since, obviously, someone who knows a lot more about producing trailers must have intended it to be there for some reason.

Sorry. This shit really pisses me off. All I need is someone like Brad to come in and watch a movie and think that *I* am an idiot for not knowing how to cut heads and tails off trailers without cutting the soundtrack.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-18-2003 09:00 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The words splice here is standard on large format prints that have no married soundtrack.
They denote the location of the first and last frame of picture

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2003 02:44 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But are they intended to be projected Gordon?

I forgot to bring a sample home tonight, I will tommorrow. But if one adhered to the 'splice here' mark there would be NO black before the picture and the soundtrack would get chopped off.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-19-2003 09:40 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No they mark the last frame of the leader and the first frame of the tail piece

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 04-20-2003 12:29 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So let me get this straight, they put a "Splice Here" frame in a place that will cause you to cut soundtrack audio? See what happens when TV people try to do film?! Boy am I glad I work in venues where I never have to run commercials.

Well if you HAVE to run these pieces of trash, I guess rather than cutting the sound, I would cut out that single frame so that the lead-in sound starts correctly rather than jump starts.

Frank

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-20-2003 12:48 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I guess rather than cutting the sound, I would cut out that single frame so that the lead-in sound starts correctly rather than jump starts.
Sadly enough that doesn't work either because the leader isn't clean black, but a dirty mess of garbage. In these situations almost always the beginning of the audio must be chopped off.

Darren Briggs
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2003 06:06 PM      Profile for Darren Briggs   Author's Homepage   Email Darren Briggs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some Dolby and THX logos have splice here marks, which make it so easy when cutting off the crap at the start and end, it also ensures dumb ass projectionist don't cut off the sound at the start or the end.
Darren

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: