Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Christie AW3 speed cntrl sensor

Author Topic: Christie AW3 speed cntrl sensor
Douglas Manning
Film Handler

- posted 04-18-2003 05:06 PM      Profile for Douglas Manning   Email Douglas Manning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know of a substitute LED for the Christie AW3 speed control sensor's LED. Christie gave me Mouser part# 521-9173 (Dialight), but Mouser no longer carries it and doesn't have a listed replacement. More importantly, any suggestions on what part is actually failing if the "LO" adjustment cannot be set low enough (never "off").

(later) Came across "More Christie AW3R problems" post. So now I have to ask (in particular of Brad, as he does seem the guru on the topic), can I simply replace the LED and photocell (with similar parts) of older control assemblies w/o replacing the filter, cards, etc? If so, do you have part numbers? I have (and have replaced) the photocell with the Clairex CL5M5 - after which the assemblies seemed to operate exactly the same - problems included.

[ 04-18-2003, 06:36 PM: Message edited by: Douglas Manning ]

|  IP: Logged

Michael Rourke
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2003 06:50 PM      Profile for Michael Rourke   Email Michael Rourke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can order a new control sensor assembly which would replace the whole thing not just a cell or LED. You do not have to replace the filter if you replace the control sensor assembly with another one but if you order a photodiode then you have to install a new filter and LED power card. The part numbers are in the AW3 manaul on the manuals page, or if you want a hard copy just email Christie and ask for one.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 04-20-2003 08:08 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just checking...

Have you tried:

Swapping out a control card with one that is known to be working?
Swapping sensors?
Motors?

BTW I solved this problem once by making an adjustment to the shaded disc. It needed a teensy sliver more of black, so I got some electrical tape and made a wedge. Platter's been working fine now for over a year.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-20-2003 10:04 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just get a 2V red LED thats the same physical size at Radio Shack and recalibrate the LED adjustment. They work fine. Done it myself a number of times......
Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: